Skyworks, a speculation.

In their earnings report they said that during the quarter they landed:

a new connected home hub for a leading online retailer,

Now since the only leading online retailer I know is Amazon, did they land the next Echo or Echo Spot hub? This is just a total speculation on my part and I have no evidence for it at all. Just wondering…

Saul

7 Likes

Saul,

If the report truly said leading online retailer then I don’t know too many other of those, and if it weren’t a big one I don’t think they’d consider it worth mentioning.

Amazon Echo is making big inroads into the home. This is something Apple is trying to do with Apple TV, but their problem is their device isn’t always “on” and it isn’t hand’s free.

I think it deserves watching. Thanks for bringing it up Saul.

Best,
–Kevin

5 Likes

Good catch, Saul!

Because they said it was from a leading online retailer I would have to imagine they meant Amazon’s Echo. Google has the Nest and I know companies like GE and Honeywell are starting to develop more connected home products, but Amazon is the only one that fits the online retailer description.

Matt
MasterCard (MA) and PayPal (PYPL) Ticker Guide
See all my holdings at http://my.fool.com/profile/CMFCochrane/info.aspx

FYI: Google Nest is discontinued

Good catch. I’m assuming that has to be Amazon. For people getting into home automation, there’s really only two ‘hubs’ on the market (SmartThings and Wink - there’s others, but none have really made much noise). The Echo, while not a true hub (yet?), has really been the only new entrant lately. And, as far as smart home enthusiasts are concerned, it’s by far the preferred choice.

The ‘Smart home’ is such a fragmented industry, I’m doubtful another leading online retailer will be releasing a hub anytime soon. The Echo, itself, was released with no “smart” functionality and has slowly added it over time. Truthfully, most of the population still views it as a cool little speaker. Bezos is using it as a trojan horse into the home.

I think the Echo will continue to be a gigantic success for Amazon, and if SWKS is in it, it could be a huge success for them as well.

8 Likes

SaulR80683: a new connected home hub for a leading online retailer,

Now since the only leading online retailer I know is Amazon, did they land the next Echo or Echo Spot hub?

I’ve written many press releases and case studies and the general rule of thumb is this: the legal department is fine if you write a leading online retailer when you’re not referring to the leading online retailer.

In other words, a leading online retailer could be the number 5 or 10 or 20 online retailer on a list of 100; if you write the online retailer, it had better be the clearly recognized leader on everybody’s lists or the legal department is not going to sign off.

Just my 2 cents.

9 Likes

discontinued? they buy Nest and the discontinued its product?

what did they salvage from this acquisition? was that a waste of money. I think they are trying to cut down on the ‘innovative concepts’ to purse…was that part of that trend?

tj

Sorry all, have gotten slightly off topic here…

discontinued? they buy Nest and the discontinued its product?

Gordogato posted this website link on the Google board earlier this week.

http://didgoogleshutdown.com/

I had never seen the site before and was surprised to see all the things they have or will be shutting down. I use Picasa and had not heard they’ve stopped support on it.

Regarding Nest, it says its “Status” is “Dying” and “Outlook” is “Sketchy”.

An interesting site.

OCD: In other words, a leading online retailer could be the number 5 or 10 or 20 online retailer on a list of 100; if you write the online retailer, it had better be the clearly recognized leader…

…should be:

In other words, a leading online retailer could be the number 5 or 10 or 20 online retailer on a list of 100; if you write the leading online retailer, it had better be the clearly recognized leader…

1 Like