nutritional supplements

The hubster’s barely able to remember what to do with his medications (I put 2 or 3 pills into his hand after BR, LU, and DN, and he swallows them followed by a sip of beverage). The olanzapine, finasteride, and losartan are teeny-weeny, and the sertraline is small/medium.

He’s now becoming confused about his nutritional supplements.

Since the erosion in his esophagus, most of his supplements are in the form of gummies (multi, C, turmeric, magnesium, zinc, calcium). But so far I’m giving him D3, K2, CoQ10, and omega-3s as gelcaps.

This morning I opened the Thursday supplement compartment as usual and handed him the pill minder. He dumped the pills into his hand as usual, but then was about to drop them into his juice(!). I can buy all of these as gummnies. Should I?

Liquid supplements sound messy (what if he bats my hand away or spits it out?!), but I’m willing to give them a try. So many gummies = a lot of sugar! What about using liquid supplements in a smoothie?

Little point in asking our PCP, who doesn’t take any supplements herself (about age 50) and only recommends we take D3 and omega-3s. And I get the impression that the neurologist thinks it’s pitiful that I bother giving him supplements at all at this stage of the game.

The info I found online is either what I’m already doing, impossible since he doesn’t understand language, or irrelevant, e.g.:

https://dailycaring.com/11-ways-to-get-someone-with-dementia…

Should I just give up and give him Boost, Ensure, or Dr Atkins shakes?

1 Like

Sorry, no ideas for people. I know how to get dogs to take medicine. I’m not sure those techniques would work on your husband. For one thing, he has an opposable thumb (and hasn’t forgotten how to use it yet).

At some point it may not be practical anymore. I have no idea when that point is. But if you can’t get it down, then you can’t get it down.

…drop them into his juice…

Actually, if they could be dissolved in a liquid that he’d drink, that might be the best solution (excuse the pun). Or, the classic “crush and mix with apple sauce” or yogurt or oatmeal, or Boost, Ensure, etc.

The catch is that time-release pills should not be cut, crushed, or dissolved, so that’s a problem.

1 Like

And I get the impression that the neurologist thinks it’s pitiful that I bother giving him supplements at all at this stage of the game.

We are big on supplements, but I know why we take what we take. Do you have an expected outcome for the supplements you give your DH?

We recently looked at the supplements we give our dog, who is not only aging, but has inflammation of the lungs that never went away post Covid. The vet, who admittedly sees a highly anxious pooch at his office because, you know, it’s the vet’s, has encouraged us to have that talk and figure out under what conditions we would put him down. We have pulled some of his supplements/meds that deal with more long term maintenance, and focused on anything that reduces inflammation and immune health. Some of the supplements we still give him because it makes DH, who is having a brutal time with Dog’s limited time, a little more comfortable in his skin.

And if it makes you happy to keep on giving the supplements to Hubster, go for it, but I know that if I had the frustrations he (and you) must deal with, I would stop taking any of my meds and supplements. I am big on quality of life over quantity.

Hubster is probably more at risk for choking on these pills than benefitting by them.

Tough decision.

IP

5 Likes

I am going to agree with what others have said here – do what makes you most comfortable. At this stage of the game, what he eats and what supplements he takes is not going to make a material difference. What makes the difference is whether he eats, how well he can swallow, and how much fuss there is. If it were my husband, I would do as you have done. I would stick to the known routines for as long as they can continue to function. And when they stop functioning for whatever reason, then I would let them go unless they are absolutely critical. Supplements aren’t critical. Not even the Ensure. If he’ll eat a Wendy’s shake but won’t drink Ensure, so be it.

ThyPeace, I don’t like the taste of Ensure, but some people do.

2 Likes

And I get the impression that the neurologist thinks it’s pitiful that I bother giving him supplements at all at this stage of the game.

I don’t think it’s pitiful, but I do wonder what you want to accomplish with the supplements.

I know you cook and serve very nutritious food, so overall his nutrition is probably great (way better than my mom’s in the NH, I’m sure). So Boost/ Ensure isn’t probably needed.

I think if it’s stressful to both of you to try to get him to take them, I’d just let it go.

5 Likes

What makes the difference is whether he eats, how well he can swallow, and how much fuss there is.

He eats what I serve so he eats pretty well, mostly healthy food, no fussing, no trouble swallowing. He’s never been a fussy eater. PPA isn’t like ALZ until the very very end.

At this stage of the game, what he eats and what supplements he takes is not going to make a material difference.

Someone (ip?) asked about my goals for his supplements.

Well, he’s already outlived projected lifespan and still seems healthier than me–and most 72-yr-olds. I really want to avoid his becoming physically disabled as well as mentally–for my sake as well as his. He’s a handful already!

Like me, his D level is very low when he doesn’t supplement. That should help his bones. He’d be so confused if he broke a bone–he never has before. Not to mention that caring for my mom for a few months after her broken hip almost killed me, and that was several years ago =8-0

Calcium also for bones.

Omega-3s for cardiovascular. A stroke that left him partially paralyzed would be a misery for us both.

Especially when you consider he cannot understand language or even follow modeled behavior, getting therapy would be very difficult and likely impossible. We have a crawl space and 5-6 steps at every entrance. If he can’t negotiate them, I’m not strong enough to deal–and we’d both be stuck indoors. Not really room for a ramp anywhere either (I couldn’t cross that bridge when I broke my leg in 2020. For the first few months I couldn’t leave the house without strong help. I’m not stronog enough to provide it to someone else.).

Obviously I don’t want his vision to go away/get blurry–that would also make walking difficult/impossible.

I don’t want him to have minor ailments/discomforts either–he might not be able to make clear to me what’s bothering him (if I can’t see the problem).

He alternates probiotics with Colace to relieve constipation.

I think one of the reasons my mother is so weak, frail, and achy is her bad diet (nursing home food, which she doesn’t like–mostly eats carbs and drinks Boost) and only taking supplements rec’d by her dr (multi & calcium is all, I think).

So…while I’m not trying to get the hubster to live longer, I want the life he has to be as pleasant as possible–for both of us.

3 Likes

"Should I just give up and give him Boost, Ensure, or Dr Atkins shakes? "

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ensure-vs-boost

“Ensure and Boost are nutritional supplements designed to help you meet your nutritional needs whenever eating enough solid foods becomes a challenge.”

They did not help me with the achalasia but have helped in recovery.

https://www.thedollarstretcher.com/frugal-living/food/altern…

https://www.livestrong.com/article/313559-alternatives-to-en…

https://www.multiculturalcaregiving.net/ensure-vs-boost/

Are they OK for you?

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/harvard-health-ad-watch-…

I have had Glucerna in the hospital and found it OK - better chilled but OK room temp.

http://www.typemediabetes.org/glucerna-enterex-ensure-one-be…

Since DW and I have diabetes I add these links - but in this case I would talk to your DH’s and your own doctors:

https://diabetestalk.net/diabetes/diabetic-nutritional-suppl…

https://files.nccih.nih.gov/s3fs-public/Diabetes_11-08-2015…

https://www.topconsumerreviews.com/best-diabetes-supplements…

Howie52

2 Likes

Like me, his D level is very low when he doesn’t supplement. That should help his bones. He’d be so confused if he broke a bone–he never has before. Not to mention that caring for my mom for a few months after her broken hip almost killed me, and that was several years ago =8-0

Calcium also for bones.

It would be very hard to choke on a D3. If he gets enough dairy, I am not so sure about the need for calcium. And one thing I see missing is a K2 supplement, which is critical for getting supplemental and dietary calcium from the blood stream, where it can contribute to calcification of the arteries, to the bone. If the heart needs the calcium, it will take it back. The heart takes care of itself.

K2 is about the same size as a D3. K2 is it’s own vitamin. I am not talking about potassium.

BTW, I think you are amazing. Want to make that clear in case it doesn’t always come across when posting suggestions.

IP

4 Likes

He takes K2–sorry I forgot to list it. He takes the same supplements as me except not red yeast rice. And I take more omega-3s and don’t take any gummies.

He took his supplements no problem this morning .

His non-gummy supplements are gelcaps, which go down easily.

The problem isn’t the size or kind of pills, it’s the fact that when he looks at pills he sometimes forgets what to do with them. Kind of like when he goes to the bathroom, he sometimes forgets how to accomplish his goal there, or when he looks at an item of clothing, he’s sometimes not sure where it goes or how to put it on. A memory issue, not an anti-pill issue.

We don’t get enough calcium in our diet. I should switch him to calcium-fortified OJ–I’ve been buying pulpy oj for fiber (to help w/his constipation). And I’ve been alternating oj with other juices…blueberry, prune, cranberry, mango…

And one thing I see missing is a K2 supplement, which is critical for getting supplemental and dietary calcium from the blood stream, where it can contribute to calcification of the arteries, to the bone.

You beat me to it! :wink:

=sheila

I should switch him to calcium-fortified OJ

From what I’ve read, no you shouldn’t. It just grows kidney stones. Either get it in your regular foods, or supplement with Vit D and K2. Unless the thinking on that has evolved. The OJ never(?) has those vitamins, and so the Ca won’t absorb correctly.

1 Like

The problem isn’t the size or kind of pills, it’s the fact that when he looks at pills he sometimes forgets what to do with them.

It’s the forgetting what to do with them that triggered the chocking potential for me. How many times have we swallowed something without intention and choked on it? I would think this has greater potential for someone who doesn’t remember what to do with them. I can be rather over-cautious about things I can control, however, and it is probably nothing other than something to consider going forward.

IP

The OJ never(?) has those vitamins, and so the Ca won’t absorb correctly.

It will, if you’re also taking D and K-2.

=sheila