Russia takes aim at non-NATO Hawaii

{{ A prominent Russian academic has suggested his county should aim to “capture” the one U.S. state that is not covered by NATO’s Article 5 collective security guarantee, in an apparent reference to Hawaii. }}

intercst

1 Like

Unlike the war in Gaza we do not see any Russians as innocent. Fire at will.

1 Like

Do they even have any amphibious forces stationed in Vladivostok?

DB2

Hawaii?! Really?

This is saber rattling of the dumbest sort.

Or, the “academic” is unaware of WWII and Pearl Harbor.

Sheesh…

1 Like

Russia. Russia also has only one aircraft carrier, Admiral Kuznetsov, which was commissioned way back in 1991. The ship travels at a speed of 29 knots, has a range of 8,500 nautical miles, and tonnage of 58,000.Nov 21, 2023

Russia. Russia also has only one aircraft carrier, Admiral Kuznetsov, which was commissioned way back in 1991. The ship travels at a speed of 29 knots, has a range of 8,500 nautical miles, and tonnage of 58,000.Nov 21, 2023

My ex-submariner coworkers at the pump seal company said there are two types of ships: subs, and targets.

Steve

2 Likes

OMG Steve don’t you know every Russian is innocent.

Besides Americans never kill innocent people.

Meanwhile, in the South China Sea a show of force…

China was not mentioned by name in the statement, but the four countries reaffirmed their stance that a 2016 international arbitration ruling, which invalidated China’s expansive claims on historical grounds, was final and legally binding.

China has refused to participate in the arbitration, rejected the ruling and continues to defy it. The Philippines brought its disputes with China to international arbitration in 2013 after a tense sea standoff…

Aside from China and the Philippines, the long-simmering disputes in the South China Sea, a key global trade route, also involve Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. But skirmishes between Beijing and Manila have particularly flared since last year. Washington lays no claims to the strategic seaway but has repeatedly warned that it’s obligated to defend its longtime treaty ally the Philippines…

DB2

1 Like

“The Russians are coming!” That’s what Kamehameha I (aka Kamehameha the Great), the conqueror and first ruler of the Kingdom of Hawaii (1795-1819) heard over 200 years ago.

I kid you not.

Today, Pā’ula’ula State Historical Park (Russian Fort Elizabeth) is a National Historic Landmark and is administered as the Pā’ula’ula State Historical Park just southeast of present-day Waimea on the island of Kauaʻi in Hawaiʻi. It is located at the site of the former Fort Elizavety (Russian: Форт Елизаветы), the last remaining Russian fort on the Hawaiian islands, built in the early 19th century by the Russian-American Company as the result of an alliance with High Chief Kaumualiʻi.

The best account of this Russian venture is at a National Park Service website that TMF will not allow (need to search National Park Service Russian Fort Elizabeth).

The Russian Fort Elizabeth was built at the prompting of the Russian American Company (RAC) in 1817. The original purpose of the fort was to establish a foothold for Russia in Hawaii by creating a fueling station in the Pacific Ocean and as a stable trading location for the shipping company. The fort is a reminder of the short Russian venture into Hawaii between 1815 and 1817. Following its dissolution, the fort housed Hawaiian soldiers for more than forty years. The native Hawaiian name for the fort is Pāʻulaʻula.

The governor of the Russian Trading Company, located in Sitka, Alaska, wanted to procure food from Hawaii for the Alaska settlements and to resupply RAC ships on longer voyages across the Pacific Ocean. In 1815, the RAC ship Bering wrecked near Waimea, and Kaumualiʻi, ali’i 'ai moku (paramount chief) of Kauai, seized the ship’s cargo. The following year Dr. Georg Anton Schäffer of Germany, a physician and agent of the RAC, was sent by the company to Hawaii to retrieve the remaining contents of the ship and seek compensation for any lost cargo.

Dr. Schäffer’s orders were to first befriend King Kamehameha I, who had united all of the Hawaiian Islands into the Kingdom of Hawai’i, and then to gain his support in recovering the seized cargo from Kamehameha’s rival Kaumualiʻi. If successful, Schäffer was directed to ask for compensation in sandalwood for the remaining value of the Bering’s cargo. After that, he was to discuss a sandalwood monopoly trade agreement between the RAC and the Kingdom of Hawai’i. Either way, with or without Kamehameha’s help, Schäffer was ordered to retrieve whatever remained of the Bering’s cargo and to recover the cost from Kaumualiʻi for whatever had been lost.

Schäffer attempted to carry out his orders and even treated Kamehameha and one of his wives for medical ailments, which gained Kamehameha’s respect. Kamehameha chose to progress slowly in trade negotiations, however, and also declined to help the doctor in his dealings with Kaumualiʻi. Schäffer became frustrated with the speed of the negotiations, and decided to travel to the island of Kaua’i on his own.

Schäffer’s visit to Kaua’i quickly deviated from his original orders. He worked to befriend Kaumuali’i and instead of merely obtaining compensation from him for the Bering and establishing trade relations, Schäffer went further. He negotiated for return of the Bering’s cargo and compensation plus an agreement for the RAC that involved becoming the protectorate of all of the islands Kaumuali’i claimed as his—Kaua’i, Ni’ihau, Oahu, and Maui—in exchange for helping Kaumuali’i acquire additional islands and territories. The agreement also included a sandalwood monopoly for the RAC and a commitment by the Russians to assist Kaumuali’i with any conflicts he had with Kamehameha. While Kaumualiʻi had pledged allegiance to Kamehameha in 1810 and seemingly accepted his rule over all of the islands, he never really intended to give up Kaua’i and believed he could reclaim and expand his own kingdom with Russia’s help. Dr. Schäffer agreed to this treaty and quickly sent word to both the RAC office and the Russian government in St. Petersburg about his diplomatic success.

Utilizing a design by Dr. Schäffer, Hawaiian workers under the direction of Kaumualiʻi constructed a fortified complex on the east bank of the Waimea River that, for a time, flew the Russian flag. Known as Fort Elizabeth, it was a blend of European military architecture and Hawaiian building materials. The fort was constructed with star-like projections common in early 19th-century European forts, but utilized Hawaiian materials including rocks from a former heiau (place of worship) in the construction of the walls. The fort’s shape was an uneven octagon 300 feet by 400 feet, with 20-foot high walls that varied in width from 25 to 40 feet.

While the fort was still under construction, Dr. Schäffer received news that the Russian government rejected the treaty he had negotiated with Kaumuali’i. The Russians did not want to defend the islands controlled by Kaumuali’i from both Kamehameha and the American sailors and missionaries who had established a favorable relationship with the King and his government. Instead, the Russian government informed Dr. Schäffer that he had overstepped his responsibilities. This news spread quickly, forcing Schäffer to flee the island before being attacked. He made his way to Russia where he was removed from his job and sent back to Germany.

Kaumuali’i’s troops maintained use of the fort long after Schäffer’s departure. One notable event for the fort after 1817 was the 21-gun salute fired from it in 1820 when Kaumaull’i’s son returned home on the American Brig Thaddeus from school in the U.S. The fort was eventually acquired by the Hawaiian government for its military, but was dismantled in 1864.

The Russian Fort is a reminder of the brief Russian presence in Hawai’i. The outer stacked stone walls of the fort remain and on the inside are the foundations of the magazine and other buildings. Visitors can enjoy the seascape views, a walking tour, and use images at the site to imagine what the complex looked like in the 19th century.

================================

Fast forward to today, here’s my reply to this OP as well as my belated response to the following OP by intercst on 3/30/2024:

NATO treaty doesn’t include attacks on Hawaii - islanders are on their own

Come on. Islanders are not on their own and not alone.

ALOHA AND WELCOME TO NAVY REGION HAWAII

Commander, Navy Region Hawaii is the regional coordinator for all shore-based naval personnel and shore activities in Hawaii - as well as the Navy’s representative to the Hawaii community. Today, the Navy in Hawaii has grown into a major fleet concentration area for more than 25,000 Sailors and 10,000 civilian employees working in more than 60 commands located on Oahu and Kauai. The Navy has the largest military presence in Hawaii and contributes more than $2 billion annually to the local economy, including $1 billion in salaries and $1 billion in operations, contracts and local purchases. Navy Region Hawaii at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam provide key services to maintain the safety and vital infrastructure that allows the Navy to operate efficiently in Hawaii.

Also, located in close proximity to the historical Russian Fort Elizabeth site in Waimea, Kaua’i is the Pacific Missile Range Facility Barking Sands (PMRF)

The Garden Island of Kaua’i plays an important role in the nation’s missile defense. Pacific Missile Range Facility Barking Sands (PMRF), located on the island’s west side, is the world’s largest instrumented multi-environmental range capable of supported surface, subsurface, air, and space operations simultaneously. The military has conducted a variety of missile defense tests at PMRF since the 2000s. There are over 1,100 square miles of instrumented underwater range and over 42,000 square miles of controlled airspace. In addition to missile defense, the facility supports training operations, which vary from small, single-unit exercises up to largescale, multiple-unit battle group scenarios.

PMRF is currently the third-largest employer on Kauai with nearly 1,000 personnel, including defense personnel and civilian contractors. Defense spending has infused roughly $80-100M annually into Kaua’i County, home to PMRF, primarily through the Department of the Navy, which operates PMRF. The secluded island of Ni’ihau, with a population of less than 200, located 17 miles off the coast of Kauai, is also benefitting from contracts with the defense industry. Ni’ihau Ranch LLC provides facility support to PMRF with contracts valued at roughly $1M annually.

While concern has been growing about North Korea’s ballistic missile threat, the MDA is continually researching, developing and testing various missile defense mechanisms to ensure the safety of Hawaii and the U.S. mainland. Kaua’i will continue to be a key player in ensuring our nation’s safety, which will mean continued investment in the island for research and development, job opportunities and a diversified economy.

—————————

Some here might recall this.

1/14/2024 6 years ago, false missile alert rattled Hawaii’s nerves — and showed more prep needed

Exactly six years ago, Hawaii residents and visitors woke up to a terrifying emergency alert on their cell phones that sent a wave of panic across the state.

The message warned of a ballistic missile heading for Hawaii.

It read, “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.”

That was on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018.

It took nearly 40 minutes for officials to issue a correction. But after the shock wore off, many were left with frustration and anger.

Vern Miyagi, the head of Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, resigned in the aftermath. Toby Clairmont, the executive officer of HI-EMA, also resigned in the wake of the bogus missile alert.

Back then, my family relatives and friends in Hawaii, although shocked and subsequently outraged by this false alarm, also took it as a wake up call that Hawaii residents had no idea what to do in the event of a real nuclear ballistic missile attack.

Bottom-line: The Russians are coming. Nyet! 'A’ole (no in Hawaiian)!!!

Me ke aloha pumehana (With warm regards in Hawaiian),
Ray

5 Likes