Naughty and Nice: UPST

No sense wasting time beating a dead horse.

UPST’s ER was essentially good up until management busted out with some particularly butt ugly Guidance. Here is their CC Transcript:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4509554-upstart-holdings-in…

Investors are still running for the exits as we speak.

For now UPST goes to the bottom spot in the Naughty List. If the company somehow manages to survive through the year and comes out with a pulse after any recession, then it might be worth another look.

All the Best,

The Lists:

A) Nice List

#1 ZI

1. MELI

B) Eye of the Beholder List

#1) NET

C) Naughty List

#1) AMPL

1. UPST

All the Best,

1 Like

If the company somehow manages to survive through the year and comes out with a pulse after any
recession, then it might be worth another look.

It’s perfectly understandable you getting out of UPST – it’s really not suited to your style. That
was a smart move on your part.

They’ve most recently guided for 47% top-line growth in 2022 instead of the previous guide of 67%
growth. Looks like they expect positive cash flow. Loans on the balance sheet they claim not an
issue. When you say manage to survive, do you mean if they manage to meet these new targets, or are
you seeing some scenario where they go under this year?

Thanks,
Ears

Hi Ears:

Cant’ remember the last time anyone called me smart: but, I’ll take it.

We are in the whirlwind. Genghis has put up the Black Tent - so to speak, and I don’t trust the current Admin to fix anything; and, in fact, the more they try the more potential there is for them to completely overshoot things and just foolishly FUBAR the economy and country into something much worse and darker. While this is on the far end of the odds, should it happen, I can definitely see UPST collapsing into the abyss.

On the other hand, lots of folks are clamoring that with UPST’s fresh new valuation now is the time to back-up-the-truck. Different strokes and all that.

Just my humble opinion of course.

All the Best,

1 Like