Stock picking is like golf

I started playing golf 4 years ago. Today, I am very average. One day I hit my drives great but putting is poor. The next time, my chipping is great but driving is poor. I think I am swinging the clubs the same way but something minor can be off which causes me to hit the ball much worse than I wanted to hit it ie my swing plane, the weather.

Stock picking seems the same way to me. I am very average, and the last three months very poor. One day I pick a stock with great earnings and low 1YRPEG but it goes down ie SKX. The next time, I pick a stock with little earnings and/or a high, high PE and it goes up tremendously ie AMZN.

I guess I need to remind myself that if golf and stock picking were easy, we would all be scratch golfers and multi-millionaires! This has been a rough couple of months for me with AMBA, BOFI, SKX, and NFLX going down while GOOG, FB and AMZN are doing great. I live to fight another day on the course this afternoon and against the market this morning. Five years from now I think this will all be forgotten and I will have a single digit handicap and only green on my screen! Have a great weekend!

Htownrich

10 Likes

Five years from now I think this will all be forgotten and I will have a single digit handicap and only green on my screen

As an avid golfer for about 50 years, I have some bad news for you about that single digit handicap…hope you do better with the green screen.

DT

1 Like

If the quest for a single-digit handicap is important, consider an innovative approach like a higher radix. Various historic examples can be found below, but why be constrained by precedents?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radix

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

RH you cracked me up, very nerdy of you

1 Like

Stock picking is like golf

and it takes a lot of balls to play they way I do :wink:

3 Likes

If the quest for a single-digit handicap is important, consider an innovative approach like a higher radix

I use binary, or base 2 for counting donuts consumed. 1,0,1,0,1. Ah, that feels better.

Golf is only worthwhile if you eliminate scoring and putting. It then becomes a wholly pleasurable and artistic pastime in delightful surroundings. I find people who want to score tedious. They seem to think about figures, instead of the view, and take delight in a little card instead of the birdsong. I have noticed they do not even hear the birdsong!

Putting, of course, is ridiculous and the skill at it mostly spurious. The target is the green. Then you move on to the next long and short game, which is the essence of it.

Practise strokes are also too much. You play the shot. The thing is not to stand around (qv putting, above).

2 Likes

interesting, I modify by starting 150 out on every hole and I do put, but I turn every hole into a par three 150 yard hole that makes it fun for me. I don’t keep score either.

1 Like