The myths of hypersonic missiles

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/hypersonics-defense/

Towards the bottom of this article the MIT professors studying to these missiles for defending against them get into just how problematic they are.

Do not be surprised if a hypersonic missile falls apart well before its target. This includes the Russian and Chinese missiles.

There is a big US budget to fight these missiles. We are in larger part hearing myths about how incredible the missiles are. As if just expand the budgets.

2 Likes

There is a big US budget to fight these missiles. We are in larger part hearing myths about how incredible the missiles are. As if just expand the budgets.

I’m still wondering why an automated radar/laser system couldn’t shoot these things down.

IIRC the Brits used the Chain Home Radar System to blunt the Nazi air attacks during the Battle of Britain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

Chain Home, or CH for short, was the codename for the ring of coastal Early Warning radar stations built by the Royal Air Force before and during the Second World War to detect and track aircraft. Initially known as RDF, and given the official name Air Ministry Experimental Station Type 1 in 1940, the radar units themselves were also known as Chain Home for most of their life. Chain Home was the first early warning radar network in the world, and the first military radar system to reach operational status. Its effect on the outcome of the war made it one of the most powerful weapons of what is today known as the “Wizard War”.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_Home_Low#:~:text=Chain%2….

A radar guided laser could burn a hole through to the missile’s side setting off the fuel and/or warhead in midair long before it hits its target.

1 Like

I’m still wondering why an automated radar/laser system couldn’t shoot these things down.

Ask and “Yee Ha” will answer. Believe it or not my Chinese barber’s name tag last week was Yee Ha! I don’t think she would be much help on the subject.

Anymouse <old Radar/ECM kind of guy>

https://www.military.com/equipment/weapons/why-russias-hyper…

Equipment Weapons

Why Russia’s Hypersonic Missiles Can’t Be Seen on Radar

The age of Russian superweapons is upon us – at least that’s what President Vladimir Putin wants us to believe.

And they are cause for concern because the United States’ traditional early warning systems might not be able to see those weapons coming.

Hypersonic weapons such as Russia’s 3M22 Zircon fly so fast and low – at speeds of up to Mach 6 and at a low atmospheric-ballistic trajectory – that they can penetrate traditional anti-missile defense systems.

The missile flies with an advanced fuel that the Russians say gives it a range of up to 1,000 kilometers. And it’s so fast that the air pressure in front of the weapon forms a plasma cloud as it moves, absorbing radio waves and making it practically invisible to active radar systems.

1 Like

David,

It is not as if lasers can not shoot them down. It is a matter of the funding to develop the means. I am for the funding. But the mythology is overdone.

Ask and “Yee Ha” will answer.

Hello, Yee Ha, glad to see you’re still reading my posts. :wink:

The thing about warfare is that for every new offense a new defense is developed.

Likewise, for every new defense a new offense is developed.

Give it time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/what-are-hypersonic-missiles-russ…

Russia’s hypersonic is very undependable, perhaps batting one for two right now.

1 Like

David,

It is not as if lasers can not shoot them down. It is a matter of the funding to develop the means. I am for the funding.

Ayup! Me too!

I guess we’ll just have to give it time.

As a young man I lived on what is called the “South Bay” of the Los Angeles coastline. It happened to be laser weapon central.

I would be absolutely gobsmacking AMAZED
if
the USA has not for some long time been funding
research and secret development of the means to both
see on radar as well as
rapid response knock down
offensive supersonic misslies.

My best surfing buddy for decades worked at Aerospace Corp, after first apprenticing the obvious advanced laser weapons university research centers, and then writing just the right PhD Theis at UCSanta Barbara. We talked a lot about the mathematics and complications of “megapower resonant light mechanisms” as they were sometimes obscurely called in the 70’s into the 80’s in coffee shops, steak houses, and bars near me.

I think Putin is playing with his supersonics mostly just to see if he can provoke the USA to show its still very secret hand as to countermeasures. I doubt the ploy will work.

david fb
(almost always wrong when imagining that some gobsmackingly idiotic thing can’t possibly happen because why would anyone do something so obviously self destructive?)

3 Likes

fb,

You are probably right but the question is deployment. Either on a ship to defend an aircraft carrier or in space on the satellites, this needs to be deployed. We just do not know that and seemingly it is has not been deployed.

I get there is misinformation in the fog of war preparations.

The cannon firing the block of iron was given up the press as a failure being defunded as cover I think.