OT: Show review "SIX"

A couple of days ago, I decided to enter the on-line lottery for left over tickets for the Broadway show (imported from London’s West End) “Six” for the second time. Last week I became a “standby” tempting me to try again this week. Long story made short, we ended up with first row seat at $35 (including fees) each. If only my stock picks would work as well :slight_smile:

Anyhow, the show is about the history of England’s King Henry IIV’s six wives and their experiences. It concentrates on the two divorces, two beheadings, one death in childbirth and single survivor.

It’s loud. Yes, it’s LOUD. It’s fairly cleaver. Decent rock concert with innovative costumes, but some of the words were hard to understand. The noticeably ethnically diverse actresses were apparently chosen, not for being pretty or having particularly “shapely” bodies, but for shear talent of singing and dancing. Some of the body shapes could be called short and “chunky” or tall and willowy, and unlikely to perform well - but they did. The show highlights how very, very good you have to be (not to mention lucky) in order to end up on the Broadway stage if you do not already have your own fame.

The show was rather short, at under two hours (compared to our recent marathon 3 hour-plus “Mr. Saturday Night” experience) - but that was long enough for it to make its point.

It was well worth the price we paid and was “rather” entertaining and certainly lively, but there are better options to spend the money a full priced ticket would have cost.

From an historical standpoint, according to the historical background described in the Playbill, either Henry IIV had some genetic issues, his wives were particularly unlucky or the medical/societal structure back then was lethal - even (especially?) at the top of the social ladder:

Catherin of Aragon: 1 kid who lived (Mary - became Queen of Scots, as well as England between 1553-1559), 2 died as infants, three stillborn, several miscarriages. Divorced and ended up in a convent.

Anne Boleyn: 1 kid (who became Elizabeth I of England) and at least two miscarriages as well as losing her head.

Jane Seymour: Died of hemorrhage after giving birth to a kid (who would become King Edward VI as a kid before dying at 15)

Anna of Cleves: No kids. Didn’t last long before being divorced because she didn’t look like her profile shot

Katherine Howard: Didn’t last long before losing her head because she fooled around before she got married. Parliament passed a law, at his request, stating that it was treason for a woman to become the king’s wife without “plain declaration before of her unchaste life” which allowed the king cover.

Catherine Parr: Married four times (third on was Henry). Survived Henry. Died during childbirth - kid from husband number four.

Jeff

From an historical standpoint, according to the historical background described in the Playbill, either Henry IIV had some genetic issues, his wives were particularly unlucky or the medical/societal structure back then was lethal - even (especially?) at the top of the social ladder:

A combination, IMO.

My great-grandparents (circa 1870s to 1903?) had 14 children. Six died in infancy and one died as a teenager (no info on why teenager died). So likely other families had similar high death rates among the young. They came to the US about 1900–and relatively few infant deaths. Effective health care makes a difference.

Anyhow, the show is about the history of England’s King Henry IIV…

What does “IIV” mean?

DB2

What does “IIV” mean?

That’s what they stick in your arm? Good catch :slight_smile:

Obviously should read IIX or VIII or 8 or 4+3 or something like that

1 Like

…either Henry IIV had some genetic issues…

More likely Syphilis

What was the mask wearing situation for a Broadway play?

<Henry 8 = VIII

Catherin of Aragon: 1 kid who lived (Mary - became Queen of Scots, as well as England between 1553-1559) >

Catherine’s daughter, Mary, became queen of England. Called “Bloody Mary” due to many executions of Protestants. Mary, Queen of Scots, was a different woman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_I_of_England

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Queen_of_Scots

Wendy

2 Likes

What was the mask wearing situation for a Broadway play?

Musicians wore masks, but singers didn’t. In the audience, probably less than 5% wore masks despite their being “recommended” by the theatre. We were likely the only couple wearing masks amongst the hordes of tourists exposing themselves to being fleeced in the Times Square area.

Jeff

It’s fairly cleaver.

I suppose that helps for beheadings! :innocent:

2 Likes