Mother Russia

On Monday Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree reviving the Soviet-era “Mother Heroine” award for women with more than 10 children, in an attempt to alleviate a demographic crisis in Russia.

Originally, the award was introduced by Joseph Stain after World War II, when the Soviet population plunged by tens of millions.

The award ceased to exist with the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.

A payment of 1 million rubles ($16,500) will be given to Russian mothers once the 10th child turns one, if all 10 have survived.

According to the latest Rosstat statistics published this summer, Russia’s population shrank by an average of 86,000 people per month between January and May, a record.

In addition Russia is suffering heavy losses among troops in Ukraine, but the true number of casualties has not been disclosed.

In an attempt to relieve the population crisis in Russia, the Kremlin has also focused on promoting traditional values.

Jeff

13 Likes

Why doesn’t Russia encourage immigration? After all, immigrants have been a great source of productivity growth in the U.S.

:wink:

Wendy

4 Likes

On Monday Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree reviving the Soviet-era “Mother Heroine” award for women with more than 10 children, in an attempt to alleviate a demographic crisis in Russia.

=============================================

Another sign of Russia’s failed society by dictatorship. This award will be insignificant in helping population growth. Women know that raising 10 children will cost much more work and money that a lousy 1 million rubles.

Jaak

2 Likes

I wonder if Putin would qualify as I’ve heard lots of people refer to him as a mother. It was followed by a second word but I couldn’t make it out because my hearing aids weren’t in.

AW

3 Likes

traditional values?

I guess every criminal needs a place to hide.

Why doesn’t Russia encourage immigration? After all, immigrants have been a great source of productivity growth in the U.S.

===================================================

Russia does not encourage or have immigration several reasons:

1. Immigrants do not want to go to Russia
  2. Russians are racists
  3. Black/brown people are disliked
  4. Muslims/Jews are disliked
  5. Immigrants are not accepted into society by Russians
  6. Immigrants do want to be forced into the Russian army

Yes, the productivity in the U.S. is based on the productivity of immigrants. U.S. supports immigration because immigrants want to come to here and work for a better life for their families.

Jaak

2 Likes

This is going to create a ton of consumer demand for the next 20+ years (baby furniture, clothing for all ages, tons of food, etc. Plus a lot more schools). Not sure Russia can afford to grow its population back. I doubt the would-be parents can afford all those kids. I’m wondering how many Russia homes and apartments could realistically house 12+ people as well. Ooooh, more consumer demand for housing!

This is going to create a ton of consumer demand for the next 20+ years (baby furniture, clothing for all ages, tons of food, etc. Plus a lot more schools). Not sure Russia can afford to grow its population back. I doubt the would-be parents can afford all those kids. I’m wondering how many Russia homes and apartments could realistically house 12+ people as well. Ooooh, more consumer demand for housing!

===========================================

You must be joking. None of this will happen in Russia. People want to leave Russia.

Jaak

2 Likes

Why doesn’t Russia encourage immigration?

They are doing this.

Oops.
Oh wait, you mean that people would cross the border to go into Russia.
They are trying to move the border across the people.

Mike

9 Likes

<Why doesn’t Russia encourage immigration? After all, immigrants have been a great source of productivity growth in the U.S.

===================================================

Russia does not encourage or have immigration several reasons:>

Did you notice the wink? :wink:
I was being sarcastic.

My own great-grandparents emigrated from Russia about a century ago with my grandparents in their arms as small childrend. When people ask me if I identify as Russian, I answer, “As far as I’m concerned, Russia is a good place to LEAVE!”

I have read thousands of pages of Russian history. It’s always been a horrible place where rulers have always been cruel and rapacious and the average people were exploited and often starving. (That blanket statement literally covers the past 800 years and probably more.) They have never had a good government. They tried in the 1990s but failed.

A person would have to be crazy to immigrate to Russia.

For all the reasons you mentioned and then some.

Wendy

8 Likes

“crazy” a very soft gentle way of saying it.

1 Like

Oh wait, you mean that people would cross the border to go into Russia.
They are trying to move the border across the people.

And in response, lots of people are crossing borders to leave Russia - and to leave parts of other countries that Russia is trying to claim as its own.

1 Like

Wendy’s over simplifying her answer is enlightening when it comes to European history. While technically, three of our grandparents were born in Russia (I believe the fourth was born in the US by Austrian parents), if you placed their birth locations today, they would have come from Ukraine, Poland and Belarus. It is interesting to see how the European borders shifted during the first half of the 20th century, and then again during the last decade of the century before someone decided to cast them (yet again) in stone.

Jeff

2 Likes

“The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia. The enemy of the moment always represented absolute evil, and it followed that any past or future agreement with him was impossible.

The Party said that Oceania had never been in alliance with Eurasia. He, Winston Smith, knew that Oceania had been in alliance with Eurasia as short a time as four years ago. But where did that knowledge exist? Only in his own consciousness, which in any case must soon be annihilated. And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed -if all records told the same tale – then the lie passed into history and became truth. ‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’ ”

That was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word ‘doublethink’ involved the use of doublethink."

All from George Orwell, 1984 - required reading, but especially for anyone born after 1980.

17 Likes

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/anne-frank-diary-banned-te…

The Anne Frank diary “may be returned very soon”. If they pass inspection.

I guess Snopes calling the claim they were banned “false” makes sense?

Winston would feel at home.

It is interesting to see how the European borders shifted during the first half of the 20th century, and then again during the last decade of the century

=============================================

Here is a bit of odd vital records documentation in my immediate family.

My first son was born in Pennsylvania in 1971. His birth certificate shows his mother born in Pennsylvania and his father born in Estonia, USSR.

My second son was born in California in 1973. His birth certificate show his mother born in Pennsylvania and his father born in Estonia. (Not USSR)

I was born in 1943 when Estonia was occupied qnd governed by the Germans (1941- 1944). My family fled Estonia in 1944 escaping to Germany as refugees with millions of other refugees. Thus I never lived in Estonia when it was under USSR government.

Estonia has existed as an independent country since 1918 although in exile from 1944 to 1991. But Estonia was also claimed by USSR as one of its Republics from 1944 to 1991.

Jaak

3 Likes

All from George Orwell, 1984 - required reading, but especially for anyone born after 1980.

Written in 1948 and an incredibly accurate picture of the future. Lefty George Orwell went to Spain to fight the Civil War against the Fascists and soon became disillusioned with the communists.

The Captain

“No one I met at this time – doctors, nurses, practicantes, or fellow-patients-- failed to assure me that a man who is hit through the neck and survives it is the luckiest creature alive. I could not help thinking that it would be even luckier not to be hit at all.”

? George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1213175-no-one-i-met-at-thi…

2 Likes

In a country somewhat famous for birth and population control by abortion on demand I can’t help but suspect that very few will take up Vlad’s propaganda offer?

Anymouse <<<Amazing the things I learned when they send me off to an Intel Instructor’s course in Edmonton long ago. The Electronics part was most interesting … but Demographics surprisingly interesting as well>>>

http://www.theheartofmary.com/2013/02/russian-population-dwi…

Russia’s Decrease in Population via Abortion on Demand
Russia is undergoing an ongoing population decrease. We begin with an outline of
the stats pertaining to this:

1} Abortion is legalized in Leninist Russia, as of 1920. In 1936, Hitler and the Nazis
of Germany begin their rise to military aggression. Stalin, needing a population to
stave off eventual German dominance over Russia, makes abortion illegal.

2} Stalin dies in 1953. Abortion is made legal once again, in 1955.

3} At the end of that decade, in 1959, there were 2.79 million births recorded in
Russia. During that same year there were 4.17 abortions … in Russia alone.

A couple of definitions pulled from the web:

A nation is a community of people formed on the basis of a common language, territory, ethnicity etc. A country may be an independent sovereign state or part of a larger state, a physical territory with a government, or a geographic region associated with sets of previously independent or differently associated people.

There is a difference between the terms nation, state, and country, even though the words are often used interchangeably.

Country and State are synonymous terms that both apply to self-governing political entities. A nation, however, is a group of people who share the same culture but do not have sovereignty.

A country is defined as a region or an area of a land which is controlled by its own government. The term ‘nation’ refers to a community or group of people who share the same history, language, descent and a common government.

Europe is broken down into a patchwork of language groups which does not fit neatly over areas defined by its major (generally Christian in origin) religions. Commonality of language and/or religion are frequently used by politicians to segment their territories.

Many of the European wars are fought between groups with subtle differences of culture, but headed by politicians/sovereigns who coveted something controlled by others. For example, Serbs and Croatians speak the same language (a Slavic dialect), but write it using two different alphabets and largely belong to two different religious sects (Serbs are Eastern Orthodox and use the Cyrillic alphabet, while Croats are Roman Catholic and write using the Roman alphabet). There are many similar examples.

The historical formation of many of our European nation/States is derived from the conflicts of post-Roman feudal principalities and kingdoms centuries ago where the local populations adopted the religion/language of their ruler. Frequently, the populations of adjacent (sometimes warring) States are very similar in cultural background and their “vast” differences are small sparks which have been fanned into flames by their leaders.

A current example is the parallel ethnic similarities between Russians (though, admittedly, Russia is far more diverse than being just Russian) and Ukrainians. The current conflict has gone a long way towards exacerbating the differences between the populations of the two States than any other action I can think of since Ukraine was separated from the Russian Empire at the end of the First World War.

The human associated social behavior of founding counties, I guess, is an extension of the survival trait that larger groups are more secure than smaller family units. That, however does not mean that the constituent parts of that entity have to be of a common background and humans have developed leadership techniques to address that, but the fault lines still exist and can be exploited to fracture the group - especially during times of stress. This has, in the past, affected the US (a country whose politicians are constantly trying to manipulate into being a nation) as well as other countries from time to time.

Jeff

4 Likes

All from George Orwell, 1984 - required reading

I ran across the quote below from an article no longer on the web:
The two greatest visions of a future dystopia were George Orwell’s “1984” and Aldous Huxley’s “Brave New World.” The debate, between those who watched our descent towards corporate totalitarianism, was who was right. Would we be, as Orwell wrote, dominated by a repressive surveillance and security state that used crude and violent forms of control? Or would we be, as Huxley envisioned, entranced by entertainment and spectacle, captivated by technology and seduced by profligate consumption to embrace our own oppression? It turns out Orwell and Huxley were both right. Huxley saw the first stage of our enslavement. Orwell saw the second.

3 Likes