Since USGov't Won't;Moderna CEO Proposes

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/06/moderna-ceo-says-people-may-…
Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel said the efficacy of boosters against Covid-19 will likely decline over time, and some people may need a fourth shot by the fall.
“I still believe we’re going to need boosters in the fall of ’22 and forward,” Bancel said, adding that people who are older or have underlying health conditions might need annual boosters for years to come.
After all Bancel has future quarterly reports to worry about. It’s about keeping the flow going. The profit flow that is.

2 Likes

The CEOs of both Pfizer and Moderna have been tirelessly talking their book for nearly two years. Lets see how the 4th dose data from Israel looks.

Steve

1 Like

Better to get ready to produce another booster now than to find out later it is needed and not have it ready to go.

Mike

2 Likes

Better to get ready to produce another booster now than to find out later it is needed and not have it ready to go.

At this point, I would prefer that any new mRNA production runs be adjusted to also address delta and omicron. Pfizer (I think) said it wouldn’t take more than 3 months to make it happen.

1 Like

If the mRNA vaccines are indeed monoclonal, each vaccine might be narrow in focus. But blends of multiple vaccines in a single booster is a likely solution.

Given that FDA emergency approval is likely to require 30 days after performance data are available, anticipation is necessary to have new boosters available when needed (and approved).

1 Like

Multivalent vaccines are a given. The current mRNA vaccines have proven efficacious enough against variants that this hasn’t proven necessary for Covid-19 yet. I suspect that the future will hold a quadrivalent influenza vaccine along with a coronavirus blend as the seasonal cocktail for those wishing to remain unaffected.

The old school influenza vaccines are not particularly effective, ~50%. Better than nothing but a more modern targeted approach that could be altered in months would be welcomed.

Just common sense.

Regards -KorasDad

4 Likes

Even though Moderna is being left for dead in the market, IMHO they have a bright future if they can pull off a combined influenza/COVID vaccine.

1 Like