SKX Announces Third Quarter Earnings

Appears to be a large miss on analyst estimates. Shares are down 21% AH.

Estimates were around $0.55 EPS and $876M in Revenue.

SKECHERS Announces Third Quarter 2015 Financial Results

Record Net Sales of $856.2 Million, an Increase of 27.0 Percent
Earnings from Operations of $95.6 Million
Net Earnings of $66.6 Million
Diluted Earnings per Share of $0.43

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/skechers-announces-third-quart…

Sincerely,
Charlie

2 Likes

I don’t understand. The SA announcement said they beat earnings by 3c.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2850276-skechers-beats-by-0_03-…

Skechers beats by $0.03, misses on revenue

–Kevin

I don’t understand. The SA announcement said they beat earnings by 3c.

If you back out the one time legal costs they did beat by 3 cents. However people were expecting a huge blowout like last quarter. The numbers on both ends were soft versus the analyst estimates. They talked about weak domestic environment as well which probably doesn’t help.

Sincerely,
Charlie

Hi Kevin, factor in the one time charges, the non gaap eps beats by 3 cents.

Zangwei

Down 26% to $34 in AH. Glad I own AMZN and GOOG! May be expensive by some metrics but both are up huge in AH.

Htownrich

2 Likes

Just added some to my position in after hours…

sell-off appears overdone…but we’ll see.

May be a good buying opportunity. I am thinking of adding but I want to hear the CC first. Sounds like an overreaction at first blush.

Htownrich

Yowzer - down 31%. I bet Saul is going to be along in a minute saying he sold his holding earlier on in the day near the all time high and dodged this bullet like he always manages too.
Ant

27 Likes

I bet Saul is going to be along in a minute saying he sold his holding earlier on in the day near the all time high and dodged this bullet like he always manages to.

Sorry to disappoint you Ant. It didn’t happen. But I also don’t see SKX staying down at these levels. JMO

Saul

5 Likes

I guess what I mean is that revenues up 27% doesn’t deserve a 30% reduction in price, for any company. And legal expenses, for things that are clearly time limited, will soon be gone, leaving incredibly large comparisons for this quarter and next in 2016.

9 Likes

As we all know on this board, it is vital that we do our own analysis and research and form our own conclusions. We need to be fishermen and fisherwomen, not dilettantes shopping in the seafood aisle at our local Whole Foods fish mart.

With this principle firmly in mind, after carrying out an exhaustive analysis of all relevant factors and modeling future cash flows in various ways, I decided to add some SKX shares at $30.99 AMC today.

Lesser people might just have relied on all the good work done on this board by Saul and other very smart people in making this investment decision, but that would be too easy – it would free up time for hiking with the dogs and drinking Hot Chocolate under the Indian summer moon and just generally get in the way of quality time spent with the old desktop crunching numbers and reading poorly transcribed conference calls.

No, the siren call of the beautiful outdoors could not tempt me! I just put on the old green eye-shade, closed all the windows, and started crunching numbers on the trusty Compaq. (Or at least that is my story and I am sticking to it.)

I do not want to bore you all with my detailed analysis, but if you would like me to email you my spreadsheets and simulation code, please send an email to me at dgardner@fool.com saying:

Booyah, Jimbo!! Any hot trading tips for a big fan?

This message – a secret code we are using solely for this purpose – is designed to get immediate attention and provoke a quick reaction.

Rich (aka “Jimbo”)

CED

36 Likes

So is this another ‘it was hunky dore up until today then it turned on a dime- we thought it would be rosy but it is dark dark dark’. We are definitely blind and spinning like a top. I really ought to go back to long term buy and hold and not bother looking at these things every day.
First BOFI then SKX. What’s the next steep move? SWKS? Hopefully up. AMBA looks tempting but who knows what its stock will do when they report in a few weeks maybe with lighter GPRO revenues?
For those who have >10% in one or more of these stocks, how do you react to those one day> 30% drops? Do you panic and sell? Do you wait for the rebound to sell? Do you reduce? Do you buy more? Now? Or a bit later? Do you hold on for the ride?
tj

1 Like

For those who have >10% in one or more of these stocks, how do you react to those one day> 30% drops? Do you panic and sell? Do you wait for the rebound to sell? Do you reduce? Do you buy more? Now? Or a bit later? Do you hold on for the ride?
I go back to bed and wait for the pub to open and then I go and order a large gin and tonic.
Ant

6 Likes

Rich:
We can do all sort of analysis. I get your do your homework type of call. But the question here is though they are all kinds of analysis you could do, the crust of the question is what will happen to the business in future, and that question is hard and do not lend to any simple analysis. This is not physics.
All sort of financial houses claim to have some type of proprietary model that is supposed to give a better prediction but there is a lot of hogwash. With all the sophistication, they will not be able to know when best to buy or to sell. I see those reports of buy and sell with their 50 pages analysis but on the end accuracy is lacking.
After the considerations, you need to ask yourself: will I be lucky this time?

tj

1 Like

“Well,do ya.”

http://youtu.be/u0-oinyjsk0

Cheers
Qazulight

1 Like

I do not want to bore you all with my detailed analysis, but if you would like me to email you my spreadsheets and simulation code, please send an email to me at dgardner@fool.com saying:

I received a message back that the mail box was full. You wouldn’t happen to have a phone number you could put out so we can all conference on and talk this over?

Andy

7 Likes

May be a good buying opportunity. I am thinking of adding but I want to hear the CC first. Sounds like an overreaction at first blush.

Htownrich

A “momentum” stock like this is likely to see a lot of people want to leave if they think growth has slowed. When the selling comes in tomorrow, there could be lots of volume and easily 10% more down on a quick dip. Be ready if you have conviction. Options will have a lot of volatility built in, a call-write might turn quick profits, or at the very least make your buy cheaper if it is not called away.

$32 is already below the 200dma. I would not be surprised to see an additional 10% drop with a finish above the 200dma. Jan 2014 saw it tread around the 200dma for a few weeks, but it has not gone below it since.

Time will tell.

1 Like

You wouldn’t happen to have a phone number you could put out so we can all conference on and talk this over?

Hi Andy,

I wish I could provide my phone number, but with all the women who read these boards – well, that would be like waving a lamb chop in front of a wolf. And who needs that particular headache?

Now if I were 40 years younger . . . .

Best,

Rich
CED

22 Likes

Thanks, PuddinHead42.

I guess what I mean is that revenues up 27% doesn’t deserve a 30% reduction in price, for any company. And legal expenses, for things that are clearly time limited, will soon be gone, leaving incredibly large comparisons for this quarter and next in 2016.

It is not the absolute value, but the trend. If “everyone” thinks the ride is over, they get off and find another ride. We see irrationality all the time, but we can’t tell if the buyers or sellers are irrational until later. Is BOFI a good buy now? Is SKX? Is AMBA? We hope our 1YPEG evaluation method works, it has for Saul, but if it does work, it works on average and it will fail sometimes. If you get out of your failures with small losses and ride winners for big gains you win. Which is this going forward?

I promise you that 1 year from now I can tell you exactly what you should have done.

16 Likes