IIPR - 2018 Double???

I’m reluctant to post anything about this stock on this board. It doesn’t meet most of the criteria necessary to be followed here. Here’s a summary of what they do:

Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc. is a self-advised Maryland corporation focused on the acquisition, ownership and management of specialized industrial properties leased to experienced, state-licensed operators for their regulated medical-use cannabis facilities. Innovative Industrial Properties, Inc. intends to elect to be taxed as a real estate investment trust. Additional information is available at www.innovativeindustrialproperties.com.

I bought a tiny position about a year ago, not long after they went public. It drifted until about September and then started to climb. In the last month or so it has exploded to the upside on much greater than average volume. My initial investment (speculation is probably a better word) is now up 85% in just under a year (most of it in the last month). And they pay $1.00/year dividend, about 3.1%. As I write (1/2/2018, 12:23 PST) the stock is up 12.5% on the day. Four officers just unloaded a bunch of shares. There are only 3.5M shares outstanding. It doesn’t take much activity to move the needle. California just legalized recreational marijuana. That might have something to do with it, though IIPR says they cater exclusively to medical marijuana growers. It wouldn’t be a big leap for them to change that declaration, though it would put them in a higher risk category.

Will they double this year? I really don’t have a clue and I don’t think there’s any way to make a reasonable analysis. For all intents and purposes, there’s no financial history. But, I increased my share count last week. IIPR is now slightly over 1% of my collective portfolio across three accounts.

Just thought I’d pass it along. Make of it what you will. Caveat Emptor.

10 Likes

Yes…along with VFFIF, CBWTF, TWMJF, ACBFF, APHQF, MEDFF, to name just a few…

Join the ride…Pot ETF. HMMJ.TO but listed in the US as HMLSF

But be prepared for legislation dragging on and totally irrational days(like today for example) and also make sure that you don’t bet the farm on any of these Companies…this could be the year but again don’t bet a lot on pot unless you are a gambler or have an instinct, plus a true believer that Medical M is not only good for you but can help those that need desperately need it.

No matter how strongly you might believe that medical marijuana is a godsend or that there’s no stopping the growth (pun intended) in the recreational marijuana market, it’s just way too early to sort out winners from losers. There will be a shakeout, probably more than one. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Monsanto or Altria end up with most of the market when it comes to growers.

That’s why I put a tiny bit down on an infrastructure company and I tinier bit down in a Vitality Biopharma (VBIO), a medical marijuana company that makes prodrugs. These are drugs that take advantage of the ability of cannabinoids to reduce pain and inflammation without the psychoactive effect of THC. They also just recently filed for patents on some of their compounds with respect to fighting drug resistant infectious bacteria. Not holding my breath on this company to perform, also not increasing my less than 0.25% holdings.

3 Likes