HVAC ductwork

So I have a house built in the 50s. I recently replaced the hvac because it was having a lot of issues. Winter was fine, summer comes and the house won’t stay cool. Hvac guy says it’s because the old ductwork won’t let the hvac breathe. I might even have to get the 14x30 hole in the floor enlarged.

Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? If I want a second quote do I just pick whoever has the best online reviews? 1380 Sq ft house what am I probably looking at?

Sigh.

I’d get a second quote. When I replaced the furnace and AC 5 years ago the company said that the ducts were fine. They had installed the duct work 22 years before that.

Hi StockGoddess,

“Winter was fine, summer comes and the house won’t stay cool. Hvac guy says it’s because the old ductwork won’t let the hvac breathe. I might even have to get the 14x30 hole in the floor enlarged.”

This has a “tinge of odor” IMO.

If the airflow is sufficient for heating why is it insufficient for cooling???

If the 14x30 is the return air, that should have plenty of volume capacity, about 1,000 CFM.

If the new system has a much higher airflow, that could be an issue. Is the system multi-speed? Does the heating and cooling run at different fan speeds?

What about the filter? Changed/cleaned recently?

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx

5 Likes

Get a quote for installing Mitsubishi mini-splits. Might be significantly less $$$$ than redoing the HVAC and ductwork at this point, and perfect for a 1400sf house. Outside condenser, quiet, customizable locations.

2 Likes