MDB - I’m out

My guitar student is an independent software developer / programmer.
He was very negative on MDB.
Says he doesn’t feel they have anything special to offer.
Recommended TEAM as a great investment.
Anyway, with today’s news from amazon it made me negative on MDB. I remember rax bring a hot open source stock until it completely cratered
Focusing on the other stocks on here
Guy was positive on sq and twlo

5 Likes

MusiCali,

I surmise from your post that you received feedback from one person who you respect about a product.

I would strongly encourage you to either 1) do more research about the opinions of others and why the stock grows at a pace counter to one person “not liking it” or 2) quiz that person about the business details, the reasons they do not like the outlook, and the numbers and data points they use to drive their own decision making

I’m not suggesting your student is right or wrong, but I am suggesting that blindly listening to the advice of anyone without learning how they make decisions so that you can build and learn your own investing strategy and process is a foolish way to invest your money.

I mean this as constructive feedback, it’s probably off topic.

Just a Fool

32 Likes

I agree with JAFbrblev here MusiCali. A number of programmers who I highly highly respect are very negative on MDB. But their negativity is based on others negativity from a couple years ago. And there are a big number of ‘horror’ stories regarding MDB. They also are not working at an enterprise level, but at a small/medium business level. I suspect that’s the same for your independent programmer friend. For simplicity sake and ease of use, there is not much point for a SMB to not chuck themselves into a cloud vendor like AWS. A small business doesn’t necessarily mind vendor lock-in, they don’t have insane amounts data to handle, operating margins are better going with a cloud vendor rather than trying to do many things on-prem/in-house.

Not saying you’re wrong to jump ship, but basing it on one anecdote wouldn’t do you justice. I imagine it’s just a case of the final straw and the camel’s back, with amazon muscling in.

3 Likes

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3422037-amazon-comes-mongodb-m…

For me I’d rather step to the sidelines and wait for the dust to settle on this one. It’s been a nice ride, but Amazon as a possible competitor is always a scary proposition.

I’d rather be safe. I don’t normally invest this way, reacting to news like this, but there are so many great suggested names on this board to invest in, I can move these funds over to another company like OKTA or AYX and not miss the upside, at the same time limit the downside if this Amazon news really turns out to be a viable threat to MDBs growth going forward.

Chris

5 Likes

Amazon, like all companies, are always adding new features/products/services to their arsenal. Sometimes those work, sometimes those don’t. I’m not going to bail on MDB simply because Amazon is trying something out. Lets see what the next few quarterly reports bring.

Brandon

1 Like

As an IT guy myself, I was very down on the Intel x86 because it is a piece of crap yet it was the market leader for decades.

Denny Schlesinger

4 Likes

MusiCali,

there are many people in IT who think that MongoDB is basically useless and a fad. Just check out the comment sections of YouTube videos on MongoDB and you will find very heated discussions about the topic. Usually, people opposing MongoDB are industry veterans who have been brought up on the SQL paradigm and see no value in NoSQL. The main argument is that when you know what you are doing and can structure a database properly SQL is far more reliable, secure, efficient and so on… However, you will also find many people arguing that MongoDB, while certainly not ready to take over SQL, has its use cases.

The fad-theory obviously isn’t supported by the companies performance so far. What matters for me as an investor is their rapidly improving financials. We haven’t seen any slowdown here. I haven’t formed an opinion yet regarding the AWS situation. The market eventually was not too stressed out about this, as the stock is down “only” 7.5% at the moment. But the market isn’t always right either. I would argue that even for industry insiders it is difficult to predict the impact of this – let alone for shareholders. Still, I’m very interested to hear from people on the board what they think about this development. (Especially Tinker ;-))

Cheers,
Niki

8 Likes

I sold half my shares. I needed funds to purchase an allocation in TEAM. MongoDB has been a stellar performer for me over a rather short period of time. The open source nature is one that I have issues with, though overall I like MDB. We will see if Amazon can impact them any. But we’ll also see how successful MDB is at transitioning people to Atlas going forward. Count me as “on the fence” regarding this.

As an ex-Oracle employee I tend to agree with Niki about industry veterans and SQL. Relational data bases are high performers and rock solid, but you DO need to know what you are doing. There are situations where relational is not optimal of course, and is why we have an MDB.

3 Likes

Just a friendly reminder for those thinking of selling MDB. They present at the Needham conference on the 15th. I would think they have already prepared a compelling case for why AMZN is not a threat. As some here have suggested, MDB knew this day was coming.

Perhaps selling into potential Needham strength might offer a better exit. Who knows…

2 Likes

Thanks for the discussion everybody
Food for thought

Just my take.

First you should cut off one of my hands.

I find that Amazon had the best software bar none. Better than Google, better than Apple, better than Microsoft. The programming team must be excellent.

This makes me very concerned. Additionally, Amazon is not known for losing.

On the other hand. (See told ya)

Large companies often attempt to hit the target they see. Small companies, sometimes, try to hit the target no one has even thought about yet. This is the difference between excellence and genius.

So the question boils down to this:

“Do you feel lucky? Punk!”

Oh wait! This is the right question:

“Is the management team of MongoDB genius?”

Cheers
Qazulight

17 Likes

It just looks to me like Amazon is deworstifying themselves. They are taking on Walmart, Google, Fb, Microsoft, ESTC, TWLO, and now MDB. Then Bezo’s decides to divorce his wife. Can you imagine how many balls this guy has in the air right now? I know everyone is afraid of Amazon but with this much on his plate how can he even be focused? MDB only has to concentrate on MDB.

Andy

8 Likes

I’m out too. It was never one of my top ten to begin with and this just made me more negative also. Despite the reasons not to sell, for me it’s always better to sell when you have a good reason to than to wish you did later so I tend to think it’s OK to be somewhat impulsive when selling. You can always buy back in if you just cannot find a better investment (always doubtful). I also like TEAM.

Peace,
Dana

5 Likes

MusiCali,

Just my perspective…

My cousin is the lead cloud engineer for a Fortune 100 financial institution ($1 Trillion in assets under mgmt). He worked at multiple international tech companies for years before going to the “client side”. His opinion is positive about MDB.

My cousin’s opinion should not persuade you or I to act without additional info any more than your friend’s opinion should. Otherwise, we’re trying to determine who to trust, and it becomes a coin flip.

All the best for you and your portfolio this year.

ElonFeeNix
Long MDB

4 Likes

Well Bezos himself has said he needs to think years into the future. Whatever we are seeing today probably crossed his desk years ago (if at all).

1 Like

I see Amazon’s actions as vindication that MDB is the lead noSQL database platform.

As long as MDB continue to develop and improve their product rapidly, their growth should continue apace.

Long MDB.

3 Likes

They are taking on Walmart, Google, Fb, Microsoft, ESTC, TWLO, and now MDB.

You are completely forgetting SpaceX and the grocery business. Also out.

-IGU-

1 Like

You are completely forgetting SpaceX and the grocery business. Also out.

Bezos for President of the Galaxy! LOL

Denny Schlesinger

Sorry, could not resist.

1 Like

Some good advice in this thread about the value of free advice, so here is some from me.

Amzn built on the previous version of mdb.

With the new mdb license they either share as open source or pay mdb.

Just bc one if these large companies announces a product does not mean it’s game over. In this case, Atlas service is the growth driver. The code that runs is literally free.

I bought the dip.

2 Likes

I love free advice, but even an old line company like Metlife kept unstructured data as part of its repository of 70 different databases within its structures. An SQL database, despite 3 years of effort and expense was not able to pull all this data together into any sort of usable structure.

How long did it take to put it together with Mongo? 2 weeks.

I appreciate the input from DBAs who worked on SQLs, but I am sorry, you do not understand the limitations of SQL and the pain points that are still left. No matter how great SQLs are (and they will remain the predominant form of database, probably forever) they do not handle all aspects of needed use cases optimally, an some they do it simply by horrible piece meal, and other use cases they cannot handle at all.

On the other hand the NoSQL database handles many of these pain points very well, does so at less cost, and at much higher efficiency and efficacy. Further, Mongo continues to improve its database so that it can not only offer the original use cases that NoSQls first started serving because of pain points on the niches that SQL left, but they are also adding features (that will only get better) that can handle more and more of what an NoSQL can do.

It is like the electric car. The gas engine can do everything an electric car can do. I mean everything. And the gas engine is completely refined. But electric cars handle niche uses that solve pain points that gas engines just cannot meet in the end (like CO2, like acceleration, like creating greater room in the cab in the same sized car body, like fewer moving parts, like smoother ride, etc.). As the cost of electric cars come down they will become a greater and greater part of the total market. Will they ever predominate? I don’t know, Gas cars are pretty dang good at what they do and gas is cheap. But we do know electric cars will grow as a port of the total market overtime as price/utility continues to fall.

But for those who think SQL forever…laparoscopic surgery forever as well…at least that is what in 2005 the motto was about DaVinci from laparoscopic surgeons on these very boards.

Tinker

21 Likes