"Lightyear" trailer

I watched what I believe is the new trailer for Pixar’s “Lightyear.” I have to reiterate what I said about the previous one — this looks like it is going to be a huge hit. These cartoons aren’t really for me, but in this case, I can tell that those who enjoy this sort of thing will probably love it. I can’t see the film missing in any way.

I checked how “Toy Story 4” did back in 2019. Worldwide, over a billion dollars. Domestic, $430 million.

That tells me, at the very least, this should approach $400 million, maybe at least getting to $350 million. Obviously, SARS-CoV-2 variants could alter the potential, but given how “Spider-Man” did, I’m thinking we get to $300/$350 million minimum, with that lower end accounting for surprises.

There is the family factor to consider, I suppose, which is what caused some Pixar features to hit D+ instead of theaters (i.e., parents would avoid variants).

But, given the trailer, just seems like by summer people will be in the mood to buy tickets for the silver screen (again, think “Spider-Man”). And I have to say, that cat character…brilliant move. Talk about merchandising opportunity, spinoff opportunity (D+ series, maybe?)…

1 Like