Rogue poster is back

On PA, with another post.

I’m going to ask point blank.

Are you going to ban this poster for repeated violations of your terms of service?

If you do not, your TOS is a meaningless document and there is no reason for anyone to follow it.

—Peter

14 Likes

Does the terms of service say anything about posting on closed boards?

Does the terms of service say anything about posting on closed boards?

From the T&C: Unauthorized access of our sites is a breach of these Terms and Conditions and a violation of the law.

IANAL, but finding a workaround to post on boards specifically closed by TMF seems unauthorized to me.

5 Likes

IANAL, but finding a workaround to post on boards specifically closed by TMF seems unauthorized to me.

Perhaps TMF is taking a queue from the Supremes: if the legislative branch (the T&C) has not specifically banned or authorized something, we cannot leave it to the regulatory agencies (the regular TMF monitors).

Pete

3 Likes

Are you going to ban this poster for repeated violations of your terms of service?

So what…

TMF banned the social boards yet made it possible for tmfaruba’s social Board
to stay put by altering the Board’s name.

“Rules For Thee but Not for Me“

10 Likes

Hi Peter,

We’ve just been deleting the posts as they occur (sometimes it takes a day or two to get to them because that board isn’t heavily monitored anymore) and, once deleted, it’s as if that particular member is yelling into the wind and it goes nowhere. But we have issued an official warning to the user now so if it happens again, we can take action.

Honestly, since that board will not be migrated, it hasn’t been a priority as it won’t be possible to post there in the future, and, as I said, we just delete posts to closed boards.

Jen

2 Likes

Hi Lurkermom,

Actually, the original purpose of Aruba’s Isle of Revenge, all the way back to the AOL days, was all about complaining about consumer issues that fits into personal finance. It definitely became social over the years but when the boards were being analyzed, and they realized there wasn’t really one for that topic, the name of the board was altered to reflect its true purpose, it was moved to the appropriate category, and it remained open.

There were lots of boards started by TMFs/CMFs that were closed and won’t be reopened.

Jen

5 Likes

It definitely became social over the years

————————————

Yes, and that’s the point.

I’ve been a Fool for many years and always known the Isle to be a social board, even posting there myself.
The intent of the Board was lost almost from its beginning. Many consumer issues turned into fun and frolic and social banter.

Now that the social boards are being banned you said,

“but when the boards were being analyzed, and they realized there wasn’t really one for that topic, the name of the board was altered to reflect its true purpose,”

Yep, how very convenient. A good excuse as any.

13 Likes

I didn’t know there was a “no post” rule there.

But I was warned via email not to post - and since then I have stopped.

BUT - thanks for reporting it.

And I am so glad all those boards are closed. Improved the Fool indeed.

Glad there’s tolerant folks reporting away - it helped shut down those boards.

Hat tip to all.

4 Likes

Ya, must have been embarrassing losing all those debates. ;^)

I’ll allow current events to reply - :slight_smile: Either way, glad boards are gone.

Either way, glad boards are gone. - eweppl

??? If you didn’t like those boards, then the simple thing would be to not visit them.

To express gladness that something others did enjoy is no longer available to them strikes me as mean-spirited.

I never went to PA but know others, many others, did. I could care less that is was there or not, but take no joy from it being gone.

19 Likes

“To express gladness that something others did enjoy is no longer available to them strikes me as mean-spirited.”

The internet seems to have brought out the worst in some people at some times - people
increasingly seem to think that their own thoughts are the only ones which should be thought.
A self-centered world view might be the result of fewer actual contacts and discussions
with people - face to face. If you do not have to interact with people, other folks do not
seem as important - they lose their humanity. This tends to make the person reading and
posting lose a portion of their own humanity.

They become separated from the other individuals.
They no longer view individuals as part of the community.
Therefore the community becomes restricted to their own views and interests.
Only those who hold those views and interests are valued.

Howie52

Likely can go both ways - folks who are not valued by others generally take a dim view
of the those making the choices.

7 Likes

The Star Wars cosplayer haz the Mother of All Sads because he can’t troll the PA libs.

So to eliminate the particular boards and posters that stuck in your craw—you needed the powers that be to terminate the thriving, educational, supportive, valuable community of non-investment boards? You lack sufficient self-control simply to avoid those boards or place those posters on ignore?

=sheila

13 Likes

You lack sufficient self-control simply to avoid those boards or place those posters on ignore?

“Ignore” is a very imprecise tool. It may remove the poster from my view, but it still allows them to disrupt conversations that I am interested in, participate in, and want to learn from.

There were some posters who were simply bad actors. This is not in dispute. The Fool chose to close the boards where the fights were occurring, and to warn all boards that this behavior (political, mostly) would not be tolerated. My preferred method would have been to toss the miscreants, but then I don’t have ownership here so I wasn’t consulted.

9 Likes

“Ignore” is a very imprecise tool. It may remove the poster from my view, but it still allows them to disrupt conversations that I am interested in, participate in, and want to learn from.

Very true.

There were some posters who were simply bad actors. This is not in dispute. The Fool chose to close the boards where the fights were occurring, and to warn all boards that this behavior (political, mostly) would not be tolerated.

But The Fool didn’t stop there. It closed boards wholesale, unless there was a direct investment focus or they could be convinced there was a link (rejecting some obvious strong links, eg, the Pandemic board).

=sheila

4 Likes

I didn’t know there was a “no post” rule there.

Sorry. I don’t buy that.

To post on a closed board, you would need to bypass the usual posting routine and use a URL of your own creation. That you can’t just compose a post as normal should be an indicator that posting is not allowed.

Also, even the briefest attempts to read a board should show that there have been no posts in quite a while. For a board such as PA where you posted, that simply never happened unless the whole site was down and no one could post.

And then there’s that banner at the top of every page on the closed board - including the page used to compose a post - saying the board is closed. And the word “Closed” next to the board name.

I’m going to stop just short of accusing you of lying. Because what you said above is that you were not aware of a “no post” rule. I’m not sure there was a “no post” rule promulgated anywhere.

But you did have to work awfully hard to post to a closed board. That alone is a sign that something is up.

When a home owner locks their front and back doors, but leaves a window open, that is not an invitation to just climb on in to the house through that window. The same thing applies when a web site cuts off access to their usual posting interface. That you know how to figuratively “climb in the window” is irrelevant. It is a sign to keep out.

You didn’t. Shame on you.

–Peter

15 Likes

The Pandemic board and likely other Health related boards were a service to the world, facts presented t many levels, or shown to be in error of they were… Should have been retained…

Healthcare comes in many forms, and can be a serious financial concern. A health Insurance board would have been good.

I listen to Doctor Radio on SiriusXM, NYU, many serious experts in many medical fields, but one specialty they’ve been dealing with is helping folks wend their way through the maze of finding good medical insurance, many success stories…

We live in crazy times, a shame to see sanity be disked away as though it was nothing by a faceless landlord…

4 Likes

The Pandemic board and likely other Health related boards were a service to the world, facts presented t many levels, or shown to be in error of they were… Should have been retained…

If TMFAruba can retain his board his board by adding consumer issues, I would suggest requesting a board titled something like “Health Related Financial Issues”. Or possibly ask the “Health Insurance” board be renamed to cover the broader topic.

PSU

3 Likes