META

Let me start by saying that I hate Facebook. In fact, as an “old” (as my son calls me), I really don’t go in much for any form of social media. I do know that my generation (Gen X) LOVES Facebook and uses it heavily to stay in touch with friends and family. I also have friends outside the US and they love to use it as well, so there is clearly a market for this product. Having said that, my son NEVER uses it. He does use Instagram but prefers TikTok and Discord for his social media consumption. This worries me about the future of META.

Having said that, the stock looks like a no brainer at this price. It currently trades at 16x earnings, will generate between $120-$125 bil in ad rev this year. They generate about $28 bil a year in free cash flow on top of the $40 bil in cash on hand and no debt. On the surface this looks like a cash cow selling for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately we cannot trust what Zuck will do with all that cash. META paid out $6 bil in share based compensation over the first 6 months of 2022, and threw $13 million at “purchases of property and equipment”, which I suspect was just pumping cash into the fever dream of the metaverse, over the same period. We’re looking at almost $40 bil out the door annually on these two expenses. This profligacy is my greatest fear about an investment in META. If I owned the company outright I would slash both of these expenses and milk this cow dry for a decade, but I’m an idiot so thankfully no one is asking me.

I see the potential for META to provide a wonderful return at these prices. Hell if the PE simple rises to 25 over the next 5 years with no change in earnings you would see a double digit return on your investments. Why are people not pounding the table for META right now? Is it the perception that Facebook is doomed? Is it the stink Zuck brings to the company through his ethically questionable business practices? Is it the fear that META under Zuck will simple drain the golden goose in search of the phantasm of a metaverse? Tell me why I shouldn’t put a good chunk of capital in this stinker?

PP

5 Likes

Metaverse fantasy could suck up capital chasing a dream. A relatively high risk,IMHO.

Jk

3 Likes

Meta has now rolled out a chatbot
https://blenderbot.ai/
This is far worse than ELIZA, it’s like talking to Zuckerberg.

2 Likes

Tell me why I shouldn’t put a good chunk of capital in this stinker?

+++
+++

TWO words: Mark Zuckerberg!

sunray
a man also classified as “old”

TWO words: Mark Zuckerberg!

It is Mark Z who build this company and made it this multi-100 billon $$$ company. So what has changed now to think he is a liability?

2 Likes

Mark was wrong about Mobile back in the earlier days, but he did finally admit he was wrong and go all in on mobile.

I think he is wrong about the metaverse too, so I will wait until he gives up on it before investing.

4 Likes

Subsequent to this post I have sold a $100 Put and I got assigned and the stock continued to go down, and when it started turning around, I was stupid, foolish, idiotic to sell a covered call.

META 20JAN23 100 P

I made money, but I gave up $200 move. I have held on to what I added to the long-term positions which are basically adding to the edges, this trading position was 1000 shares. It is not the losing trades, but trades where you should have made so much money and you didn’t hurts very very badly.

1 Like