San Francisco 12X study

San Francisco has a boycott rule known as 12X that restricts activities (travel and contracting) with over half of the states in the US. The City Administrative Office released a study this month on the impacts of the rule.

They write that “the CAO was not able to find concrete evidence suggesting 12X has influenced other states’ economies or LGBTQ, reproductive, or voting rights.”

At the same time “12X has created additional administrative burden for City staff and vendors and unintended consequences for San Francisco citizens, such as limiting enrichment and developmental opportunities.”

“While it is difficult to quantify the exact cost of 12X to the City, the Budget and Legislative Analyst notes that a loss in competition is likely to increase the City’s contracting costs by 10–20% annually. These costs could continue to increase and compound over time…”
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23609024-chapter-12x-policy-alternatives-memo?responsive=1&sidebar=0&title=0&pdf=0&onlyshoworg=1
DB2

4 Likes

And other states ban “wokies”, regardless of cost.

Steve

1 Like

I am sure that opinion was the opinion before the study began. Why else write a blog? Yes it is the city of SF, still a blog.

Yes it is having no effect because tearing down an economy in say a state with $7.25 as the minimum wage is the job in that state.

Curiosity impels me to ask: Why do you call a report by the City Administrator’s Office (requested by five city supervisors) a “blog”?

DB2

1 Like

Blog and website are interchangeable words. Websites are blogs etc etc…

Just hacking together some thoughts is not scientific research. Granted states that do not agree with SF do not care at this point. That is the bottom line. It does not take any research to know that. They just dont care. Neither does SF in the opposite direction.

Does being a poorer state matter to said poorer state? No I have a friend in Cali who openly discusses the goal of his ilk to keep some people pushing a broom. Point being the states who are poorer use poor people. The leadership keeps their states poorer. Someone has to push a broom they need zero education according to my friend. On a lot of things the guy is a total class act. In fact with people who are not his peers in our business he advises getting more education. Just along racial and gender lines he wants to use people. The national past time from 1981 to 2020.

A blog a website there is no official way to tell them apart.

Not to most people.

Blog - noun

1. a website that contains online personal reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks, videos, and photographs provided by the writer
  2. a regular feature appearing as part of an online publication that typically relates to a particular topic and consists of articles and personal commentary by one or more authors

DB2

2 Likes

Of course to most people.

Blogs masquerade as scientific research all day long.

Websites masquerade as official all day long.

Both contain subjective materials all day long.

Most of what you will google are blogs with sales pitches or half baked research. When Google started out it was incredible at finding excellent scientific research on major topics. With endless drives to be much more commercial Google almost never produces serious research results.

Yes your local town hall website will show up if you do a specific search. The format or structure is services not sciences. There are subjective reasons to serve the public behind publishing the website. That sort of subjective reaching of the public is what goes into better blogs. Having a purpose is subjective.

No they are not interchangeable. Not to anyone. Sometimes it seems like you might be a ChatBot!

JimA

8 Likes

I am a bot by my very nature… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/s-f-repeals-boycott-30-states-passed-restrictive-17917311.php
Supervisors rolled back the entire law in a 7-4 vote just one month after the board agreed to exempt construction contracts from the boycott.

DB2

4 Likes

Such BS … they rolled it back because they, and their cronies, had to decline to go on some very fun trips that they would have enjoyed. :scream:

1 Like

I don’t know about that, but a 20% surcharge on contract costs has got to hurt the city budget, especially since the city has ambitious plans for the homeless crises (not to mention million-dollar toilets).

DB2