OT - Tragedy At the Border

Damn I hate this stuff. Every year people are rescued often severely injured or die. Meanwhile we desperately need workers. If this in inappropriate please just FA it.

Anymouse

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2022/01/20/cp-newsalert-…

CANADA
‘Heartbreaking tragedy:’ Four people found dead in blizzard in Manitoba near border

They say the four died from exposure during a blizzard and freezing temperatures.

By Kelly Geraldine Malone The Canadian Press
Thu., Jan. 20, 2022

WINNIPEG - The bodies of four people, including a baby and a teen, were found in Manitoba near the United States border in what Mounties believe was a failed crossing attempt during a freezing blizzard.

“It is an absolute and heartbreaking tragedy,“ RCMP Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy told a news conference Thursday.

It’s believed they died from exposure, she said.

Officers found three bodies together — a man, a woman and a baby — just 10 metres from the border. The search continued and a teen boy was found a short distance away. They were wearing winter clothing, MacLatchy said, but with the frigid conditions it would not have been enough to save them.

Border crossings into Canada on foot increased in 2016

3 Likes

Surely these folks were not Canadians. Canadians would have known the dangers.

You wonder where they were from. Probably a warmer climate. Trying a back door entry to the US. Through the minimally patrolled border.

1 Like

My little pueblo outside of San Miguel de Allende has seen a huge increase in illegal migration to the USA over the last six weeks – salaries there are sky high even though business is booming here as well, but El Norte is really sucking people in.

BUT

The dangers are rapidly increasing. The top level coyotes (extremely professional and knowledgable and effective and mostly ethical, and often with the same local families as clients for decades) have increasingly been taken over or pushed aside by narcotraficante backed gangsters. They are demanding heinous ransom way beyond the agreed coyote payment to release their “sheep” into liberty rather than abandoning them to death in the desert or to USA Border Patrol.

That is how much illegal wage money is now at stake – it is attracting the drug lords.

David fb
(I have an eight year old goddaughter whose family took her north, and the ransom for her, two siblings, and the mother and father was $25,000 – they sold their home here and borrowed from family to raise the money. They did not even contact me until the deal was done because they knew how ferociously I opposed their plan.)

1 Like

“You wonder where they were from. Probably a warmer climate. Trying a back door entry to the US.”

Likely Americans trying a back door entry to Canada…

2 Likes

“You wonder where they were from. Probably a warmer climate. Trying a back door entry to the US.”

Likely Americans trying a back door entry to Canada…

The flow has been both ways however mention on TV last night that they were split off (got lost) from a larger group from India that were indeed heading for US. Some guy from Florida in a rental van was arrested. Apparently it gets very dark and cold there this time of year. The actual border is barely marked as it is farmland.

I recall when DT wanted to send US troops to the border my first thought was “Poor Ba***ards”. Someone (his generals?) talked to him because the idea disappeared.

Anymouse

https://ccrweb.ca/sites/ccrweb.ca/files/static-files/documen…

Must be those Covid restrictions!! People trying the walk around solution.

But in winter? In a blizzard? I don’t think either country needs these budding “geniouses.”