TMF really hurting for a while.

Was it ever down for a while.
It is now coming back.

Someone used to post message counts on the boards. Then you could easily see which boards were most active, growing, etc.

The data are still available. But mostly we guess rather than document.

2 Likes

Big hunks of the Internet seemed to be down this ayem. Not only could I not connect to The Motley Fool, I could not even get to https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ (although it now seems to be up again. I am wondering if this is just a coincidence, or if the Internet is now being attacked.

1 Like

Again today. Internet went down from about 4:30AM to about 5:30AM today

Here is where it started working again. Perhaps it is just Verizon. This example is where BOINC was trying to upload some results… I was asleep at the time, so this is just from a log file.

Thu 23 Jun 2022 05:36:16 AM EDT | Started upload of universe_bh2_190723_404...
Thu 23 Jun 2022 05:36:27 AM EDT | Temporarily failed upload of universe_bh2_190723_404...: can't resolve hostname
Thu 23 Jun 2022 05:36:27 AM EDT | Backing off 00:02:34 on upload of universe_bh2_190723_404...
Thu 23 Jun 2022 05:36:33 AM EDT | BOINC can't access Internet - check network connection or proxy configuration.
Thu 23 Jun 2022 05:37:11 AM EDT | Scheduler request failed: Timeout was reached
Thu 23 Jun 2022 05:38:06 AM EDT | Sending scheduler request: Requested by project.
Thu 23 Jun 2022 05:38:06 AM EDT | Reporting 1 completed tasks

This example is where BOINC was trying to upload some results

Ah, BOINC. I used to run that on my work computer long ago until it became blocked.

So, I presume you’re running Universe@Home - https://universeathome.pl/universe/apps.php ?

Ah, BOINC. I used to run that on my work computer long ago until it became blocked.

So, I presume you’re running Universe@Home - https://universeathome.pl/universe/apps.php ?

Yes, I am running that with a rating of 1; i.e., not very important. My main interests are ClimatePrediction and World Community Grid. I am now running MilkyWay@home and Rosetta@home. Universe and MilkyWay are just to fill in the gaps between ClimatePrediction and WCG. WCG has been essentially down for four months and are now showing some signs of life, but supplying no work.

My ratings are intended to give my machine 50% to ClimatePrediction, 25% to WCG, and about 12% each to Rosetta and MilkyWay.

Off topic:

Cool, more Boinc users! I’ve got 11 Raspberry Pi’s running flat out, nine of them dedicated only to that purpose. Just today I tried to get my 16-thread MacBook Pro running it again, but as mentioned WCG is still down and for some reason Rosetta@Home isn’t giving me any work. (It’s whining about not having VirtualBox installed, but I’m not sure I want to go to that much trouble.)

I’ll give ClimatePrediction a whirl. Seems like a timely and worthy cause…

Bruce

My ratings are intended to give my machine 50% to ClimatePrediction, 25% to WCG, and about 12% each to Rosetta and MilkyWay.

I’d never heard of these. Very curious, I looked them up. Wow! That is fascinating and exciting, to enable your computer’s capabilities to contribute to research!

=sheila

1 Like

Cool, more Boinc users! I’ve got 11 Raspberry Pi’s running flat out, nine of them dedicated only to that purpose. Just today I tried to get my 16-thread MacBook Pro running it again, but as mentioned WCG is still down and for some reason Rosetta@Home isn’t giving me any work. (It’s whining about not having VirtualBox installed, but I’m not sure I want to go to that much trouble.)

The VirtualBox jobs are written in Python (IIRC) in such a way as to require VirtualBox for them to run. I, too, choose not to run VirtualBox. Their regular tasks have often week-long, sometimes longer, gaps between regular work unit availability.

I’ll give ClimatePrediction a whirl. Seems like a timely and worthy cause…

I think ClimatePrediction is the most important application I run, but lately they have had very few Linux jobs and I have seen no Windows jobs in over a year. I recently got 4 CPDN jobs that ran in a couple of days. They were re-runs; i.e., they were sent to someone else and a year later, when they timed out, they sent them to me. I had no trouble running them. Then recently I got another re-run that is grinding away now. That one takes about 8 days on my machine:

CPU type  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz [Family 6 Model 85 Stepping 7]
Number of processors 	16

Operating System Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.6 (Ootpa) [4.18.0-372.9.1.el8.x86_64|libc 2.28 (GNU libc)]
BOINC version 	7.16.11
Memory 	62.28 GB
Cache 	16896 KB

I’d never heard of these. Very curious, I looked them up. Wow! That is fascinating and exciting, to enable your computer’s capabilities to contribute to research!

I think so. For various reasons, I run my machine 24/7, so I can grind through a lot of work units. Also, my CPU has 16 cores, but I allow BOINC to use only 8 of them, so it never slows me down. You do not have to do that in Linux because BOINC runs these processes at the lowest priority (least likely to get a processor core). I am not quite sure what Windows does about this. It used to run these jobs as a screen saver so they would run only when you are not using the machine.

You do not have to be on-line all the time: only to download new work units, and to upload results.

I’ve now learned that my MacBook Pro is apparently too new to run ClimatePrediction??? It’s not like it’s an M1 - it’s Intel. :person_shrugging:???

I tried out the VBox stuff. Messy and I couldn’t get it to run all 16 threads.

I guess my best hope is for WCG to get up and running again. Meanwhile my Raspberry Pis are running one of the space oriented ones - don’t remember which offhand. Not too much runs on an ARM processor.

Bruce

You do not have to be on-line all the time: only to download new work units, and to upload results.

I work with a Macbook Air. And it’s on most of the time. I’m not very literate—I can do what I need to do, and am probably unaware of things that would make things easier/faster etc. But I have someone I can talk to to see how I can contribute. So glad this came up!

=sheila

1 Like

Here is how to get started with ClimatePrediction. Once it is set up for that, it is easy to add other projects.

At the Moment, ClimatePrediction is sending out work mainly for Linux systems, and precious few of those. So do not get discouraged.

https://www.climateprediction.net/getting-started/