Omicron to infect 1/2 Europe in next few weeks

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59948920

The World Health Organization has warned that half of Europe will have caught the Omicron Covid variant within the next six to eight weeks.

The US might take a bit longer, but I suspect it’s on the same trajectory.

Jeff
(Who is hoping he’s less likely to be infected on a cruise ship. Who knows? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Who is hoping he’s less likely to be infected on a cruise ship. Who knows? :slight_smile:

How has it been going so far, Jeff? Right after your trip began I read several studies about people getting stuck in unpleasant quarantine after testing positive on cruise ships, so I thought of you. Any cases on your ship so far?

Hoping it’s smooth sailing and no positive tests for you!!!

First weekly report:
https://discussion.fool.com/true-confessions-a-cruise-to-nowhere…

Story made short:
There is significant attrition among the crew and entertainment staff as well as a small (as in counted on one hand) number of passengers as they cycle through a ten day isolation. First big test (IMHO) will be pre-testing before we hit Hawaii later this week (which may find some who tested negative when they boarded).

The cruise line is being very careful and passengers are continuing to keep masked without griping and no cheating (except at the ship’s bars and during meals). While the itinerary is likely top be lousy after we clear French Polynesia, I feel it’s easier to stay healthy here than at my local supermarket back home (where 25%+ of the people wandering around are COVID positive).

Jeff

3 Likes

Jeff, thanks for posting on your fascinating expeeriment, both sociological and epidemiologica.

David fb

I feel it’s easier to stay healthy here than at my local supermarket back home (where 25%+ of the people wandering around are COVID positive).

I’ve seen you make this comparison before (and I agree that the ship is probably safer than random indoor places in NYC right now), but I don’t understand the statement. If 25% of the people at your grocery store are positive, WHY would you go there? Just get the stuff delivered instead.