NVDA in the driverless truck market

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/08/23/nvidia-beefs-up-it…

2 Likes

I heard a snippet somewhere that Japan and others expect to have autonomous super tankers by 2025. They would have a standby crew on board, but I guess they figure it will be a lot safer than sleepy capitans…until their GPS is spoofed. Not a lot of volume there, but compared to the price of the ship, it is probaly an easy financial decision.

The US Navy cannot apparently avoid an oil tanker in open water with a full crew and the most sophisticated equipment in the world. I say lets give the AI a chance, as it seems difficult to do much worse.

Tinker

18 Likes

I agree with that.

I was in the Navy and I did Navigation. I was on the Bridge a lot while at sea.

What has recently happened. Twice ! Is inexcusable.

Frank

2 Likes

What’s been happening - Navy warships colliding with huge cargo/oil transports (the number of collisions is growing 2…3…4). There’s speculation that those sophisticated navigation/detection systems are being hacked. That’s not something the Navy would publicly admit. There’s something happening here…what it is ain’t exactly clear.

5 Likes

here’s speculation that those sophisticated navigation/detection systems are being hacked. That’s not something the Navy would publicly admit. There’s something happening here…what it is ain’t exactly clear.

Well, if I were a suspicious fellow, I’d suspect that perhaps the Navy is leaking those rumors. Perhaps less embarrassing to admit to being hacked (and find the ‘fix’) then to admit that your training is less than stellar and you don’t remember how to drive.

Note - I’m not actually that suspicious - I think the hacking theory is just fringe CT stuff, and the Navy has indeed forgotten how to steer their ships in traffic.

“I’m a lighthouse - your call.”

1 Like

What’s been happening - Navy warships colliding with huge cargo/oil transports (the number of collisions is growing 2…3…4). There’s speculation that those sophisticated navigation/detection systems are being hacked. That’s not something the Navy would publicly admit. There’s something happening here…what it is ain’t exactly clear.

There’s also the other side of the coin. If the other ships are all using the same navi systems (not as unusual as folks would like to think), and that navi system has been hacked, do you doubt that the US navy would be one of the top targets?

Kathleen
Also thinks something has been hacked, seas are not so small they would easily crash into each other - repeatedly.