Skechers is...by seeking alpha child

Before someone posts the seeking alpha article and you read it, one should look up the ‘credentials’ of the author. Just out of high school and has been learning about the stock market for a whole year. At least he posts his info. Just a reminder that anonymous articles could be written by anyone with no basis other than a desire to pretend to be a savy stock analyst and an author. Readers beware.

5 Likes

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4011000-skechers-doomed

At least he posts his info

… and we all know to view unverified “info” with great skepticism.

I think it is better to evaluate the article than the age of the author. Some very intelligent people are young of age and could make some very important points. Not that This article has any redeeming qualities. Especially if you realize that the author is betting on a 6 month price movement.

Andy

4 Likes

Did anyone bother to analyze his arguments? Do they make sense? Are the facts he presents about Under Armour and Adidas true or false?

I tend to dismiss “authority” meaning believing something just because it comes from a professional, a Ph.D. or a Nobel Prize winner. I look at the arguments presented to see if they make sense or not. I think a 15 year old deserves the same treatment, to be treated by his output, not his age.

Denny Schlesinger

5 Likes

This young SA author made some points but not what you would expect from someone with a financial background providing strong closure to win over skeptics.

I would be tempted to simply copy and paste Saul’s latest analysis on SKX as a rebuttal comment but that’s like providing academic imitation to your book report from a friend.

Long SKX and an avid reader of this discussion board.

~Scott

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I lost confidence in Skechers several weeks ago and sold out of my position at a slight gain.

I can’t quite articulate the reasons. The best I can say is that there was a thread on this board not too long ago about analysis versus instinct, and my instinct regarding Skechers was to get out.

For those of you still in, and there seem to be many of you, I wish you the best.

2 Likes

I tend to dismiss “authority” meaning believing something just because it comes from a professional, a Ph.D. or a Nobel Prize winner. I look at the arguments presented to see if they make sense or not. I think a 15 year old deserves the same treatment, to be treated by his output, not his age.

Denny,

I’m sorry, but when someone posts an article on Seeking Alpha there is an unconscious feeling, that we all experience, that because it is in print it has a certain cachet of professionalism.

It DOES make a difference to learn that its opinions were written by a man-boy with little or no experience in evaluating stocks, and that one shouldn’t give his opinions the same credence that I would give to one of the Gardners, or one of the senior Fool analysts, or to your opinions, just for instance. Especially when the article is entitled “Skechers is Doomed!”

To say otherwise is being noble and inclusive but seems very naive.

I’m not saying one should ignore the opinions because of these factors, but that one should take into account experience in evaluating stocks, or lack of it.

Saul

6 Likes

I’m not saying one should ignore the opinions because of these factors, but that one should take into account experience in evaluating stocks, or lack of it.

Saul

We have a saying in Spanish: “Ni tan calvo ni con dos pelucas.” Neither bald nor wearing two wigs. I got the impression from the OP that it was a biased post (confirmation bias?) referring only to the posters age. I think a more middle of the road approach has a better payout.

Denny Schlesinger

TMFPencils
David Kretzmann

David started investing in stocks at the ripe age of 12 years old and has been a Fool ever since. David earned his bachelor’s degree at Berea College and is a graduate of the Motley Fool’s Analyst Development Program. Today he serves as an analyst for the Fool’s Rule Breakers and Supernova services. David is an avid runner and enjoys a good game of basketball and volleyball. You can join David on the Pencils Palace discussion board or find him in Rule Breakers and Supernova. Follow him on Twitter @David_Kretzmann.

http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFPencils/activity.aspx

1 Like

David Kretzman has been focused on stocks and investing for well over 10 years. He also has several years experience on the staff of MF. The writer of the article just started evaluating stocks one year ago. Do you REALLY consider they have the same knowledge and experience? Would you REALLY give as much credence to the writer of this article as you would to TMF Pencils, just because the guy wrote an article? Just wondering.

Saul

1 Like

Do you REALLY consider they have the same knowledge and experience?

David was 12 when he started… So yes, David at 13 is comparable to this guy at 15. :wink:

Denny Schlesinger

personally I don’t pay a lot of attention to anybody’s opinions. This is especially true if the opinions are well publicized . So I prefer ones I read on MF boards to those in Seeking Alpha articles.
I like facts better than opinions. Unfortunately with stocks the facts are always in the past.

So I look for the few facts that can actually be projected into the future. These might include lock solid patents like those of Arcam and ISRG
It might include things like the network effect being accumulated by Tesla as it builds ever more fast DC charging stations for BEV. Because I know from experience that it is really tough to drive a BEV long distance without them. No matter how wonderful the next Mercedes electric car, it is not going to compete with Tesla if you drive long highway distances. It takes years to find charger locations get approvals and construct them.

1 Like

For those of you still in, and there seem to be many of you, I wish you the best.

Thanks, as Saul has often said (I paraphrase), it makes no difference what happens to a stock after you’ve sold it. The only thing that makes a difference to your portfolio are the stocks you hold right now.

I agree with your actions, you should never stick with an investment that makes you feel uncomfortable, even if it is a gut reaction and you can’t clearly articulate why you sold. The fact that you didn’t feel good about it is enough. There are plenty of investment opportunities that you can feel good about, why stick with one that makes you uncomfortable?

I remain long SKX, good luck to you as well Speedy.

My feeling is that I like solar as a public good, but that stock picking is very hard in this area. It’s hard to do well by doing good in solar.