The "JC" mind at work

Red herring. Non-sequitur.

5 Likes

You do realize he can (and SHALL!!) claim "billions and billions* of US $$$$ tax lossesā€“which will ALL be paid to him by US taxpayers. Or did you NOT realize it?

6 Likes

Tax losses arenā€™t payments to him. They just offset taxes on the profitable parts of his businesses.

Like any other corporation. And for that matter, any individual with investment losses (with more restrictions).
Nothing wrong with that in our current system.

2 Likes

Change the tax system and eliminate everything corporate. ALL income is ā€œearned incomeā€ā€“and there is ONE tax tableā€“for ALL ā€œearned incomeā€. Corporations are ā€œpeopleā€, so they get the same tax deductions and exclusions as all other ā€œpeopleā€.

Do individuals get to tax deduct their ā€œcostsā€ from earned income? No. Yet business is allowed to do so. Business is allowed to deduct ā€œcapital expendituresā€ on themselvesā€“individuals are not.

And so on. There are far more protections AND protections in place to preserve invested assetsā€“for businesses. NOT for individuals.

1 Like

You know that wonā€™t happen, even for personal taxes on ā€œJCsā€. I have to laff when ā€œJCsā€ howl about the huge tax bill they pay, compared to average working people. Of course, they make hundreds, if not thousands, of times what average working people make. so, even if they paid the same percentage of their income in tax, it would be a larger amount. But, as Warren Buffet pointed out years ago, he pays a lower marginal tax rate than his secretary. But the ā€œsupply sidersā€ work is not done. Seems that even one nickle of tax is too much for a ā€œJCā€ to be ā€œburdenedā€ with.

Steve

4 Likes

I think you have no idea how taxes actually work. What you say is nonsense. Maybe in some different world that doesnā€™t exist.

-IGU-

2 Likes

You can deduct

• catastrophic losses.
  • Medical expenses over a certain amount.
  • Mortgage interest payments.
  • Childcare costs.
  • Student loan interest.
  • Charitable deductions.
  • Tuition and school fees, up to a point.
  • Fees to adopt a child.
  • State and local taxes.
  • Gambling losses (limited.)
  • IRA and 401k contributions.
  • Health Savings Accounts.
  • Home office deduction.
  • Investment losses (limited).

So Iā€™m gonna say, yeah.

3 Likes

Well sure, but a new tax system is not in the cards for any foreseeable future in the US.

1 Like

Sorry. These are hit and miss ā€œif applicableā€ costs. For an indie to be said to deduct their costs from their tax basis theyā€™d have to be able to deduct everything they spent on living that year. The expenses of living. Because thatā€™s their cost. Yes, I know this creates a dilemma. I donā€™t need the lecture. Also, to not allow bizz deductions is sort of ludicrous (at least until they reach the point where the deductions themselves become ludicrous. I think that concept is at the center of this cussinā€™ and discussinā€™)) I sell hot dogs. I buy 1,000 dogs at $1.00 a piece then sell them in the park for 2 bucks a piece. On what basis should I have to pay tax on the $2,000 I take in? I have to be able to deduct the 1 grand for the inventory. And thatā€™s business income not personal income so the comparison is needy

2 Likes

Actually, you just proved my point beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The workers have to buy from their suppliers to maintain their work machine(s) (their bodies)ā€“food, clothing, shelter, heat, whatever. How else will they be able to work if not ā€œsuppliedā€?

Game, set, match. If you donā€™t get it, then you donā€™t understand and it becomes pretty much impossible to teach those who refuse to learn.

1 Like

Ok I hear ya. If a corporation, and by extension any business, is a person or person-like, then a person can be regarded as one of those businesses. ie it has operating costs which must be deducted from gross receipts.
Iā€™ve always advocated making the standard deduction mandatory. No nickle and dime deductions. Then fixing it at, at least, the poverty level. The minimum it takes to live out there. (I know that over-simplifies.) Everything else, almost by definition, is profit and can be taxed.

Ideally youā€™d ask the richest guy out there what he thinks the minimum amount is he can get by on. Then make that everybodyā€™s standard deduction.

2 Likes