My Latest Gann Charts for SPY

Everyone is waiting for the Fed tomorrow.

https://askeysworld.net/MM-State.html

3 Likes

Andy,

Kudos on that Gann chart. I didnā€™t know any practitioners of that arcane art still exited.

Arindam

2 Likes

Andy,

For the sake of discussion, let me play devilā€™s advocate and argue that itā€™s ā€œfundamentalsā€ that will determine US stock prices, for which cap-weighted, tech-heavy SPY isnā€™t the best of proxies, rather than the ā€œtechnicalsā€ that can be inferred from price-volume charts.

Raising interest-rates by another 75 beeps is a political gesture, not a genuine effort to dampen ā€˜inflationā€™. Meanwhile, much of the world is dedollarizing. Thatā€™s what will burst the debt-driven bubble we live in. When the Fed-Treasury cartel canā€™t print, our dear Congress canā€™t spend, and the scam ends.

Yeah, right now the $US dollar --as the least dirty shirt in the laundry basket of fiat currencies-- is rallying. But plot it against a commodities-based currency like the Ruble. Whoops. Biden lost that war, just as he and his handlers are making a mess of everything else.

Arindam

2 Likes

There are plenty I have found. Most from outside the US. Everyone has their own ā€œflavorā€ of Gann so I stick to my version developed over 20+ years.

1 Like

Sure. Some form of ā€œfundamentalsā€ determine stock prices. Although, most fundamental reports have been skewed to influence investors to act in a specific way (by large institutions including the government).

I watch what ā€œisā€ happening using my Gannish charts. If some great fundamental play appears it will show up in the charts. It can do nothing but show up in the charts. If a news theme doesnā€™t end up in the charts (or charts go the other way) then that news theme is noise to the true signal.

A strong/weak USD makes no difference to me (unless I want to trade currencies or gold). The affects of the USD and debt show up in charts of stocks.

I use the SPY and SPX to chart the market because it includes price movements (USD flows) into and out of the 500 largest stocks in the US markets.

I also track ETFs of sectors and indices to see where money is flowing. I rarely trade individual stocks as they can possibly open down 50%. ETFs of indices are limited to opening down less then 10% in the worst of times.

https://askeysworld.net/images/BreadthETFs.png

"Most [Gann chartists are] from outside the US.

Andy,

Thatā€™s a shrewd comment that rings true. Most US chartists --and especially the ones that get featured at places like CNBC-- are clueless. Yeah, they can draw lots of fancy lines. But their charts provide entertainment, not useful info.

Arindam

2 Likes

Andy,

The relationships between ā€˜technicalsā€™ and ā€˜fundamentalsā€™ arenā€™t simple or obvious. But Grahamā€™s insight is useful. ā€œIn the short term, the market is a voting machine. In the long term, a weighing machine.ā€ Also, Sorosā€™ insight. ā€œTechnicals can become a fundamental.ā€

I never messed with Gann charting, nor Elliot Wave. Just way too complicated. But Iā€™m a fan a Candle Pattern Analysis.

Arindam

2 Likes

Gann range squares are easy. The equation of the the current markets is captured in the range for a high to low (or low to high). Measure the next move(s) against this equation (the diagonal line of the range).