Mr Smith, forever port, new development

The original article was posted here in Jan 2024–

In late May 2024, Mr Smith posted that he is dumping Energy Transfer (ET). Around the same time, a second development was occurring that affects a different idea in the 10-holding port. The circumstances are very different. Which is why I decided to post on the issue as a separate thread.

Atlantica Yield Infrastructure (AY), a renewable energy idea, received a buyout offer.
https://seekingalpha.com/news/4110651-atlantica-sustainable-to-be-bought-by-energy-capital-partners-for-22share?source=content_type%3Areact|section%3Asummary|section_asset%3Aall_news|first_level_url%3Asymbol|button%3ATitle|lock_status%3ANo|line%3A1

Energy Capital Partners offer is for $22/sh, and would take AY private. AY was trading around $21/sh when Mr Smith proposed the idea, and has subsequently had two dividend related events - a payout in March 2024, and a second dividend with record date 05/31/24 (Payout is tomorrow).

The deal isn’t final yet. But, if the deal does clear, anyone who followed Mr Smith’s advice will have more cash in their port. A few dividend payouts and a small capital gain in 2024 is certainly not a bad outcome. But, it does mean challenge the notion that the port would provide “safe and reliable” dividends for life.

As I noted in the OP, I own AY shares. I wasn’t dependent on AY’s dividend as an income stream. For me, AY represents a challenge of redeploying capital. Somewhat ironic, but if one is focused on reliable income, a “ready-made” candidate as replacement could be AY’s largest shareholder - Algonquin Power & Utilities (AQN). This is a Canadian based company who, after disposing their renewable assets, returns to its original role - that of being a regulated utility.

1 Like