Ukraine uses new artillery to hit key bridge

[At what point will Ukraine make its invasion too expensive for Russia?]

Ukraine uses new artillery to hit key bridge for Russians

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian artillery hit a strategic bridge essential for Moscow to supply its forces occupying Ukraine’s southern region, using a U.S.-supplied precision rocket system to deliver a morale-lifting punch.

The Ukrainian military struck the Antonivskyi Bridge across the Dnieper River in southern Ukraine late Tuesday, the deputy head of the Moscow-appointed administration for the Kherson region, Kirill Stremousov, said.

He said Wednesday the bridge was still standing but its deck was pierced with holes, preventing vehicles from crossing.

The HIMARS have a longer range, a much better precision and a faster rate of fire compared with Soviet-designed Smerch, Uragan and Tornado multiple rocket launchers used by both Russia and Ukraine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukraine-forces-strike-key-bridge-…

4 Likes

Every HIMARS round shot by Ukraine is one less for NATO once Russia heads for Poland and Germany.

1 Like

Every HIMARS round shot by Ukraine is one less for NATO once Russia heads for Poland and Germany.

“Russia has committed nearly 85% of its military to the war in Ukraine… It has removed military coverage from other areas on their border and around the world.”
https://twitter.com/nickschifrin/status/1550475245227687937

FWIW, Russia does not care at all about the prospect of a conventional attack from NATO. Russia has accepted complete conventional vulnerability during the course of this war.

DB2
I’d be more concerned about China and Taiwan

4 Likes

With all the other weapons that a Russian attack on PL/DE would unlock, I doubt the absence of HIMARS would make any meaningful difference. The A-10 pilots especially would probably love the opportunity to continue making the point that F-35s are a stupid choice for loitering/ground attack roles.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, excluding nukes, US/NATO is very weak in the full scale arms department.

The last 20 years have been spent building arms for door-to-door hunts in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Ukraine was the 3rd best military on the earth (Russia, US, Ukraine). They fortified positions for 10 years in the Donbas areas. The Russians destroyed almost all within a few months. It can be argued that the Ukraine military was an extension the US military.

Russia sends 50,000 to 60,000 artillery rounds per day against Ukraine. They have been doing this for months. (Russia has been building up rounds/systems for 10 years and have plenty of resources to continue for a long time.) Except an occasional HIMARS round, nothing slows the supply chains from Russia.

Battlefield reports from Ukrainian Air Force state Russia Su-xx aircraft launch air-to-air missiles from over 100 miles. Ukrainian pilots destroyed without seeing Russian counterpart. Not sure F-35 missiles can counter this? If the Su-XX jets have some stealth then air battle is already over. (F-35s have no stealth.)

Ukraine have moved vast majority of units to Donbas area. Most are gone. When all gone, Russia takes all of Ukraine without a fight.

Do Russians stop? Good question. In March, Russians had no intension of taking all of Europe. Now that NATO is involved, Russians may roll through all of Europe. NATO (meaning the US) does not have resources to stop them outside of nukes.

US/NATO is very weak in the full scale arms department.

For every fighter plane that Russia can sortie, the U.S. and NATO can put up 1500 fighters.
From a tactical point of view, invading Poland requires supporting a 700 mile supply line, and most likely across a hostile environment.

Very unlikely military move by Russian military leaders.

3 Likes

once Russia heads for Poland and Germany.

What the heck are you “thinking” or somehow insinuating? That NATO is so weak that sharing 12 or 16 HIMARs and keeping them stocked would significantly weaken a NATO response to a Warsaw Pact (on my, that no longer exists!! and Russia stands alone)(Oh my, I forgot the formidable Lukashenko and his loyal minions!) invasion?

??? Really?

david fb

10 Likes

For every fighter plane that Russia can sortie, the U.S. and NATO can put up 1500 fighters.

Well, that is not true. But if Russians fighters can fire on US fighters before being seen, then it will only matter for a few months.

Russians also have some serious air defense systems.

From a tactical point of view, invading Poland requires supporting a 700 mile supply line, and most likely across a hostile environment.

Don’t forget Belarus. Plus taking the south of Finland will be easy.

The last 20 years have been spent building arms for door-to-door hunts in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
'Cause that’s what was being expended. Did we somehow miss the “best by” date on the Harpoons, Sidewiders, and Tomahawks sitting on the shelves back in 1999?

Except an occasional HIMARS round, nothing slows the supply chains from Russia.
Put that round in the right place, and the entire logistics chain grinds to a halt. https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/bridge-closed-russia-he…

Not sure F-35 missiles can counter this? If the Su-XX jets have some stealth then air battle is already over. (F-35s have no stealth.)
That’s what E-3A Sentries and F-22 Raptors are for.

1 Like

That NATO is so weak that sharing 12 or 16 HIMARs and keeping them stocked would significantly weaken a NATO

What does NATO have? A lot of aircraft/missiles. But what else?

In the 1970s/80s NATO had armor. But no longer.

Note: As someone who ran simulations of Soviet attack through the Fulda Gap in the 80s, US/NATO’s best hope was to delay Soviets for 5 days and then nuke them. At our finest, the US/NATO could not last more than a week against the Soviets.

aking the south of Finland will be easy.

OK, goodbye to you, you are a pure troll, a Russian bot, posting while on smoked toad skins, or purely classically delusional.

I have been to that southern frontier and know many of the Finns ready to defend it. You have no knowledge nor idea. Stalin failed in his effort, and the Finns are forking hoping that Russia crosses some line and lets them invade Russia to liberate much of Finnish Karelia that Stalin did obtain from them.

david fb

16 Likes

I hope we can discuss this around Christmas. Unless the nukes start flying. Then we need the next version of this movie to talk.

Ok

This topic fascinates me. I have been working WWIII since 1986 to kill Soviets/Russians/Commies. US is fine unless nukes fly. Interesting part is the US may start the nuke war and kill us all.

I know a lot of stuff. I’ve worked on a lot of systems. Whether you ignore me or not will not change the next few years.

Good luck amigo.

2 Likes

Note: As someone who ran simulations of Soviet attack through the Fulda Gap in the 80s, US/NATO’s best hope was to delay Soviets for 5 days and then nuke them. At our finest, the US/NATO could not last more than a week against the Soviets.

I don’t doubt that’s what your simulations said, but Ukraine has lasted almost six months against Russia so far, despite having a much, much smaller military. When does Russia start winning?

Like you say, let’s check back in a few months.

12 Likes

A completely fortified position (created since 2014) with the best of everything from the US lasts only a few months? That should worry every country in Europe.

Look at what Russia “owns” now after few months against the 3rd best military in the world. Winning.

https://readovka.news/news/105886

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Problem foreseen, solution in the works.

Poland donated most of their old Russian Equipment to the Ukraine and are buying or license producing modern replacements from South Korea.

Anymouse

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/poland-to-buy-hundreds-…

Poland to buy hundreds of South Korean tanks, howitzers after sending arms to Ukraine

Brad Lendon - 11h ago

Poland is buying almost 1,000 tanks, more than 600 pieces of artillery and dozens of fighter jets from South Korea, in part to replace equipment donated to Ukraine to help Kyiv fight the Russian invasion, the Polish Ministry of Defense told CNN on Tuesday.

The agreement, expected to be officially announced in Poland on Wednesday, will see Warsaw purchase 980 tanks based on the South Korean K2 model, 648 self-propelled K9 armored howitzers, and 48 FA-50 fighter jets, the ministry said. It would not confirm the value of the deal.

The first 180 K2 tanks, made by Hyundai Rotem and equipped with auto-loading 120mm guns, are expected to arrive this year, with the production of 800 upgraded tanks starting in 2026 in Poland, according to the ministry.

People also ask
Is South Korea’s K2 Black Panther the best tank in the world?

The K2 Black Panther. Image by Simta CC BY-SA 3.0. The Leopard 2, M1A2 Abrams, Challenger 2 and T-14 Armata are often regarded as the top dogs on today’s lists of current main battle tanks. However, South Korea’s K2 Black Panther certainly deserves a place near the top of these lists.

3 Likes

Who will defend South Korea when China moves south?