M2 MacBook Pro - First Impression

We will be going on a trip in April. Our normal computers are Desktops - iMacs. After a lot of consideration and mental gymnastics, I decided to get a MacBook Pro. This machine is a huge difference vs my previous MacBook Pro units. The shape appears a bit on the clunky side - but with the new/improved stuff inside (more battery, replacement for butter fly keys, multiple fans, etc.) the added volume with squared off edge view profile apparently was needed. Just for grins last night I left the MBP on - just closed the lid. During the 10 hour people the battery drain was from 98% to 97%.

As expected the item is fast. Setup has been improved - I urge people to do setup via a TimeMachine backup instead of the iCloud backup. I have MSFT Office, 1PW, Quicken and other 3rd party software. Time Machine gave me all my 3rd party software - except activation of MSFT Office. The Quicken people strongly urge downloading a fresh dmg file and data transfer via Quicken backup - I followed those instructions.

The entire setup process took less than 1 hour.

This box has a finger print security button. So far is better than I expected. (Has the capacity for 5 different finger prints.).

7 Likes

Congrats on the new Mac GWP, tech moves along nicely, and Apple seems to be leading of late…

I made a move a while back to slide my 2012 Mac Pro into retirement, just like me, I still use it to hold up the plexiglass shelf at the end of my desk, but took it off the web, frozen in time with a single spinner HD in it, but I did kill the Office, other unneeded apps…

My move to a new Mini Pro M2 went well, but as you note, I did have to fiddle with, activate Office on the new machine… Another issue was my Logitech Circle View doorbell camera, some of its files had glitches, but AppleCare support cleared it up, Logitech support also helped. but it’s coming along, I did have to update, some software, but the important ones to me were good about updating… Last headache wasn’t the Mini, but the APC UPS had aged out, again discussions with APC support went well, so I moved along to a new unit, scooted the vitals to it, but as I must, I checked the old unit, its battery seems OK, so maybe it has a new life, but maybe not here any longer…

Next project is to bring my GD’s 2012 MacBook Pro back to life, dead battery, so I ordered a replacement as well as bumping up it’s memory a bit… It was beeping, seemingly caused by the memorym but maybe just they dying battery. Amazon even had replacement case screws, all the buts needed, if it works out, maybe another travel laptop… She used it all through college, a survivor!

New stuff to fiddle with…

2 Likes

I sometime wonder how I ever had enough time to work 50 or 60 hours a week. You strike me as having the kind of issue.

3 Likes

Retirement has worked well, hasn’t it… We did a lot of travel in the earlier days, lots n lots of photos, and the time to fiddle with them… Now, the new toys, within reasonable limits… the days fly by… I look back at the various upgrades, remodels I’ve done, many while still working, and wonder how I found the time…

I’m seeing great improvements in the speed Photos works on the new M2, as I import old iPhoto Libraries, it finds all the duplicates, lets me merge them, at one tome I had over 5,000 duplicates, triples, quads, worked them all down to none… Now the face recognition it does is also better, faster, still like to see improvements, but…

3 Likes