Landline - RIP

https://ibb.co/5G2Bj2w

Any more spammers, including Dish/Spectrum, I’m outta there…

I still have mine, via U-verse.

Steve

Yes, still have ours, but some days I wonder why… ]]T should make changes, open up all the ‘features’ that they still have fees on, the bulk cost nothing to activate, are already on every cell phone out there… CallerID and blocking are on top of the list… They might retain some of us if they weren’t so uptight about it…

CallerID and blocking are on top of the list… They might retain some of us if they weren’t so uptight about it…

My phones are 30-40 years old, don’t support caller ID. Besides, given the ability to spoof phone numbers, what good is caller ID? The “do not call list” was effective for about a year. Now seems everyone either offshored their boiler rooms, or ignore it. My default is to ignore all calls: the ringers are all turned off. People can talk to my machine if they want to communicate with me.

Steve

2 Likes

I have old 2 line Nortel sets that do callerID if it was let through, but lately use an at&t portable, rechargeable that also would show it if it wasn’t being blocked. At one time I had access to the local ESS switch and for the fun of it would add it on my home number… So I know it works, but the next system update it was gone, and now they’ve scrapped all of our WeCo switches here locally, went to NT switches in a sweetheart deal, and by then I’d moved on to cell system work, haven’t been in the local CO for many, many years, don’t even know the current switchroom techs… Anyway, it’s all controlled, or was, but a bit being set in the line translations, zero hardware, all software… But they are stubborn, hearing rumors of dividend reductions, not sure if I should dump the shares or ride 'em down…