The 4th

It’s hard to celebrate the 4th this year because our country is so divided and I blame the Supreme Court for dividing us more.

18 Likes

Meno - So true, I’ve very mixed feelings as the day unfolds, we’re heading over to Sonoma to my BIL’s remodeled Fountaingrove replacement home later today, only to walk to more incidents in Sacramento, & N of Chicago… Familiar places where we always felt safe, night shifts, whatever… Crazy times…

All the best, BTW, if you venture into Facebook, there are Bell System, Western Electric Groups, mainly Shops, Plant folks, but also some from Engineering, Installation mixed ip, bits of history, etc…

weco

1 Like

It’s hard to celebrate the 4th this year because our country is so divided and I blame the Supreme Court for dividing us more.

The Supreme Court returned power and the responsibility to make law to the people (ie their elected representatives in Congress). Restoration of democratic principles should be celebrated.

15 Likes

Which they are doing through its power of judicial review. Judicial review is not mentioned in the Constitution. It was made up out of whole cloth in the 1803 Marbury v. Madison decision. Life doesn’t like logic but loves irony.

4 Likes

"dividing us more. "

nah.

Howie52

The Supreme Court merely rules on cases they are presented. Division between citizens
does not start from the Judicial Branch of the government. The three branches are
intended to be separate and distinct and in opposition. They are intended to prevent
any one branch from usurping power from the people.

6 Likes

The Supreme Court returned power and the responsibility to make law to the people (ie their elected representatives in Congress). Restoration of democratic principles should be celebrated.

WHAT!!!

11 Likes

Watch the politics. Political boards are getting the axe these days…

IP

5 Likes

Watch the politics. Political boards are getting the axe these days… - IP

I only responded to mendoman, so why admonish me and not him?

3 Likes

I only responded to mendoman, so why admonish me and not him?

You got the most recs so it seemed to be the best post to reply to. It’s a suggestion to all of you, if you wish the board to continue, not a personal scolding.

TMF has made a declaration. Not so much one with words, but one with actions. I suggest we listen.

IP

9 Likes

"Watch the politics. Political boards are getting the axe these days…

IP "

Providing instruction on the tricameral nature of our federal government is not
political. All branches are influenced by the major political parties but particularly
the Supreme Court is not political in any way other than possibly through the selection of
cases to be ruled upon,

Howie52
You would have to consider the U.S. Constitution as a political document rather than a
charter of government.

What TMF would consider the thread is another matter altogether.

“What TMF would consider the thread is another matter”

A little “Airplane!” humor could never be used to close a board.

3 Likes

Yes, they did! And that’s another fine mess they’ve made!!! Welcome to Ohio, not.

Birgit

1 Like