travel warnings

So, we were musing about places to go. Checked the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica. Both had COVID travel warnings. One was level 2, the other level 4. Wow.

We hear about surges, but level 4 means “do not travel”. Maybe stick to first-world countries for now? I am assuming it is difficult to get people in CR or DR vaccinated, at least in part due to having to store the vaccine at very low temps.

1 Like

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-m…
Vaccination
Costa Rica has administered at least 10,313,681 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 102.2% of the country’s population.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-m…
Vaccination
Dominican Republic has administered at least 15,548,149 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 72.4% of the country’s population.

Both have a very high vaccination rate. The warning for Costa Rica is from January. Their current COVID rate is 5% of the peak in February. Dominican Republics current infection rate is 1% of their peak.

Checking is good but also verify current infection rates. Current infections rates could go either up or down.

Dominican Republic
1% of peak

3 infections per 100K people reported last 7 days

Updated 9:10 AM PDT

Dominican Republic is reporting 50 new infections on average each day, 1% of the peak — the highest daily average reported on January 12.

There have been 578,531 infections and 4,375 coronavirus-related deaths reported in the country since the pandemic began.

Costa Rica
5% of peak

39 infections per 100K people reported last 7 days

Updated 9:10 AM PDT

Costa Rica is reporting 282 new infections on average each day, 5% of the peak — the highest daily average reported on February 2.

5 Likes

I’ve been to Costa Rica twice in the past year. I stayed at a vacation home (vs hotel) and only participated in outdoor activities/dining. Those factors combined with being double vaxxed and boosted meant I didn’t feel particularly at risk. Obviously travel is inherently risky but I was comfortable going.

4 Likes

There was also comment on crime, and contributions to crime by the easy access to weapons in the country. So if there were no COVID, I’m not sure if CR would rate better or not.

But, yes, your point is well-taken that once should check COVID stats in addition to crime and political stability.

Plus, there also is hurricane season (probably more for DR than CR, since DR is closer to Florida). Probably would want to avoid that.

1poorguy

1 Like