Likely many on this board w/ a good day

I’m approaching 4% on the day, with the S&P 500 up about 1%

Me too, up a little over 6.3% today, and 10% for the week. What a wild ride.

I have a very good day today. This is only my personal opinion and it doesn’t have to be debated ad nauseum or anything of the ilk. I just think that short quips about one’s portfolio on a daily basis tends to detract from the board. I recognize the market has been incredibly volatile as of late and that many folks are doing very well. I also find it amazing how quiet boards get when things take a downtrend. That seems to be the time when people should be having more discussion, not less.

I’m perfectly fine to ignore these threads and it doesn’t have a huge impact on the desirability of this or any other board. This is just a matter of preference as we all invest time and effort into these boards and am sure we find more in depth research, analysis, summation of portfolios and businesses much more informative.

Again, this isn’t a personal attack, but just one’s opinion on the matter.

Carry on.

A.J.

64 Likes

Noted, A.J.

I have recently taken note that I want to be adding value to the Fool’s board, which was a big part of what prompted me putting the thread linked below together.
http://discussion.fool.com/bear-type-earningssaul-type-port-revi…

One piece of potential value that could be gleaned from this type of post might be to try to gauge just how frothy the market might be getting. This other thread that I had kept adding to back in January might have been a decent indicator of that local market top…with me pointing out the absurdity (and certainly the unsustainability) of averaging up over 1% per day for basically the first 4 weeks of the year (over 19% in 18 days).
http://discussion.fool.com/up-94-through-7-dayssilly-ness-329478…

As I said further up in that thread, I do not plan to provide daily updates. Today’s greater than 4.5% rise is somewhat notable, however. It will be interesting to see what comes next. Gains this week seem to be mostly due to positive earnings reports, from what I can glean (along with SHOP getting a boost from pot, people getting past the initial fear of Amazon cutting into NVDA’s turf by producing some sort of AI chip, etc.).

2 Likes

On hopefully a more useful observation, SQ is the only thing not on the upswing today. Searched Fidelity, Yahoo Financial, Google, Seeking Alpha for news on what might be suppressing it. The only thing I find is the tie to the cooling off of bitcoin. Seems minor to me. Have I missed something? I know that SQ had a good day yesterday, so maybe it’s just cooling off??

1 Like

I know that SQ had a good day yesterday, so maybe it’s just cooling off??

I doubt the article from yesterday linked below had any substantial market moving power, but it laid out a case for Square being a bit ahead of itself in moving up towards $50/share on 2 separate occasions.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4146285-square-bitcoin-craz…

1 Like

I have recently taken note that I want to be adding value to the Fool’s board, which was a big part of what prompted me putting the thread linked below together.

First, congrats on excellent returns thus far. And I am definitely right there with you always trying to make sure I’m posting something relevant and I know your posts on gains weren’t to gloat. I’m more interested in overall traffic and efficiency in reading the boards because there is so much to cover and learn. So, your idea to look to add value is great and what these boards are all about.

Make no nevermind of it whatsoever…

A.J.

6 Likes

Why you think one month is preferable over a good day? Just wondering…