OT we need to silently reflect for a moment

Of course, it is! No sane person shoots up a school of elementary kids.

Telegraph,

Insanity is a legal term for not knowing right from wrong when committing a crime. So yes sane people shoot up a school.

Murder is about how angry an individual is. It has nothing much usually to do with being mentally ill. Most of us can not fathom being anywhere near that angry. So we do not murder.

2 Likes

Of course, it is! No sane person shoots up a school of elementary kids.

OK. So what would you like to see changed about mental health care? What proposals have you heard that you would support?

–Peter

OK. So what would you like to see changed about mental health care? What proposals have you heard that you would support?

There are always a few kids angry enough to kill in any other nation. Does not happen often for a good reason in those other nations.

There are always a few kids angry enough to kill in any other nation. Does not happen often for a good reason in those other nations.

SShhhh. Quiet.

While I’m not convinced that mental health is all that tied to shootings, it’s still a problem in this country. If someone is saying mental health care is a problem, I’ll take them up on that to make progress on that issue.

–Peter

Peter,

Stigmatizing the mentally ill as killers is not progress.

Just let them know if they are worried about their taxes they are not paying in much. You have to have money and a larger income to pay in more.

If they say you should see my paycheck, let them know to tax the rich instead of themselves. Explain they need to stop being totally fooled.

"The USA is the only country on earth that has a “generation of ‘young folks’” so influenced. Those young folks in European countries, in Canada or Australia or New Zealand, in Asian countries, etc. do not play violent video games or spend much time at all on their “devices” to impact their social skills. Yup, that must be it.

:wink:

Pete "

How soon people forget Beslan and Kazan.

There have been “mass killing” in schools in Norway, Germany, France, England, India, Yemen
New Zealand.

The reasons are wide and varied as individual shooters and groups of terrorists all have their
own “reasons” for killing. Murders are committed by people for various reasons from all over
the globe - and victims are from all over the globe - and killings are done using guns, bombs
(fertilizer being one of the easier components), knives, automobiles, axes, crowbars, bare hands.

Howie52

Once upon a time there was a man named Caine.
He had his reasons.
I have read he used a blunt object.

6 Likes

What we have is a generation of ‘young folks’ totally desensitized to violence and killing by watching and playing 10,000 hours of violent video games

Nonsense. Apaches attacked the ranch on “High Chaparral” two or three times a year. Every episode of “Gunsmoke” started with a man being shot. Ever tally the kill count on an ep of “Combat” or “The Rat Patrol”? War movies and westerns were big box office too.

Steve

6 Likes

"Post: What we have is a generation of ‘young folks’ totally desensitized to violence and killing by watching and playing 10,000 hours of violent video games

Reply: Nonsense. Apaches attacked the ranch on “High Chaparral” two or three times a year. Every episode of “Gunsmoke” started with a man being shot. Ever tally the kill count on an ep of “Combat” or “The Rat Patrol”? War movies and westerns were big box office too.

True there were Indian Wars and attacks…but no mass killing of school children by youngsters…

Every episode of Perry Mason and Murder She Wrote saw someone dying…and the perp caught and punished. Usually one ‘murder’ per episode. Not 19 or 20 children.

Yeah…growing up for the past 100 years before 1990 or so saw kids playing with cap guns - cowboys and Indians, Westerns, Lone Ranger, etc. No one died in kid play…

Now? Lots of loner kids have zero socialization skills. They don’t play together but go home, play games on line…and a lot of those games are violent, dark videos. Shooting aliens is one thing…but half the games are fighting other humans for resources…

and of course, TV/movies today have a million rounds of fully automatic weapons fire (where they never seem to run out of ammo) in every movie. Duh!

You can still watch Rat Patrol episodes on re-runs - same for Murder She Wrote and Perry Mason and Bonanza. People die or are injured every episode but the pain is felt. People watch for the ‘solving the crime’ not for the killing.

I doubt most kids do watch. Not enough action per minute of viewing. . They’re into video games. watching/posting on Tic-Tok videos… imitating what they see. Passing things around. A small percentage are drawn to really violent sites and wind up carrying out their ‘fantasies’.

Heck, kids used to drive to high school with guns on the gun rack of their pickup truck 50 years ago. Go hunting after school and weekends. Millions of them.

It’s different now. There were no mass school murders in the 1960 with even more kids owning or having access to guns. (oh, and fully automatic weapons were available back then) .

t.

“Heck, kids used to drive to high school with guns on the gun rack of their pickup truck 50 years ago. Go hunting after school and weekends. Millions of them.”

We don’t live in those times anymore. Regardless of the reasons, times have changed, and new laws are needed to deal with the current status.

“You can still watch Rat Patrol episodes on re-runs - same for Murder She Wrote and Perry Mason and Bonanza.”

ot, I remember watching Rat Patrol as a youngster, and thinking how awesome it was. Then a
year or so ago I watched a couple episodes on youtube, and was struck by how outlandishly stupid
it was, lol. Jeeps with mounted machine guns blowing up German tanks,lol. Same with Hogan’s Hero’s,
loved that show as a kid. Watched a rerun a few years ago, and it was outlandishly stupid,lol.

…Hogan’s Hero’s…loved that show as a kid. Watched a rerun a few years ago, and it was outlandishly stupid,lol.

I find that to be the case a lot these days when I see old tv series, old movies, even (occasionally) old friends! Reminds me that when I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became an adult, I put away childish things.

Pete

3 Likes

Try watching F Troop. No three year old would give it the time of day now.

“Heck, kids used to drive to high school with guns on the gun rack of their pickup truck 50 years ago. Go hunting after school and weekends. Millions of them.”

We don’t live in those times anymore. Regardless of the reasons, times have changed, and new laws are needed to deal with the current status.

So far, we’ve responded to the changes by taking rights away from the law-abiding… and it hasn’t reversed the changes, so obviously we need to take more rights away from the law-abiding.

4 Likes

Try watching F Troop. No three year old would give it the time of day now.

Actually a lot of the old shows are finding an on air/cable life on the backwater cable channels.

Somebody must be watching.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_Troop

Lots of old shows are on cable channels.

My favorite is Adam-12
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam-12

Actually a lot of the old shows are finding an on air/cable life on the backwater cable channels.

I read the wiki on F Troop. So that is what I was watching at age 3. Could have fooled me.

One there is anything now on cable.

two it is probably playing in nursing homes where people are following it with less understanding than when I was age 3. Not to put too fine a point on it.

Same with Hogan’s Hero’s, loved that show as a kid. Watched a rerun a few years ago, and it was outlandishly stupid,lol.

Charge moved the 80s “Magnum PI” from 10pm to midday, so I started watching “Hogan’s Heroes” on MeTV at 10.

In the early seasons, Schultz was not stupid. When that “see nothing, hear nothing, know nothing” thing got started, Schultz would verbally work out the blowback he would get from Klink, if he told Klink something he didn’t want to hear. So, Schultz decided to play stupid, to avoid the blowback. Carter wasn’t so stupid in the early eps. General Burkhalter was no fool either, in the early seasons. Watch Askin’s eyes when he is addressing/chewing out Klink, and you can see absolute contempt.

Unfortunately, it seems to be routine for characters to deteriorate as a series runs and cliches build up.

Steve

…same for Murder She Wrote and Perry Mason and Bonanza."

Forgot to comment on “Murder…”. That show was fun, for the first few seasons. Then the plots got so simple-minded I could finger the perp before the first commercial break. So then the showrunners started cheating. The “clues” cited in the show for fingering the perp were total BS. I stopped watching at that point.

See my previous comment about how shows deteriorate as they age.

Steve