SentinelOne Launches DataSet

Well we havent heard much from SentinelOne since the Zscaler partnership:

SentinelOne Announces Zscaler Integration, Simplifying XDR and Zero Trust Adoption
https://discussion.fool.com/Message.aspx?mid=35047590

Here is a new announcement today:

SentinelOne Launches DataSet, a Revolutionary Live Enterprise Data Platform
February 16, 2022

Company Leverages Cybersecurity Data Expertise to Help Enterprises Ingest, Store, and Understand Real Time Data at Scale – Beyond Cybersecurity Use Cases

Building upon the acquisition of Scalyr, DataSet expands beyond cybersecurity use cases delivering a limitless enterprise data platform for live data queries, analytics, insights, and retention.

Tomer Weingarten, CEO, SentinelOne.
…“We’re announcing DataSet because we believe every business benefits from the power of understanding and acting on its data. Instantaneous, easy to use, and efficient understanding of a data set is the key to making better business decisions.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sentinelone-launches-dataset-…

Love that growing product offerings on top of acquisitions.

Best, kevin c
long of S
please click on my screen name for disclosed holdings

15 Likes

I can’t complain about SentinelOne velocity of new announcements and partnerships. I think that’s one of the most active companies on this board.

I’m not sure if anyone is realizing yet how big of an announcement this is, but they have even launched a separate website for this product.

https://www.dataset.com/

They are going to compete directly with Elastic and Splunk as listed on the website and in the announcement.

In addition some of these use cases are going to overlap with Snowflake, Databricks - they list data lake as a separate product/use case.

I’ve added more to my S position and love the direction they are taking with Scalyr.

4 Likes

I’m sure Muji can weigh in better than anyone about the significance of this move with Dataset, what I think is this is a significant positive expansion of their TAM with a consumption based business and value add to their customers.

“Asana (NASDAQ: ASAN), Copart (NASDAQ: CPRT), TomTom (AMS: TOM2), and DoorDash (NASDAQ: DASH) selected DataSet to analyze all types of data from an unbounded time horizon – streaming and historical.

CTOs, CIOs, engineering, and IT operations teams select DataSet, replacing Elastic and Splunk, to harness the power of their data.”

I want to also highlight traction that SentinelOne has gained since pre-IPO. Don’t think they mentioned this in any earnings call or investor presentation but it’s stated on their website https://www.sentinelone.com/customer-page/

Per S1, “As of April 30, 2021, our customers included 3 of the Fortune 10,
37 of the Fortune 500,
and 66 of the Global 2000.”

Their website today says customers are “Including 4 of the Fortune 10 and hundreds of the global 2000”

“hundreds” of the global 2000 is a nice step up from “66”.

And I assume I also have the correct fortune 10 list: walmart, amazon, apple, CVS, UNH, berkshire hathaway, mckesson, amerisourceBergen, Google, Exxon mobil

24 Likes

I’m sure Muji can weigh in better than anyone about the significance of this move with Dataset, what I think is this is a significant positive expansion of their TAM with a consumption based business and value add to their customers.

“Asana (NASDAQ: ASAN), Copart (NASDAQ: CPRT), TomTom (AMS: TOM2), and DoorDash (NASDAQ: DASH) selected DataSet to analyze all types of data from an unbounded time horizon – streaming and historical.

CTOs, CIOs, engineering, and IT operations teams select DataSet, replacing Elastic and Splunk, to harness the power of their data.”

I was hoping to circle back to this, and agree that Muji’s take would be great.
At a high-level, you have a security company that improves their product based on data analysis essentially saying “since we are good at analyzing our data to make our product better, we thought our clients may like to do the same”.

Not saying they are becoming Amazon here, but just pointing out this is akin to Amazon realizing they had mammoth data centers for their own purposes and then opting to offer that expertise as a service (IaaS) to others.

Optionality, is the term we like to use here.
I do like this by S. I just don’t know how legit their offering is, or how big of a realistic bite of TAM they can take with this offering. Will clients be concerned they are diluting their focus away from security? Or vice versa?

I saw the same thing jonwayne did with the line “replacing Elastic and Splunk” and it really caught my eye. ESTC has been a disappointing stock, largely thanks to DDOG one would assume, but their recent results have been good. Splunk is a known and legit company in the space. To actually have companies selecting S over those two names is impressive.

But are customers of Dataset largely going to be limited to clients already using S for security? While they are growing, they don’t exactly have the lion share of clients in the world yet. So will their sales teams be bifurcated and will Dataset-sellers be approaching clients regardless of their status as an existing security customer?

One concern with the sales approach can be gleaned from Nutanix: they were setting world on fire with HCI sales. I was actually at their sales kickoff when they announced all the new products they would be selling. I was concerned at the time, and it proved prescient, that the same sellers couldn’t sell all these very different products. Plus, we are usually talking about very different client contacts you are dealing with. Not everyone can immediately get time on the CxO’s calendars. Security client contacts would be different than the Data Analysts, Product Mgrs, Mktg folks…whoever would care most about analyzing data. Think of it as who the Amplitude sellers focus on vs who the Crowdstrike sellers focus on. Some overlap, but not a lot, I would think.

Would like to see what others think about this move by SentinelOne?

Dreamer

5 Likes

I don’t buy the large expansion of TAM story without revenue to back it up.

I also hate that they re-branded it as Datasets (but it’s personal, because how confusing this name is when you throw this into a developer’s daily conversation!) so I will call it Scalyr, the company name before acquisition.

Based on what I saw on the product page and research on their history, I say they are competing directly with Datadog.

To be honest, I have never heard of Scalyr before. But I am also not a full-time DevOps engineer. So I did some digging to understand what they do and who they compete with.

An attempt of main street research

I like to use Internet forums to judge the popularity of a SaaS tool:

The first thing I do is see how many relevent hits come up when I google it.

When you Google site:reddit.com “datadog” devops (find entries from reddit.com where it must include the keyword Datadog) you get over 10 pages of hits. A quick look to page 7, 8, 9 shows that most of them are actual discussions about Datadog the tool and their pros and cons etc.

Scalyr has a total of 3 pages returned. So Datadog is wayyyy more popular.

You can also see that in some posts they are mentioned together:

> “What tools are you using for log/event monitoring?” “If you have money to spend on SaaS products Datadog or Scalyr are good”

So maybe Scalyr has good product. This is my impression as well when I did similar search on hackernews.com. But as of 2021 they generated an estimated total of less than $10M of revenue. That’s 3% of Datadog’s last quarter!

Which is why I don’t think they will get a big slice of the pie on log aggregation/management when Datadog is currently taking lunches from Splunk and ELK (Elastic). Datadog is a lot closer to the log management problem than SentinelOne and closer to the decision maker group, DevOps engineer, here.

Granted, the acquisition and rebranding means that Scalyr has access to the SentinelOne sales team. It may prove to be a worthy opponent to Datadog in time. But remember when Crowdstrike acquired Humio? https://www.crowdstrike.com/press-releases/crowdstrike-to-ac… Humio is basically the same kind of tool as Scalyr. I haven’t heard Humio taking over the logging world either.

A good SaaS product does not translate to good business performance. We have seen that so many times the last few years - Fastly immediately comes to my mind.

In short, I would still rate SentinelOne as a company based on their security product, not Datasets with the current teeny-tiny revenue when they have to compete with DataDog. Show me the money!

28 Likes

Would like to see what others think about this move by SentinelOne?

I didn’t see DataSet as an attempt to compete directly with Datadog, but more saying to their own customers “Hey, since you are already on SentinelOne, we’ll make it really easy for you to analyze your data too.”

DataSet doesn’t need to have revenue on the scale of Datadog. If it just gives Sentinel’s own revenue a 10% or 15% boost on top of what they already have (like an additional module), that would be huge for Sentinel.

But keep in mind that I have no real tech knowledge and could be completely wrong about this.

Saul

16 Likes