Thanks to all of you!

I’m blown away by the great analysis, creative ideas, and intelligent discussion all of you contribute to this board. It’s amazing! Thank you all so much!

Saul

23 Likes

Saul,

Thanks to YOU!

I accidentally stumbled across this board at the beginning of this year, and after reading through the posts I decided to put some money into SKX, INBK, SWKS, CRTO and WAB. The last two are off course recommended by the newsletters I subscribe to but not the other three. I have already made significant gains on the first two (thanks to CMFGoLongPicks for pointing out INBK).
I look forward to riding the wave, and hopefully contribute to this board as well.

So thanks for providing leadership on this board,
Kris

3 Likes

Saul

You have made it possible…

Thank YOU for this board, the strong leadership, and the hard work you put here.

Financial Independence. It can be done! You and others posting here have done it, and teach the rest of us, regular people, to do it.

Thank you all for sharing!

Maria

1 Like

and teach the rest of us, regular people

Maria, if you haven’t read The Millionaire Next Door yet, I highly recommend it. The big takeaway is that nearly everyone who becomes financially independent are just regular people! They save and invest in assets that appreciate in value (whether real-estate, or their own businesses, or someone else’s business via the stock market, etc) instead of spending all their money on things that go down or disappear entirely in value (fancy cars, expensive meals, the latest fads, etc).

One of my favorite parts is when the authors first start interviewing deca-millionaires – people with at least $10 million or more. And this was in the 1980’s, so $10 million meant even more back then. The authors wanted to provide refreshments, and they naturally assumed that this crowd would have fancy tastes. So they made sure they had fine wines, caviar, pate, and all sorts of other high-end stuff to eat and drink:

Nevertheless, we wanted to make Mr. Bud feel that we fully understood the food and drink expectations of America’s decamillionaires. So after we introduced ourselves, one of us asked, “Mr. Bud, may I pour you a glass of 1970 Bordeaux?”

Mr. Bud looked at us with a puzzled expression on his face and then said: “I drink scotch and two kinds of beer – free and BUDWEISER!”

We hid our shock as the true meaning of our decamillionaire’s message dawned upon us. During the subsequent two-hour interview, the nine decamillionaire respondents shifted constantly in their chairs. Occasionally they glanced at the buffet. But not one touched the pate or drank our vintage wines. We knew they were hungry, but all they ate were the gourmet crackers.

The other interesting thing is that most family wealth tends to be completely squandered by the 2nd or 3rd generation. The kids (and especially grandkids) mistake the tokens of success with success itself. Whereas the wealth builders only treat themselves to something nice after they’ve become successful and can afford it, the kids and grandkids tend to think that the ability to treat themselves to something nice makes them successful, and so they end up blowing all their money keeping up with the Jones’.

So anyway, everyone here are regular folks! And I think that’s the most empowering thing: nearly anyone can become financially independent if that’s what they really want. You don’t have to come from wealth, you don’t have to be a financial genius, you don’t have to work at a fancy job that pays a ton of money. In that book, you’ll see people from all walks of life and pay scales do it.

Neil

24 Likes

I’ve learned so much from this board. Many thanks to Saul and the other wonderful contributors who give so much of their time and expertise.

• Matt

As an investing rookie, I thank Saul and everyone for invaluable lessons delivered each and every day. My investing life has been revolving around this board. And I hope this journey continues.

Hex

1 Like

So anyway, everyone here are regular folks! And I think that’s the most empowering thing: nearly anyone can become financially independent if that’s what they really want. You don’t have to come from wealth, you don’t have to be a financial genius, you don’t have to work at a fancy job that pays a ton of money.

One of my goals has been to be financially independent.

Here is a link to the FIRE Wannabe board I started back in 2003.

http://discussion.fool.com/what-is-a-fire-wannabee-19421355.aspx…

I’ve never made a lot of money. I have raised two kids. Times were tight for many years.

Yet, I’ve had a goal of retiring at age 50 for a long time. I think I’m going to be able to do it.

My house is paid off as of a few months ago. Both kids have gone, are going to free colleges that give them a stipend and a guaranteed job.

I work a blue collar job as does my wife.

If we can do what we are doing, there is no reason anyone can’t.

Yet, society seems to be stuck on immediate gratification.

Live below your means and save a lot of your income. Learn how to invest to help make more money.

The Fool has helped me immensely.

Fool on,

mazske

MKL Ticker Guide
Check my profile to see what I hold

10 Likes