Russian troops in miserable conditions

Russian forces near Ukraine’s borders can only remain in position for a few days before they have to be sent back to nearby bases or risk their capability being significantly degraded, western officials and experts believe.

That means Putin will come under increasing pressure to use them in a full invasion of Ukraine – or send them back to staging areas, still in Russia’s south or west, but tens or even hundreds of kilometres back.

Such advance positions, often with poor protection from the cold, can be held only for a short period – and there is some evidence on social media of the poor conditions endured by soldiers near the border.

Postings spotted by military analyst Rob Lee on Monday showed about 100 soldiers camped out – or rather lying down – at a train station about 20km from Ukraine’s border, without rations and having to buy food for themselves.

See the picture of these Russian soldiers in the link below:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/23/harsh-conditio…

Jaak

P.S. - Russian troops based in Belarus, in forests near the town of Khoyniki, 50km from the Ukraine border, were described by one local a few days ago as people who “drink a lot and sell a lot of their diesel fuel”, suggesting a lack of discipline despite the heightened political tensions.

2 Likes

Are Russian troops are unprepared for battle during a Russian winter?

2 Likes

PF: Are Russian troops are unprepared for battle during a Russian winter?

Many professional military soldiers (at least ours) are not considered fully trained professionals until they have four years training and service.

Russian Federation
As of 2021, all male citizens aged 18–27 are subject to conscription for 1 year of active duty military service in armed forces, but the precise number of conscripts for each of the recruitment campaigns, which are usually held twice annually, is prescribed by particular Presidential Decree.

While the Russians have a bit of a rep for beating up on the Germans at Stalingrad the truth was they took tremendous casualties against the poorly equipped Germans and ran into a buzz saw against the Finns the first time they met in battle. If reports of the competence of the drafted Russian soldiers since the fall of the wall are correct, Putin may not want to expose them to a real battle?

Even the Russian private army mercenary troops (created by an Oligarch) got butchered when they went up against US airpower in Syria. The bodies were quietly shipped back to Russian families for burial.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/world/middleeast/american…

How a 4-Hour Battle Between Russian Mercenaries and U.S. Commandos Unfolded in Syria

Since I’m here, Canada has just announced sending an additional 450 more troops to train troops and help defend Latvia (part of our increased NATO commitment), added a second frigate and sub hunting aircraft to the bag. The news report showed HMCS Halifax heading out of port with families waving from the shore … (probably stock video?).

Tim

12 Likes

Whoops, forgot the link.

https://edmontonjournal.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/can…

National
Canada sanctions Russia, promises more troops to Latvia

Author of the article: The Canadian Press Lee Berthiaume

Publishing date: Feb 22, 2022

OTTAWA — Canada announced plans Tuesday to deploy hundreds of additional troops to eastern Europe and impose new sanctions against Russia as Western democracies rushed to respond to the deployment of Russian forces into Ukraine.

Jaak,

Like Hitler, Putin would only have partial knowledge. His decisions are a wild card that will be ultra faulty.

I am more interested in how long the two sanctioned banks last.

Russians afraid of a bit of southern weather? It’s warmer in Donesk than it is in Detroit. Current temp 45 degrees F. The lowest temp forecast over the next week is 30. It’s presently 26 in Motown. The video of Russian troops on snowy terrain we have been seeing on the news is stock footage provided by the Russians. News reports from the Ukrainian side show not one flake of snow.

I’m calling BS on this story of Russians unable to operate in present weather conditions.

Steve

2 Likes

Steve,

You are citing day time temperatures from the warmth of your den.

The Russia army has a few tents perhaps out on cold nights. They are selling their fuel. It is laughable. There is no way for Putin’s yes men to tell him anything. Not that the yes men would know anything.

3 Likes

The Russia army has a few tents perhaps out on cold nights.

What do people climbing Mt Everest sleep in overnight? Tents.

Question for Tim, what did he sleep in during winter exercises in Winterpeg?

The guys defending Bastonge often slept in a hole in the ground, in one of the coldest winters on record.

It is barely getting below freezing at night in Donetsk. Here is the week’s forecast.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Donetsk+Donetsk+Ukraine…

In the 70s, there was usually a thaw in late January around Kalamazoo. After two months of trudging around campus in daytime temps in the teens and twenties, forty degrees seemed tropical. I would be walking around with my coat open.

Steve

I’m calling BS on this story of Russians unable to operate in present weather conditions.

=======================================

Temperatures on the Northern border of Ukraine with Russia and Belarus are in the 30s during the day and 20s during the night. But it isn’t just the temperatures, the fact is they do not have any place to sleep, eat, and take care of their bodily needs. Just think about camping in the snow with no electricity.

Jaak

Are Russian troops are unprepared for battle during a Russian winter?

============================================================

Yes when stuck on the border without any amenities and shelter.

When was the last time the Russian soldiers fought in a full scale invasion? Eighty years ago during WWII.

Jaak

Question for Tim, what did he sleep in during winter exercises in Winterpeg?

We didn’t do Arctic exercises in Winterpeg, that was basic aircrew training. Even my Arctic survival school training was in Resolute Bay after I was fully qualified aircrew on the old Argus.

The winter infantry exercises you may be thinking of were in Wainwright Alberta, when it got so cold (-59F) the axel in our 3/4 ton truck broke and we had to set up a tent around our APCs and run a heater into them as the diesel fuel wouldn’t ignite because it wouldn’t evaporate. We have very good personal arctic equipment designed based on the principles used by the Inuit for a couple thousand years. Layers that trap warm air next to your body.

Some of this is commercial stuff but the real stuff was great.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1UEAD_enCA974CA974&s…

When a company of British GreenJackets showed up to train with us several of them ended up freezing their feet. The Company commander bought 80 sets of our Arctic kit for is troops and a couple months later the British army ordered 2000 sets for their ACE Mobility force (short notice deployment guys).

We also did cold weather training with the SAS guys in Jasper. One of the most fun exercises you can imagine. One guy actually tried to swim down river to plant a plastercene bomb on the bridge we were guarding. I met him later at the washup BBQ (a moose illegally shot from a helicopter). I asked him what he was thinking. He said he thought he was going to die. }};-D

The US Mountain troops were very jealous of our mukluks … they had those really odd inflatable Mickymouse boots that you couldn’t walk in. We ended the exercise by putting fake bombs in their fuel supply. The referee told the General he couldn’t refuel the vehicles because it had all been blown up. The Canuck Officers that attended the debrief were amused at the epic rant from the US divisional commander.

Oh yeah the sleeping bags were mummy bag double with an additional liner that could be washed. We also had 10 man arctic tents that burn really fast if someone accidently kicks the naptha stove … fortunately is was our platoon Sgt who kicked it … so he took the brass ring (where the pole fits into back to supply and asked if he could trade it in on a new tent. }};-D

When it is really cold you had to lubricate the weapons with candle wax. We trained with both skis and lightweight snowshoes made of aluminum.

It was long ago but some things you never forget. Lots of funny stories that might upset sensitive people so I will keep them in my head. Perhaps I will email Steve the story of the complaining navy cook who ended up on army exercise when we went single services. The army never liked complainers and arranged a terrible fate for him. }};-D

Tim

4 Likes

Isn’t the warm weather of concern to the Russians around Ukraine because the tanks need frozen ground or get bogged down. This might only apply around the Belarus border…

Isn’t the warm weather of concern to the Russians around Ukraine because the tanks need frozen ground or get bogged down.

===========================================================

Yes and no. Russian army has as much experience in mud as the Ukraine army. Battles will be fought in the mud if necessary. Same thing happened during the giant tank battles between the Germans and Russians during WWII. Here are some recent pictures of Russian tanks stuck in the mud on Ukraine border.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/russia-tanks-stuck-mud-ukrai…

Jaak

Just think about camping in the snow with no electricity.

In Michigan, people camp out in the winter for fun.

Wonderful Locations for Winter Camping in Michigan

Michigan has a reputation for harsh winters and lots of snow, but for those brave enough, Michigan can also be one of the most beautiful winter camping destinations in the world. From frozen Great Lakes to snow powdered vistas

https://www.michigan.org/article/trip-idea/wonderful-locatio…

Video of some guys camping in the UP, where it is a lot frostier than metro Detroit, and way, way, colder than Ukraine. Take a look at how minimal their shelter is, other than their sleeping bag.

Winter Camping in Northern Michigan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJQUnKOUHEA

Steve