OT: Tesla Model Y - Worlds best selling car

V13 reportedly is GREAT. But that isn’t good enough. For example, it still can’t read “no right on red” signs. And it still isn’t perfect around school buses or school zones. And it still can’t choose the correct lane for auto-tolls. And it still can’t choose the correct lane while entering a guarded entry point (right lane for cars with entry stickers, left lane for cars to show ID to the guard). And there are hundreds of other small deficiencies that make it “not ready”. I report issues, some big, some small, and some simply improvements needed, to Tesla every day. And last week one of my kids was driving to work on FSD and it simply missed their exit, just couldn’t get over in time!

We shall see. I highly doubt it.

You have v13 ? I think I will get it by February.
My view is that Robocabs will have HW5 (better cameras, better chips) when released.

1 Like

Yes, according to statistics, Tesla is #1!

3 Likes

Wasn’t this debunked already ?

1 Like

No! I wish I did! I check at least once a day for a new software update. Got an update a few days ago, but that sadly didn’t include V13.

I agree. I think it will have more processing power (every generation has), and it will have an additional front bumper camera to cover the current blind spot. This is part of the reason I expect further delay before deployment - HW5 has to be deployed and fully tested before it can be released to the public without a steering wheel. Of course, obviously a robotaxi doesn’t need a steering wheel or pedals, it is simply a waste of space (you lose one useful seat for passengers). Waymo also doesn’t need a steering wheel, it’s just there as a vestige of using an off-the-shelf vehicle as the base of their offering.

To add to your list. If you disable the use of car pool lanes it still uses them in FSD even when only one person in the car. (I’ve reported this several times for years – no fix)

Lots of other things, just not safety related, such as poor lane choice on multi lane roads. It consistently insist on getting in the right lane far ahead of a right turn, thus getting stuck behind a line of car making right turns 1/2 mile before the upcoming right turn…and it is obvious that the right lane is going slow while other lanes are moving along.
Yes, it never “learns” that this is a mistake because this is not how it learns. So they do need more help from map data that marks heavy right turn corners so it knows to avoid them, IMO.

Mike

This is a difficult one. Because in some localities, “clean” cars are permitted to use the carpool lanes even with only 1 person in the vehicle. Will robotaxis be permitted to use the carpool lanes with zero people in the vehicle?

This is a biggie. I’d say that at least 20% of my messages to Tesla are about “choosing a better lane”. Nearly all my disengagements are to force the car into the better lane. And I try to report it every time. We have many intersections with 2 left turning lanes, and the car maddeningly almost always chooses the worst one (worst = the one with a long line of cars, the one with a truck somewhere in the row in front of you, etc, basically worst = the lane which is less likely to allow you to make the light, or less likely to allow for smooth driving when the light turns green). Lane discipline on the highway is much improved in recent releases, and it generally does what I expect it to do. Though missing an exit (as I mentioned earlier) is intolerable and should never ever happen.

This in essence is my biggest problem with FSD. I can’t teach it how to drive FOR ME. All sorts of things. For example, in a 30 mi/hr zone, I want it to drive 28-32 mi/hr, not 42. But on the highweay in a 65 mi/hr, I might want it to drive 72 or 73. Or when it enters my housing development, I want it to slow for each of the speed bumps (it sometimes does, but not consistently). And 100 other things that I’ve recommended to Tesla over the years with FSD.

There is a “auto” setting. Try using it. It works very well for me.

1 Like

I agree with your other comments, but not this one. It should be easy. There is a setting that they allow me to set and they ignore what I have chosen. Period.
I told it to not use the carpool lanes. The lanes are clearly marked, and have been there for decades so should be in the maps. And they are also within a few miles of the Tesla Fremont factory so they have lots of people who should have tested these.
But the car will move into the carpool lane over a mile in advance of a turn when the rule is 500 ft. If it moved into the lane at 1000 ft I wouldn’t complain unless I got a ticket. But it is very consistent at one mile…which means to me that they are just ignoring my setting.

Mike

1 Like

David Anglin got his Cybertruck (beast) in September. It is beautiful on the inside, performs like a dream (nearly 100% more efficient than our 2017 Model X) and looks like a Frigidaire with wheels from the outside.

Full Self Driving has come such a long way​:rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket:

1 Like

I am thinking of getting it.

Did you get it wrapped ? Does it fit in a standard garage ?

1 Like

It fits in the both garages. Dave has not wrapped it. He got it in September, and washed it at a car wash for the first time last week. Then found a youtube video that talked about using windex and a micro fiber rag, then following it up with liquid Bar Keepers friend.

Honestly, I cannot see much difference between the panels that he has worked on after the car wash versus the others.

He is enjoying the heck out of it.

The ride is fabulous. He got the big tires and the gray interior.

I like driving it too. Hardware 4 is really good.

Have seen the wraps too, but he seriously wants a “school bus yellow” wrap, so this is a spousal disagreement.

Almost 200,000 miles on our 2017 Model X. BTW, we did wrap that in a clear glossy vinyl.

There are photos on my instagram account… @anglinjan

I can give you Dave’s referral code if you want it. You would get a $2000 discount, and Dave would get $1000 on his account for Tesla stuff… like clothing and Supercharging.

Cannot recommend it enough​:rocket::rocket::rocket:

2 Likes