Taxes Doing the Lord's Work

Canada says vaccine mandates work as Quebec’s ‘unvaxxed tax’ leads to spike in first-dose appointments
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/12/americas/quebec-vaccine-manda…

Why are Canadians so much smarter than Americans?

intercst

7 Likes

“Why are Canadians so much smarter than Americans?”

New York City has had mandates on having to have proof of vaccination for eating out, attending shows, etc.

Didn’t stop record infections there.

Several northeast states are up at 75 to 80% vaxxed…but hasn’t stopped record infections there.

Your local pot dealer could care less about your vax status so that wouldn’t make a difference.

Now, if Canadians were so smart, why didn’t they have the vax 6 months before the USA? (snark off)

t.

1 Like

New York City has had mandates on having to have proof of vaccination for eating out, attending shows, etc.

Didn’t stop record infections there.

Of course it didn’t. Two shots do not stop most Omicron infections. Two shots do help lower Omicron hospitalizations. NYC hospitalizations are much lower than 2 years ago. And the unvaccinated are now 6x more likely to be hospitalized with COVID.

A booster is needed to stop Omicron infections. How many in NYC got a booster shot? Confirmed cases can also be affected by test availability, and so looking at hospitalizations is better.

The unvaxxed are increasing medical costs enormously, and so an ‘unvaxxed tax’ is a smart idea. It just passes on the costs to those deciding to take the risks.

—links ----
Covid hospitalizations surge in New York City, but fewer patients are in the ICU, January 7, 2022
Peak hospitalizations: 12k April 2020, 4k February 2021, 6k so far in 2022.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/07/covid-hospitalizations-surge…

Hospitalizations per 100,000 people in NYC: 120 for unvaccinated, 20 for vaccinated, 45 citywide.
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page#daily…

4 Likes

Canadians also have a carbon tax. Any mention of tax in the US makes some apoplectic, and so the US federal political system is unable to say this trigger word. The intention was to ‘starve the beast’, but the beast can easily borrow. ‘Give a Loan to the Beast’ is what the US is doing, and this has led to a larger federal government as the beast has binged on seemingly unlimited loans. There is a limit, but we won’t know until we hit it.

9 Likes

Having to deal with dangerous cold every winter may help Darwin along in culling the herd.

—Peter

4 Likes

Having to deal with dangerous cold every winter may help Darwin along in culling the herd.

In the days before cell phones, the local news in west Michigan would report on a couple occasions every year, of people getting stuck in the snow out in the boonies, see the lights of a house across the field, maybe a mile away, and make for the house to call for a tow. The police would start looking for the body the next day, when the abandoned car was found.

Steve

1 Like

steve203 writes,

In the days before cell phones, the local news in west Michigan would report on a couple occasions every year, of people getting stuck in the snow out in the boonies, see the lights of a house across the field, maybe a mile away, and make for the house to call for a tow. The police would start looking for the body the next day, when the abandoned car was found.

A few months ago I watched a video about the Northernmost large city, Norilsk, Russia – 250 mi North of the Arctic Circle.

They apparently have a problem with people getting drunk and freezing in their cars on the way home. If the heater stops working, you’re dead in 20 to 30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhMMMLgHXLY

intercst

—Peter

Nah, it got to “feels like” -26C last night, I just hunkered down in my Nat gas heated condo. My den with two large monitors and a fair sized TV and watched a replay of WWII on Netflix.

The real truth is that it is much easier to replace Prime Ministers that screw up than trying to get rid of a POTUS who has far more (or less?) power and a massive number of people who for some weird reason want the crappy job?

Then there is the problem with having the most powerful military in the world and trying to find a way to prove it? Hopefully we have learned from Afghanistan and Iraq to stop following y’all into the breech? We didn’t even have a real Civil War! When the US finished theirs they had this massive combat experienced military looking around for a job … so the Brits decided it was time we Canucks went off on our own!

Anymouse <suspects the royal legacy spawn may be committing a form of regicide?>

OT - At one time in my life I almost ended up in Vietnam as an Australian Infantryman! If it hadn’t been for an arcane diplomatic agreement between Aussie and Canada to not recruit immigrants directly from each other I was almost on my way. Seemed like a good idea at the time when I applied and was reaching the end of my enlistment in Germany. }};-D

2021. In a poll conducted in February 2021 by Research Co., 45% of Canadians (up 13 points since 2020) would prefer for Canada to have an elected head of state, while 24% (down three points) would rather keep the monarchy. The proportion of Canadians who say they do not care either way dropped by nine points to 19%.

3 Likes