The camera in my pocket

I have a lot of good photography equipment, but it is on the shelf almost all of the time. My iPhone is the camera I have with me all the time. Over the years it has become a better and better camera. Here are a couple shots of a redbud tree I took yesterday. The only editing that I did was to crop them a little to remove parts of our deck.

https://twitter.com/jimferguson/status/1520410881733058560

2 Likes

Lovely! Did you do anything special to take the shot (shift focus point, etc), or just let the iPhone do it’s thing?

I just let the phone go into macro mode automatically and did the same for focus and exposure. Other that the minor cropping that I mentioned, those are straight out of the camera.

2 Likes

I presume you have the 13 as I don’t think macro available in 12 pro max. Shame as for real close ups, I miss that feature.

Yep. many Nikons are lonely in the closet lately, a D90, D7200 and a multitude of lenses as I came up the road. I still grab the D7200 & a zoomed fr tripping, but yes even my earlier iPhone 11 Pro Max gets most of the action any more… Rarely is Photoshop needed for corrections, Preview does fine for cropping…

There are still situations where a ‘real’ camera is useful, in my case macros or long lenses, I can see a jump coming once the 14 is out…

I know others, GKs with decent Canons or Nikons in the same boat, the best camera to have is the one on your hand!

1 Like

Yes, iPhone 13 Pro Max. The macro capability was why I got it.

…and for me the automatic macro of my husband’s iPhone 13 Pro Max immediately became essential gear when I am working on my reforestation project here in Mexico. I have captured staggering photos of very rare insects and one tiny flower thought no longer to exist in my State.

Husband wants his phone back, but cannot have it until we get another phone for me.

david fb

1 Like

Steve Jobs: (from the great beyond) Aha, my plan is still working!

PucksFool

Steve Jobs: (from the great beyond)

The man was a visionary of the first order.

Too bad this bright resident visionary failed to recognize the fact a lot earlier than I did two years ago!

My ‘one trick pony’ assessment… SHEESH!

1 Like

I do not understand your reply. Can you explain what you mean?

Thanks.

I do not understand your reply. Can you explain what you mean?

…I believe he’s suggesting he’s not quite the “visionary” that Steve Jobs was, as he only invested in AAPL 2 years ago thinking the iPhone was a “one trick pony”…

…how’d I do?..

2 Likes

I was in a similar place as you. I was looking for a new good go to lens for my Cannon. I am getting to old to carry around my lenses for the cannon all day. To get the
lighter lens I wanted was going to run me a couple of thousand dollars. I figured for over 90% of the photos I am taking the Apple 13 max pro had everything I needed and more. Plus it was at least half the cost of the good Cannon lenses I was looking at. I still have my heavier equipment if I need it. - Ned

2 Likes

<<I do not understand your reply. Can you explain what you mean?>>

…I believe he’s suggesting he’s not quite the “visionary” that Steve Jobs was, as he only invested in AAPL 2 years ago thinking the iPhone was a “one trick pony”…

…how’d I do?..

Well, almost… I was referring to my thinking about when Jobs returned to Apple, after the unceremonious ejection of John Scully. This was in the late 1980’s, early 1990’s, well before iPhones, iPads, and the “i” family of stuff.

I failed to realize Jobs’ full visionary abilities, thinking the Mac was his one and only BIG IDEA. His one-trick Pony. Later, when things got rolling, okay he’s a two-trick pony. Then three, then four, then…

I completely missed him. (Something my DW dutifully kept reminding me.)

(Oh well, better late than never I guess.)

2 Likes

I failed to realize Jobs’ full visionary abilities, thinking the Mac was his one and only BIG IDEA. His one-trick Pony. Later, when things got rolling, okay he’s a two-trick pony. Then three, then four, then…

…don’t be too hard on yourself…

…at that point Apple was left for dead…

…and only a lifeline from Microsoft, and Quicken’s decision to continue making software for the Macintosh kept it on life support…