Question response

Are these companies still great to invest in as starter portfolio or they are already gone up where I should be looking at others for my daughter’s portfolio (long term).

Someone asked me this question off board. I just can’t answer this kind of question. Each person has to make their own decisions about what they buy. I don’t know your financial condition, how old you are, how much you make, how much you have saved, what your cost of living is, how old your daughter is, what your level of investing experience is, etc. I’m not a financial advisor. I have no training in being a financial advisor. I invest in what I’m comfortable with, but you may not be at all comfortable with the same stocks, or with the same level of risk, etc etc etc.

Saul

28 Likes

Saul.

I had the same question when I started.

My solution was, NO REAL MONEY! I grabbed your port and threw it into the Motley Fool Caps game and watched.

After a year I had read the annual reports listened to the conference calls and was ready to invest.

At that time my wife and I sat down and invested in two or three of your positions that we simply could not not invest in. Over the course of the second year we went from 100 percent cash to 100 percent invested.

At this time, because it is what I think I can sustain, we are 75 percent invested and 25 percent cash. (This is a matter of my own head games)

I have been burned before. The awesome thing about this board is not the stocks, it is the training, the training to evaluate, and as importantly, to move. Training is not like education. Training takes practice and disipline.

No one is going to be good when they start so leaving room for error is critical.

Cheers
Qazulight

(The account that I first started with is up over 100 percent in less than 2 years and this acount has only been fully invested for a few months. Additionally I have held stocks too long and chossen a loser or two.)

13 Likes

Are these companies still great to invest in as starter portfolio or they are already gone up where I should be looking at others for my daughter’s portfolio (long term).

I’d like to share the answer I would give if I were asked that question:

When experienced investors are kind enough to share their portfolios with us on this board implicit in their decisions is the idea “of all the places I could put my money right now these are the best choices”
So clearly they don’t believe that it’s too late to invest in these stocks.

7 Likes

Qazulight - using TMF Caps is a great idea! I often look at Caps to see how others rate stocks, but I’ve never actually used it.

~TracyK