PINS

I know some here still follow PINS. PINS is up almost 40% pre-market on a good earnings report, global user growth of 39% and forecasted 30% revenue growth next quarter.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-hold-beijing-accountable…

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3598326-pinterest-eps-beats-0_…

I believe Bear had an excellent write-up on the potential due to international expansion and this seems to be coming to fruition. The SHOP tie-in could be helping.

I have a smaller position and had added but wish I had bought even more. I may add even after the jump.

Dave

20 Likes

Last quarter was not good… but I guess their comment about July being 50% up y/y must have added to confidence on top of MAU growth.

Need to read trascript to get better idea but market reaction is very positive… I have been looking for PINS to get some respect on the market… a small position but likely to add…

Last quarter was not good… but I guess their comment about July being 50% up y/y must have added to confidence on top of MAU growth.

Need to read trascript to get better idea but market reaction is very positive… I have been looking for PINS to get some respect on the market… a small position but likely to add…

Yes, it wasn’t great but I thought it was a good quarter given the conditions and relative to expectations. All the forward looking indicators are looking very positive.

Dave

Best to stay focused on the fundamentals. The price is up >30% in one day but if you bought 1 year ago you are still down a little. At the risk of oversimplifying it: Pinterest is a VERY high profile company forecasting 30% growth. While nice enough, it doesn’t make the cut for my portfolio. If you like the SHOP(ing) angle just buy SHOP.

8 Likes

Best to stay focused on the fundamentals. The price is up >30% in one day but if you bought 1 year ago you are still down a little. At the risk of oversimplifying it: Pinterest is a VERY high profile company forecasting 30% growth. While nice enough, it doesn’t make the cut for my portfolio. If you like the SHOP(ing) angle just buy SHOP.

The fundamentals tell me that PINS is the much better buy here. The connection with SHOP is just one angle. Both had pre-pandemic annual revenue growth of about 50% last year. PINS is trading at a forward P/S of about 14 and SHOP is trading at a forward P/S of probably almost 50. Given all the uncertainty this year, these numbers may change of course. PINS had global user growth of 39% and monetizing of international users is in its infancy. That sets it up for great growth going forward. Even after the jump today, PINS is only 1/6 the enterprise value of SHOP. It has more room to grow and much less growth priced in. The runway for growth is opening up. Facebook’s copycat of Pinterest just closed since it couldn’t compete.

Here’s a bullish take before the latest report and some of the points are already much stronger:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4356117-pinterest-is-stock-…

I just don’t think it’s clear which one will outperform at this point.

Dave

13 Likes

I just realized I accidentally included a political WSJ link in my post. I definitely did not intend to do so and apologize profusely. I’m not sure how that happened. Anyway, the post seems appreciated otherwise and I will leave it up. I don’t know how to edit a post after the fact.

I hope I didn’t offend anybody.

Dave (feeling foolish)

Revenue growth was 4% YOY and their forecasting mid-30% for Q3. As already mentioned despite the 30+% pop, the stock is essentially flat over the prior year. With other stocks discussed on here being chastised for growth in the 40% range, why should anyone be considering PINS as a strong investment at this point? We just had a long thread discussing why MDB has fallen out of favor yet they are still growing faster and have better overall margins.

2 Likes