OT: Movie review

Currently watching (on a splinter OTA station) one of my favorite movies: “Earth Girls Are Easy”

This movie is so silly that it provides a constant stream of humor, irony and spoof. In this musical comedy, Valerie (Geena Davis) is dealing with her philandering fiancé, Ted (Charles Rocket), when she finds that a trio of aliens (Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey, Damon Wayans) have crashed their spaceship into her swimming pool. It even covers geography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg30KNXlopQ

Jeff

3 Likes

That movie runs on one of the movie channels (MeTV?) that only plays old movies because they are cheap to license. It usually shows up in the rotation every 6-12 months or so.

1 Like

It is simultaneously the dumbest movie ever made and one of the cleverest. It is far from great cinema, in fact, on the surface, it looks like something a bunch of frat kids would throw together, but on another layer (imagined or not) there is a huge level of social satire (including a blatant Bollywood scene in a beauty parlor. It gives slapstick a bad reputation.

Jeff

I have yet to see “Operation Mincemeat” run anywhere around here. I keep checking Fandango, and coming up empty.

On the silly movie front, I enjoy “He!! Comes To Frogtown”. Much better than “Invasion Of The Bee Girls”.

Steve

It is simultaneously the dumbest movie ever made and one of the cleverest.

I remember it as kitschy, silly, and rom-com-ish and with music. Sort of a bad hair teenage hormone movie only with adults instead of pubescents. Geena and Jeff were married at the time and that somehow added to the boneheaded delight. I’ll have to look it up again.

Thanks for the misty, water-colored memory of the way we was.

Pete