Portfolio update 3/31/20

Portfolio Update 3/31/20

It’s been a month since I posted my February portfolio update found here;

I have found doing these updates is helping me keep better records of my investing thought processes over time. Much like keeping a journal in life when you re-read in the future it helps you remember what your thoughts were at the time of writing. Hopefully others find this helpful as well.

Current Portfolio as of 3/31/20.  

Change since 2/28/20  -13.9%		YTD     +11.6%. 

S&P 500 -19.60%	Nasdaq -13.36%		Dow -23.20%

Stock		      Current	 	      % of Port	      	% Change 		        Market	
		    % of Port		        on 2/28	   	in port since 2/28	   	Cap

AYX		       36.3			31.0			+5.3			
CRWD		       22.7			16.4	              	+7.3
LVGO		       11.3		           0                   +11.3
ESTC		        9.8			14.4		        -4.6	
DDOG		        7.8			 3.2			+4.6
ZM		       	  0			16.4		       -16.4		        	
ZS		          0			 3.7			-3.7	
TCNNF	    	          0			 1.7			-1.7
CASH                    12.1			13.1		       -13.1  

New positions since last portfolio update: LVGO

Exited positions since last update: TCNNF, ZS, ZM

Trades between 3/1-3/31

I am short on time so I am skipping this for March. I did a lot of trading in and out of positions as the CoVid 19 had the market on a wild ride. I took advantage of selling some stock that were deemed as benefiting from the outbreak to buy stock that got punished on the general decline.

Thoughts on trades and companies for the month.

Craziest month of my twenty year investing career. I personally had friends that were day trading this month that had never bought or sold a stock previously. I am a blueberry farmer in Florida and right now is my peak harvest season. So I am working 100+ hours a week and am limited on time so I am keeping my thought short.

Thankfully I had gone to a 13% cash position when the market got creamed. It gave me an opportunity to buy some of my favorite companies on the cheap.

Still number one AYX 36.3%. Favorite stock. Rock solid financials. No real competition. Special. I view this holding as safer than cash.

Number two holding CRWD 22.7%. Killed its earnings report. Price appreciation was awesome this month on weak market. Helped keep my portfolio up.

Number three holding LVGO 11.3%. Bert did a good write up on the company. I decided to buy it when it when down versus other stock I held. Turned out to be a good move as it has been on rise of late versus overall market.

Number four holding ESTC 9.8%. Lightened up recently, to buy more DDOG. DDOG is performing slightly better. I think having them both gives me better balance.

Number six holding DDOG 7.8%. I like the numbers. I like the performance. Seems too low now. Glad the market gave me opportunity to get in at what I feel is good price.

I did a write up on TCCNF last month and sold out few weeks later. What changed? A friend of mine died unexpectedly at the age of 40. He use to smoke THC wax. They said it was a heart attack. I could not escape the feeling of supporting something that maybe is not good for people. I am not looking for a debate on this topic, I am just explaining why I changed my mind on investing in a cannabis company.

I also moved on from ZS and ZM. They both were accelerating during the downturn. I used the monies to buy other companies that I felt offered a better opportunity to make money. I really like both companies, but in my quest to be a ruthless allocator of capital, they had to go.

Lots of debate on ZM and it may crush the next few quarters. However put me more in Bears camp, valuation seems lofty. They have to excute flawlessly to appreciate in price. Probablities not in their favor. Rather put my money on AYX.

Went all in cash during the downturn, but recently went back to some cash. Blueberry market crashing due to CoVid 19. I might need that cash to support my businesses. This CoVid 19 issue going to hurt the economy…I am living proof already. Six figure swings in revenue.

As always any suggestions or questions feel free to email me.

37 Likes

Own most of the same stocks…bought a lot of DDOG, right after the ipo. Just didn’t keep ZM, after the news.

VERY SORRY your Blueberry Market is crashing. Guess you mean, just in Florida? Bet we buy your blueberries at Publix when down there. Blueberries are our favorite fruit and we buy wherever we are.

I like best to come down off season…but probably not this year. There last month.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU,

STJ

2 Likes