Monday works on a CRM product

monday.com is looking for a senior full stack developer to help create a new state of the art CRM solution.”

“The team is composed of professionals with entrepreneurial mindset to build a game-changing CRM product that will become one of the biggest solutions in the world.”

It’s all future music but it shows they have ambitions beyond productivity software.

https://monday.com/careers/2B.A1B

They also opened a new office in Poland, Warsaw.

14 Likes

The team is composed of professionals with entrepreneurial mindset to build a game-changing CRM product…opened a new office in Poland, Warsaw

I managed a team of HP contract IT developers out of Warsaw from 2003 - 2007. While these young educated professionals had the desire to achieve great things and had a very competitive attitude, they were lacking in the people, collaboration and highly technical skills. They may have gotten that now, but back then it was a bit of a struggle.

Not sure if I’m showing my age by not being able to share today’s professional IT market in Warsaw, but sharing what I experienced back then.

'38Packard

• the project was ultimately not successful…
1 Like

opened a new office in Poland, Warsaw

I managed a team of HP contract IT developers out of Warsaw from 2003 - 2007. While these young educated professionals had the desire to achieve great things and had a very competitive attitude, they were lacking in the people, collaboration and highly technical skills. They may have gotten that now, but back then it was a bit of a struggle.

Hi Packard, I would imagine that a “new office” means a sales office and has nothing to do with an IT developer center experience from 15 to 19 years ago, although I certainly could be mistaken.

Saul

9 Likes

Hey Saul,

I would imagine that a “new office” means a sales office and has nothing to do with an IT developer center experience from 15 to 19 years ago, although I certainly could be mistaken.

Not sure if the “new office” is a sales office or not, but it is a developer center for sure. I did couch my post with maybe it’s different now, but all it took was to do a quick Google search to check on the facts…

https://monday.com/careers/C3.420

FULL STACK Engineers wanted for our new office in Warsaw, Poland.

'38Packard

10 Likes

Thanks Packard, I was fooled by the “office”. Thanks for the correction. I just cursorily looked on the company website and didn’t find the reference.
Saul

7 Likes

Hi Packard,

I have very different experience working with people from Eastern Europe. I don’t understand the “people” skill when it comes to developers, but I don’t see how that is relevant for a developer to be successful. In fact a good developer can be compared to a good artist - both types can be odd in their own ways and produce marvelous products at the end.

Technical skills might not be the key here, you are looking at full stack development which is not a kernel level type of development and is not a rocket science. I am pretty sure being an Israeli firm they know what they are doing when it comes to development and won’t randomly select Poland as a dev office unless they see potential and good talent pool.

I’ve seen recently other companies open offices in Czech republic, etc. The remote work environment provides great opportunities for future talent reach, for the great companies we follow on this board - the best companies recognize the opportunity and need, considering how hot the DevOps space is.

11 Likes

Hi rdgyy,

Thanks for your response. Of course, my findings, which are based on my personal experience may be dated - I shared that in the OP.

These development centers are nothing new. Companies have been trying to reduce cost and augment staff for the past 25 years in the IT field. I was referring to an HP development center that was contracted out to P&G - my employer - who asked me to lead a team of internal employees and external contractors that were managed globally by HP. HP had offices to manage P&G IT Services in Toronto, Warsaw and Manila - providing “round the clock” applications support and development services.

While I made friends with all of those folks throughout the years, (so nothing personal) I found that the folks in Warsaw were somewhat inflexible in how they wanted to solve a particular problem and would more often then not, be somewhat subversive in agreeing, but not really agreeing, and doing what they wanted to do anyway. Sometimes this would lead to having to re-write or re-design major portions of the global application that we were charged with building. This is where the “people skill” comes in for me. They could definitely code, and solve problems, but sometimes they seemed to have their own agenda even though P&G was responsible for directing the technical aspects of the project according to the contract with HP.

Your assumption that Monday being an Israeli firm “know what their doing” seems interesting to me as P&G knew what they were doing as well way back then, and it didn’t work out so good for them.

Here’s a link to the original announcement back in 2003 → https://www.hp.com/us-en/hp-news/press-release.html?id=17244…

Here’s a link to an article dated 2013 where P&G discloses that they are re-considering the scope of the outsourcing deal → https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/cons-products/…

P&G, whose products include Tide detergent and Duracell batteries, is contemplating the shape and size of the $3-billion contracts that it awarded in 2003 to EDS, which is now owned by HP. People familiar with the US-based company’s plans said the reason for P&G’s rethink is that it wants to have direct control over crucial portions of the technology piece with implications for its competitive positioning.

While this may be “old news” my intent of the OP was that I’ve “been there and done that”, and sometimes the grass is NOT always greener on the other side of the fence. YMMV.

'38Packard

4 Likes

I would like to add an anecdotal experience here: at my current employer, one of our sales team that’s selling our fastest growing product uses Monday to send notifications to Slack. Basically once they start to onboard a customer, they have 5 things they need to complete the onboarding. Those tasks are assigned internally and reminders are sent to slack channel for follow ups. To me this screams a CRM type software expansion: once you onboard a customer, how successful is the engagement? Dashboard to track metrics so you know when to re-engage? Etc - it is only natural to provide those functionalities as next step.

Almost all use cases I have seen for Monday personally are this type of sales or marketing pipelines that have somewhat defined stages. Monday allows the team to plan and track the progress in each stage of the pipeline and provides overview of the team’s progress to management. The thing is, you can create those pipelines as a no-code solution. Pretty sure zero or very little developer hours were used for our sales team to integrate with Slack! And from what I can tell based on the Slack messages, the pipeline builder seems quite flexible as well.

I don’t know what they used to track work before Monday, but I’m willing to bet Excel spreadsheets. You certainly won’t get Slack notifications for free from that. I also think the productivity boost to sales and the prevention of missed customers engagement worth a lot more than paying for Monday licenses.

19 Likes

Interesting takes on the CRM product plans and the Warsaw development office - and it is clear the Warsaw is a development office since they are hiring DevOps & Full Stack engineers for that location ;).

Anecdotally I have good experience with some of these “remote” development locations. Our company develops SW for electronic design and we have development locations WW. In addition to the standard US, India, etc, we have development sites in the UK, France, Egypt, Hungary, Poland, Russia, Taiwan, Pakistan, and Armenia (and others I am sure I am forgetting). There are brilliant people in each of these locations.

We may not use them to lead complete product spec and development – in some cases we do but in most of these sites the teams are focused on specialized areas of a product or set of products. For example, our team in Russia (when I was working with more directly them 7 years ago) was developing specialized algorithms for very complex solutions related to IC manufacturing as part of a larger solution. While they were not directly involved in the overall product specifications and customer facing elements – they were the main development team for the key core of the tool. And this required extreme knowledge of physics as well as expert level of coding and knowledge in chemistry and other related areas. This product has been quite successful.

I have similar opinions of our teams in Egypt, Armenia, and Hungary. And the key US based customer I work with has sites in similar locations (Bulgaria, Czech Republic, South Korea, etc.).

One of the keys for success of any remote location is for management to understand the expertise and experience of the teams and have well defined development activities in mind for the teams.

Since Monday is starting a “small team” for “new infrastructure-related features” and the 4 currently positions open in Warsaw are 1 Infrastructure Team Lead, 1 DevOps, and 2 Full Stack, it looks like this is a small team meant to tap into regional talent. Also, almost all of the other ~100 open positions outside of Tel Aviv are customer facing (sales, support, enablement, etc.). So the bulk of product development will stay there.

16 Likes