OT: Which closed boards do you miss?

HURL should have been archived at the least, so many jokes, so many years! A great resource!

1 Like

So as far as you know,the OLD posted jokes on the Humor board are gone now?

The boards have been taken down. Whether all the posts are permanently deleted is anyone’s guess. You could always let TMF know how you feel about it.

I’m glad this board survived.

But I miss:

Political Asylum
Woodworking
Music
Humor & Urban Legends
Movies

And more. Makes me sad.

2 Likes

Not 1 board.
The Fool over the past +20 years has become one big sales pitch for its services. Preying on the weak, unskilled financial people.

Any one with real investing or trading skills has left. Even the FOOL’s various podcasts have a constant revolving set of new hosts. Host with no skills in stocks, investing or trading.

Not 1 of them has made 1, 2, 10 or more $ millions in the past short years which was not complicated to accomplish.

The FOOL is a sales tool for the Motley brothers. Sad to see even they slithered so low.

Toss in the Apple User Grouos for OS, iOS, Watch, etc…
LBYM, others lost forever it seems…

And that we can’t even access them or the folks that once were happily dropping by…

1 Like

Seems to me that there is hardly any difference between the closed boards and most of the surviving boards. I liked many of the ones mentioned here, but I also liked many others that survived - Bonds, Millionaire fools, Options, Retirement investing, LBYM, etc. But most of those surviving boards as as good as dead anyway with little to no activity on them. Face it, MF essentially killed the free boards off. METAR is the one exception, probably because we skew older and eschew change more on average. The younger folk all moved on to other forms of social media for their discussions.

1 Like

I only read the boards and rarely posted but there is nothing much left to read anymore except on the macroeconomics board.

3 Likes

investing related
Gorilla Game (need to learn from past mistakes)

My boards
Where Angels Fear to Tread (all my old posts)
Nostalgia For Infinity (my Doctor Doom phase…was a year early)

For fun
Gimme my stars (Norm, Swimdad, WRG, joelsenior, and various epic threads)
Land of Off-Topic Posts (RIP to the Chrissie Thread and Elian debates)

Don’t miss
British Invasion (bunch of loosers…like their World Cup team)

Dreamer

2 Likes

Wow. Original thread was in August, and I missed it. Wouldn’t have been able to answer until recently anyway, when I went to make one of the LC recipes I created and posted on Low Carb Way of Eating, just to find the link no longer worked. So many recipes gone. I had thought about printing out what I posted but chided myself on not being tech forward, depending on the bookmarked link and not keeping a paper trail. Ah well, could be worse. When I started creating low carb recipes 20 years ago, it was out of necessity as there were no fabulous food bloggers or convenience foods as there are today. Still, when I discovered a fabulous chip at Costco, made from chicken breast and egg whites, tasting even better than a potato chip, I wanted to share and had no place to do it.

I still miss the format itself and still find this one entirely unsatisfactory. I tend to cruise in for 5-10 minutes, hit a few posts, and ignore the rest as requiring too much effort and lack of continuity. The transformation of the boards will probably speed up the transition of our investments to broad index funds and away from individual stocks. I never could get DH or the kids interested, and this was the place to discuss investments with a community that would be happy to correct you if they thought you wrong. Now for the most part, investing is just a job, and one I can retire from by putting it on auto pilot. That day is approaching.

Oh well, life changes.

IP

6 Likes

I wonder how many of our fellow fools would have paid an annual subscription to have read-only access to those old boards. There was a lot of good useful content there.

3 Likes