New energy savings for water heaters

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) today proposed new energy-conservation standards for commercial water heating equipment, including gas storage, instantaneous water heaters, and gas hot water supply boilers. The proposed standards would require commercial water heaters to incorporate condensing technology, which significantly reduces energy consumption by extracting additional heat from the combustion process. Energy efficiency is a key component of … to reduce climate pollution while delivering savings.

“Water heating accounts for a considerable share of energy costs and domestic carbon emissions,” said Kelly Speakes-Backman, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. “Modernizing commercial water heater technology will slash energy costs for schools, hospitals, and small businesses while removing carbon and methane from our atmosphere.”

If finalized, the proposed standards would save businesses and operators $140 million per year in operating costs. Over the next 30 years, the new standards are projected to generate $2.4 billion in savings, with an average life-cycle cost saving of $301 for a commercial building operator of a gas-fired storage water heater. According to the Energy Information Administration, gas water heating accounts for 18 percent of natural gas consumption in commercial buildings, which is primarily driven by inefficient, non-condensing water heating equipment that allows excess heat to escape.

In addition to the projected 30-year cost savings, the new standards will reduce carbon emissions by an amount equivalent to the annual emissions of 4.8 million homes. The new standards will also cut methane emissions by an amount equivalent to the annual emissions of 2.3 million gasoline cars.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/articles/biden-administration-pr…

Jaak

2 Likes

A few years ago, I bought a heat pump style hot water heater. It was a nice model that was on deep discount due to being discontinued. From the month I installed it, my electric bill dropped by at least $20 a month. It has paid for itself many times already. Unfortunately, it is beginning to have some issues, so it will need to be replace MUCH earlier than expected. Since it is discontinued, there is no good way to repair it other than kludges (and I’m willing to live with kludges, but they never last forever).

1 Like

Based on my experience: before buying a heat pump, find out how long it’s warrantied for. Assume it will last that long plus two months.

In our case, we found that plug-in electric space heaters and a window air conditioner were VASTLY cheaper to acquire and operate.

2 Likes

Based on my experience: before buying a heat pump, find out how long it’s warrantied for. Assume it will last that long plus two months.

This isn’t a “heat pump” per se (HVAC unit), it’s a hot water heater that uses a [small] heat pump for most of its water heating, but also has an electric element when needed.

The deal was so incredible that warranty had no bearing at all on the decision. It was essentially a $2000+ unit for $300 shipped (I estimate that shipping cost about that much or even more, because it was shipped over 2000 miles on a truck to my house). And there was zero warranty due to the device being imminently discontinued. My old water heater was basically dead and needed replacing anyway, so this one really (and truly now after a few years) ended up at negative overall cost. And getting more and more negative every month.

My only regret is not buying a spare or two for parts or replacement. The cheapest equivalent replacement today is $2499 at Home Depot (with a 10-year warranty, but without a full stainless tank like mine).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-Platinum-80-Ga…

1 Like