The death of woke-fake meat

“We do eat home made sweet potato black bean burgers and shrimp creole using cashews, and lentil loaf (our version of meat loaf), but we use food as our ingredients.”

that sounds good, going to have to try that burger.

1 Like

Eating real food is a great idea! Well done!

The Captain

2 Likes

Impossible Foods Plans to Lay Off About 20% of Workers

• Workforce reduction follows another round of cuts in October

DB2

1 Like

I don’t eat this stuff! Do you? I would rather eat the real thing rather than some chemically modified/treated plant matter that is more expensive than the real thing and lines some billionaires pockets - just saying let them eat meat…doc

6 Likes

Any “food” that is highly processed is most likely bad for you. BTW, why don’t vegetarians mind killing plants?

The Captain

3 Likes

I know! Audrey may have been from outer space, but those triffids were home-grown…

Pete

3 Likes

Interesting thread with a few different themes running through it.

1. I don’t get the meatless burger thing, besides the fact that I tried one out of curiosity and wasn’t impressed. The whole meatless meat thing is like Jews for Jesus. It ain’t difficult folks, just choose one.

Anyway, as I age (like a fine wine or an illegal Cuban cigar), I find myself eating less red meat just because I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to. But I’m still good for a grilled steak or two over the summer. Unfortunately for hens, I like chicken.

1. I don’t make investment or purchase decisions based on the politics of the CEO. I kind of figure it’s their money to spend as they want (even if it’s for illegal Cuban cigars).

However, there are exceptions. If someone decides to get in my face about something I don’t like, I will go out of my way to avoid their product or to buy their stock for the portion of my portfolio that has individual stocks. But I’m not going to mention any names, like Elon Musk.

1. When I first noticed public officials using the term “woke”, I realized that even before they used the term “woke”, I thought they were inarticulate individuals who I considered to be idiots. Nothing has changed since these public officials started using the term “woke.” If you have a position you want to take as a public official (like making Cuban cigars legal already), articulate it, don’t spin code words to me.

Now I’m going outside to smoke an illegal Cuban cigar.

11 Likes

Any time I hear a person speak of “woke”, I disregard whatever it is they’re talking about, whether it’s a politician, or a “civilian”. Them invoking “woke” tells me all I need to know of their opinion.

I especially enjoyed it during the most recent election season with the TV ads. So easy to determine whom I would consider voting for, and whom I would not. I’m sure their focus groups are working OT to get “woke” out of their message, but I know a lot of their other tell tale buzzwords, too, so they’re going to have to work harder to not alienate independent voters. Too late for me,though, Im permanently alienated from the purveyors of the anti “woke” message.

7 Likes

Recently I heard the opinion on a podcast (I don’t remember the speaker’s name) that the groundswell of wokeness is so powerful that even people who don’t believe in it fear being cancelled if they don’t kowtow.

On other podcasts I’ve heard a couple of people saying they don’t give a s… because they can’t be cancelled but that means their livelihood is not controlled by somer institution or company but are independent. I’m all for self reliance.

The Captain

5 Likes

I disregard anyone using either “woke” or “cancelled”. It’s pretty much shorthand for “I have nothing to say”.

-IGU-

10 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/eric-adams-once-again-goes-to-town-on-woke-democrats/ar-AA17iWEE
Adams, who attended the speech as a guest of Representative Adriano Espaillat, was asked about the disconnect between working-class voters and the Democratic Party. Adams, who was a registered Republican for several years, said that there’s been “a hemorrhaging of our Latino community, our AAPI communities that’s leaving the traditional Democratic base.”

Adams cast blame for the trend on some party members, referring to them as “the loudest, and those who consider themselves to be ‘woke.’”

DB2

3 Likes

Exactly. BTW, how are folks here defining “woke”? If being woke includes becoming aware that highly processed foods are unhealthy, then condemning high processed fake meat is the woke thing to do.

Kind of ironic that a board ridiculing woke-ness is advocating a woke position.

5 Likes

Considering that the region most associated with disgust for “woke” is also the region where seemingly all food is deep fried (see Chick-fil-a’s new deep fried cauliflower, which the company, headquartered in Georgia, notes is not vegan), I would say wokeness or notwokeness has nothing to do with health or nutrition, but rather anything different.

Steve

3 Likes

Is ‘WOKE’ being abused? LOL

The Captain

3 Likes

That’s part of the irony. The folks that are most critical of “wokeness” are frequently the most apt to be woke. Republicans blame Democrats for wokeness, but look how quickly Lynn Cheney go cancelled. She wasn’t sufficiently woke to the glories of trump. Try saying “I think Critical Race Theory might be right” at a Florida school board meeting.

Don’t know about abused, but in the specific case of this thread there seems to be some cognitive dissonance.

Americans eat too much red meat.
Eating too much red meat has health consequences.
Stuff like “fake meat” are made to reduce red meat consumption.
Stuff like “fake meat” is condemned as woke.

This is why I have investments in the pharmaceutical industry.

3 Likes

A confusing state of affairs for sure.

My most recent reference to wokeness per my own definition was to myself. As in “Bloody heII, that woke me up”. Start of last Summer and our trip to London. We’d just come out of an exhibition at the London Docklands Museum in Canary Wharf (can recommend it mightily) titled “London, Sugar and Slavery” and focusing on the role of the West India Dock. Now, obviously I wasn’t totally oblivious to England’s role in the slave trade and was well aware that a good many institutions were founded on it (Tate Gallery springs to mind) but having the realities of the extent presented to me really opened my eyes. Here’s the thing…the only “fault” for that is my own and if I’d shown a bit more gumption and actual thinking about the topic, I would’ve been as aware as I am now all along rather than unaware and unawarenof the fact.

Enough about me. To the point of wokeness and how it pertains to eating habits/lifestyle choices etc, I’m thinking that something similar might apply. Maybe to someone who’s a late bloomer to the concept of healthy eating (per their own ideas, of course) there was a point where of realisation that their craptaculous eating habits were responsible for their own poor health and the discovery of something as novel as “Real Food” and non-ultra processed eating is their wokeness. A reference, maybe, that such choices were so obviously bad that only someone asleep would actually make them.

3 Likes

The recommendation is one of many made by the EEB (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology) Language Project, which includes scientists in the United States and Canada.

“Much of western science is rooted in colonialism, white supremacy and patriarchy, and these power structures continue to permeate our scientific culture,” some of its members wrote in a paper published in the journal Trends in Ecology and Evolution. In their view, the language used by researchers often bolsters a discriminatory status quo and should change.

Instead of male and female they recommended that biologists use terms such as “sporm-producing” or “egg-producing” to avoid reinforcing “heteronormative views”.

DB2

3 Likes

‘Binary terms’ male and female should be banned, say scientists

Culture warriors insist, unsurprisingly, that gender bias must remain in language. “Latina” and “Latino” are gender specific, so “Lantinx” has been offered as a gender neutral alternative, which, of course, makes the “warriors” foam at the mouth and start passing laws dictating which words can be used, and which are verboten.

As usual, the primary document is a little more nuanced. Like you, I didn’t read it in full, but here it is in case someone cares to form an opinion other than the one that The Times, Daily Mail and other outlets for the press release are encouraging

To me it is just another case of using PC language. The scientists recognize that there are two sexes, but instead of ‘male’ and ‘female’ they want to use ‘sp°rm producing’ and ‘egg-producing’ because they not heteronormative.

People here have posted they don’t know what the bru-ha-ha is about ‘woke’. It is things like this that produce a push back.

DB2

5 Likes