The amazing Hummer EV battery

… the battery weighs more than a Honda Civic (2,923 lbs). Does it really make sense to carry around the weight of a 329 mile battery if you’re not making frequent use of that range?

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/16/22937491/hummer-ev-electr…

intercst

4 Likes

intercst:“… the battery weighs more than a Honda Civic (2,923 lbs). Does it really make sense to carry around the weight of a 329 mile battery if you’re not making frequent use of that range?”

The Hummer is an off road vehicle. Out in the boonies…miles from anywhere…

If you run out of gas in your Jeep - you can get someone to bring you a can of gas 100 miles out in the boondocks…but with an EV? Good luck. And that Civic weight battery isn’t going to be recharged with a solar panel, or rinky dink 5KW generator…

t.

3 Likes

Does it make sense to buy a Hummer at all? (Except for the vanishingly few who use it as a back-country vehicle – in which case, telegraph is right about the battery.)

Wendy (fit the vehicle to the need, not the ego)

If we did that, there would be few cars at all.

It’s so logical, it just doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

Wendy (fit the vehicle to the need, not the ego)

Nah. Sales is about pushing emotional buttons, whether it’s for cars or homes or anything else.

IP

“Does it make sense to buy a Hummer at all? (Except for the vanishingly few who use it as a back-country vehicle – in which case, telegraph is right about the battery.)”

I spend a lot of time in the woods, all seasons. I have never seen a Hummer on a forest 2 track.
The few I do see around are always on pavement. Same with Range Rovers,they were made famous by
their use in the African bush, but have never seen a Range Rover in the woods, either. But
people can buy whatever they want, it’s their money.

During a winter festival a few years back, a friend who is a salesman won a contest that let him
have the use of a Hummer for an afternoon. Lots of snow that year. He left the parking area,
and decided he’d check out the Hummer’s capabilities by climbing a good sized snow covered hill. He found himself stuck instantly. Don’t know if it was a driver problem or a truck capability problem,lol.

1 Like

If you run out of gas in your Jeep - you can get someone to bring you a can of gas 100 miles out in the boondocks

Assuming you have cell service.

I’m sure that people laughed when cars ran out of gas and someone on a horse had to go and get them a can of gas as well.

Mike

2 Likes

I’m sure that people laughed when cars ran out of gas and someone on a horse had to go and get them a can of gas as well.

But a can of gas is easier to carry than a can of 240V 50A.

5 Likes

240V 50A???

Is that the normal AC charging spigot that these over priced golf carts get plugged in to? Yikes.

If yes, don’t batteries under charge (and their AC/DC converters) get hotter than blue blazes?

Could poke around to search for answers, but maybe someone on the board here has an authoritative response?

(Side question: How long does it take to gas up a depleted Tesla at 240V/50A?)

But a can of gas is easier to carry than a can of 240V 50A.

Sure.
But in the Tesla app you just go to roadside assistance and tap on “ran out of range” and they send someone. I haven’t tried this, but did use it for a flat tire. Someone called me back within ~3 minutes and already knew right where my car was located and and even though it was after hours someone showed up within an hour with a free matching loaner tire. I actually had switched cars at home and they would have swapped the tires in my driveway without me being there, but I got home just as the service guy arrived.

They do make portable battery chargers, which have existed for decades for jump starting. They also have these with L2 charger cables for EVs. AAA has had this since 2013 based on a google search.
Of course if you are 50 miles from a fast charger you probably have to get towed on a flatbed.

Mike

240V 50A???

Is that the normal AC charging spigot that these over priced golf carts get plugged in to? Yikes.

If yes, don’t batteries under charge (and their AC/DC converters) get hotter than blue blazes?

Could poke around to search for answers, but maybe someone on the board here has an authoritative response?

That’s normal. I have a 50A circuit but use a 30A charger (technically, the charger is on the car, the wall box is an EVSE “electric vehicle supply equipment”).

240*30/1000 = 7.2kW (roughly).

We typically charge from about 20% to 80%. 66kWh battery, so it takes about 66*0.6/7.2 = 5.5 hours.
I (hopefully) sleep more than that each night, so it’s not any hardship whatsoever.

A Hummer has a 212kWh battery. Similar charging at home would take 212*0.6/7.2 = 18 hours.
Yeah, I’d have to upgrade my EVSE if I got a Hummer, but that’s not going to happen.

I wonder if prospective Hummer and EV truck buyers realize how long it’s going to take to charge those giant batteries at home?

The batteries and equipment don’t get hot at these rates. Pleasantly warm.
Using DC fast charging they can get hot.

1 Like

Not coming anytime soon to the middle of no where places of TX.

https://www.tyrepress.com/2014/04/rac-launches-first-mobile-…

JLC

Telsa model 3 LR has an 82kWh battery. The maximum Tesla Level 2 wall charger will draw 48A at 240V. That comes to about 11.5kW. So from 0 to 100%, it would take about 7 hours. BUT people rarely charge from 0 to 100, Tesla recommends charging to 90%, and for people who regularly charge at home, it rarely gets below 20%*, so the typical charge would be max 20 to 90%, so the typical max home charging period on a 48A charger would be about 5 hours.

I have a 240V/32A max charger (the one that comes with the car), so that one charges at about 7.6kW max.

• When you go on a long trip, the car will route you and plan stops at superchargers (or other chargers) and usually plans for you to get home with 20 to 30% remaining.
1 Like