Making Ventilators and Masks

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, an American oncologist and bioethicist who is senior fellow at the Center for American Progress as well as Vice Provost for Global Initiatives at the University of Pennsylvania and chair of the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy, said on MSNBC on Friday, March 20, that Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk told him it would probably take 8–10 weeks to get ventilator production started at his factories (he’s working on this at Tesla and SpaceX).

I reached out to Musk for clarification on that topic and he replied that, “We have 250k N95 masks. Aiming to start distributing those to hospitals tomorrow night. Should have over 1000 ventilators by next week.”

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/21/elon-musk-should-have-1…

14 Likes

wrong board again.

2 Likes

Should have over 1000 ventilators by next week.

Let’s hope those work consistently. Can’t really do an OTA update with a reboot while you got a patient hanging on them.

<< Let’s hope those work consistently. Can’t really do an OTA update with a reboot while you got a patient hanging on them. >>

Medical grade ventilators are remarkably reliable. I have used the same anesthesia machine/ventilators for decades, literally 1000 times a year, and can’t remember when one didn’t work.

And if they do have a problem, you simply switch over to manual ventilation (squeeze a bag…literally) while it’s getting fixed.

Alan

3 Likes

Medical grade ventilators are remarkably reliable. I have used the same anesthesia machine/ventilators for decades, literally 1000 times a year, and can’t remember when one didn’t work.

Yeah but… those aren’t produced by Elon Musk in a pilot production run :slight_smile:

2 Likes