Skx worth picking up in the dip?

I’m underweight on skx. Anyone think it’s worth picking up more at this dip/price?

1 Like

I did. As far as I know, nothing’s changed with respect to the investment thesis (except that now it’s a more favorable buy…)

• Khleb

I’m waiting to see with cash in hand, but that’s just me. A lot depends on your timeframe. If you know you’re going to hold it for 5-10 years, then a resounding answer would be “yes.” If you’re only looking for a quick gain over 6 months, this is probably an ill-conceived time to try to do achieve that… but if you were going to do it anyway, SKX would probably be one I’d consider. :slight_smile:

I sold my GOOGL shares this morning, with an eye on possibly adding more to my SKX position SKX is down almost 7% today, but I want to see what tomorrow and maybe even next several day(s) bring first.

To me there’s a lot of noise in the system right now, greater market fluctuation, and the possibility that we may have already made a turn (far be it for me to prognosticate, I’m just reporting what my own sheets say, against the number of days many of them have been red). I’m concerned, but not acting … yet … other than to make sure I’m prepared for long-term opportunities. I will say that several of my holdings are nearing the point in their charting where my general “system” would have me sell.

I picked up more SKX, too. And it was already my largest holding at 8%. Now it’s 8 1/2%, and I’m very happy with that.

Thanks, all!

Vivienne

1 Like

I am close to 20 per cent for SKX but can not resist adding today as well.

Jim

1 Like

I bought a little too.
Saul

1 Like

I got some more as well

1 Like

I have sub 90. I don’t have as much conviction in buying the SKX dip as buying the INBK peak but still it might be worth it. Watching very carefully for semiconductor sentiment though. If the sentiment hardens in its negativity then we could see a problem here. I’m also stalking ARM(H) now that it seems to be coming back to more reasonable levels. I would be a buyer of ARM sub 850 (or sub 40 in US speak).
A

1 Like

Duh sorry was referring to Skyworks not Skechers. Skechers seem to be supported by a secular trend towards casual shoes with Adidas joining the party too I see.

From a Brit’s point of view it seems weird - I didn’t think American fashion could get more casual (unless perhaps people start wearing Lululemon lycra to the office).

But then I’m still wearing proper leather shoes, shirt and trousers to the office and wearing suit and tie to see clients.

Ant

1 Like

Clearly you think people don’t wear Lululemon to the office, sorry to disabuse you but that’s a common thing around here.

Long Lululemon,
Flygal

2 Likes

Clearly you think people don’t wear Lululemon to the office, sorry to disabuse you but that’s a common thing around here.
In the airforce officers’ base? Wow!
:wink:
Ant

Those days are long past, in Silicon Valley people wear pajamas or yoga clothes, jeans, shorts and flip flops, whatever.

Woe to the guy who wears a suit, many offices forcefully cut off ties and mount them on walls. It is common to refuse to admit people wearing ties. But really I doubt that anyone shows up in ties anymore. Maybe a chauffeur, or someone from the east coast out for a meeting.

In the Air Force people pretty much wore flight suits sunup to sundown. Navy was very different, I got special permission from the ship’s Captain to eat in the officers mess in my flight suit, when I flew out to my husband’s ship. If you did not get a pod there was no place for a change of clothes…

Woe to the guy who wears a suit, many offices forcefully cut off ties and mount them on walls. It is common to refuse to admit people wearing ties. But really I doubt that anyone shows up in ties anymore. Maybe a chauffeur, or someone from the east coast out for a meeting.

In the Air Force people pretty much wore flight suits sunup to sundown. Navy was very different, I got special permission from the ship’s Captain to eat in the officers mess in my flight suit, when I flew out to my husband’s ship. If you did not get a pod there was no place for a change of clothes…

I work at a large tech company in the Silicon Valley and recently started to wear a suit/tie once or twice a week in the office. I’m really into good suits and wanted to break them out as they were collecting dust.

The looks and response I get are pretty incredible, I’m treated like an endangered species - most of it is complimentary and/or people thinking I have another job interview.

1 Like

I am a long term stuffy person who, even though I have a very small company and I am the management, used to show up to work on days when I didn’t expect to meet anyone outside the office in a coat and tie. Enough years in California relaxed that, but I still almost always wore at least a blazer whenever I was outside the office. Now in Illinois, the weather has won and a blazer is more for special occasions. But, when I go to professional meetings, it is back to blazer and tie. In the US, there is one meeting where I speak most years that one of the organizers keeps ribbing me about needing a special, higher rate attendance fee in order to be allowed to wear a tie … since I am almost always a speaker who pays no attendance fee, this is silly, but it indicates the attitude among IT people. At the European conference where I usually am also a speaker, there are many more jackets and even a few ties. Although, at both the other extreme of dress is more like beach causal than business casual.

1 Like

Wandering through the local Chinatown department store in Singapore this weekend, I checked out the shoe section and how Skechers were positioned.

First off their display apparatus was a notch above all the others. Still in keeping with the store but definitely better quality and condition than the rest. Second they had double the width of wall display than all other shoe merchants. Thirdly they had a higher tech format with a screen and promotional video content. Location-wise, whilst the outside window front display was next to the entrance, the inside display was further away from the entrance against a side wall in the corner which meant that looking sideways on entering you would see it clearly - the rest you would have to turn back on yourself after entering or only see straight ahead on exiting.

Overall - their merchandising seemed pretty smart vs the competition.

Ant

9 Likes

Actually whilst I’m on Skechers anecdotes in Singapore, I was over at friends this weekend and there were a rack of shoes parked outside the apartment (it’s the way people do things in Singapore).

Anyhow probably about 1/3rd were Skechers and they weren’t all girl’s shoes. (The tenants are 2:1 female to male ratio). When I asked about it, the guy said that yes they were comfortable but he also used them for serious running as well other models for every day purposes. They looked like converse but cooler and more shoe like than pumps like.

I know we have talked about running shoes before and I also have discovered Asics and prefer them to anything else I have used, but it seems Skechers are generating a genuine following for serious sports purposes and seemed to have moved beyond their girly fashion image that seemed to define them when they first started in London.

Ant

2 Likes

I know we have talked about running shoes before and I also have discovered Asics and prefer them to anything else I have used, but it seems Skechers are generating a genuine following for serious sports purposes

I tend to own quite a few running/sports shoes at one time as I do a lot of walking with bits of running and workouts in between. At the moment, 2 pair of Asics, 2 pair of Sketchers, 1 pair of Nike and 1 pair of New Balance.

By far, the Asics have been my favorite but are my oldest of the bunch and need replacing. I don’t wear if I am going to jog now but usually for long walks. I bought 2 pair of sketchers at the same time, one to use for park walking and one I thought I would keep clean and could use as causal shoes. But the Sketchers did tend to wear out quicker then the rest. They were better priced (probably half of Asics) but don’t think they are the greatest of quality.

The Nikes I only really wear if I am going to jog/run at the moment.

I will go back to Asics for my next running shoe. It is heavier than the Nike but supports and feels better to me. Not sure if I buy Sketchers again but do love the stock

4 Likes