Only three years too late

‘I’m Calling About Your Auto Warranty’: FCC Says No More, Orders Spam Block

ByKelsey Butler and Todd Shields+Follow
July 21, 2022, 12:05 PM EDT
Updated onJuly 21, 2022, 12:59 PM EDT

The Federal Communications Commission has ordered phone companies to stop carrying traffic related to robocalls about scam auto warranties.

US voice service providers must now “take all necessary steps to avoid carrying this robocall traffic,” or provide a report outlining how they’re mitigating the traffic, the FCC’s Robocall Response Team said in a statement on Thursday.

The calls are coming from Roy Cox, Jr., Aaron Michael Jones and related companies and associates.

20 Likes

The calls are coming from Roy Cox, Jr., Aaron Michael Jones and related companies and associates.

Why/how is Cox still in the business? From 2013:

Robocaller Banned From Telemarketing in Settlement with FTC
www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2013/02/robocall…
The architect of an operation that allegedly distributed illegal robocalls offering credit card interest rate reduction programs, extended automobile warranties, and home security systems, is banned from telemarketing under a settlement with the Federal Trade Commission.

The FTC settlement against Roy M. Cox, Jr., is part of the FTC’s ongoing efforts to stop illegal robocalls. In December 2011, the FTC charged Cox and several related companies with illegally failing to transmit their name or their clients’ names on consumers’ caller ID displays when making their telemarketing calls…

DB2

4 Likes

Clearly a sociopath. Who’da thunk it?

I had fun with these telemarketers by pressing “1” to speak with an agent and asking if the deal comes with a free lap dance or oral sex (regardless of the agent’s gender). This seemed to work, because the frequency of robocalls declined.

I know this sounds bad, and people who know me in real life would never ever expect me to do this, but it was all just some good, clean fun. And the agents exercised their rights to hang up on me.

1 Like

I wish I could remember where I read about it but years ago I saw a proposal to institute a “ring tax” where you paid a penny tax every time you called someone even if they did not answer.

With that could even exempt the first hundred calls a month from a phone number so that most people would not be affected.

That would quickly eliminant the vast majority of spam calls and if telemarketers decided that you were their their target audience and were worth a penny to call then those might be a bit annoying but they are not the people placing billions of phone calls.

This would be relatively easy to implement since phone companies already collet other taxes and the phone companies could be paid a percentage of the taxes they collect to cover their costs.

The sad thing is that I think I heard of this 20+ years ago but it never went anywhere.

3 Likes